Chaos on the South Oxford.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

There’s  a tow path there somewhere.

No, according to my (admittedly rather old) copy of Nicholsons, most of the South Oxford doesn't have a towpath because it has been washed away or is otherwise impossible. I can even remember when that was true.

Surely if a tree that is rooted on somebody else's land falls on to CRT property (ie canal) then CRT can claim back the full cost of its removal from that land owner. Oh if only they could be bothered to do so.

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

No, according to my (admittedly rather old) copy of Nicholsons, most of the South Oxford doesn't have a towpath because it has been washed away or is otherwise impossible. I can even remember when that was true.

Surely if a tree that is rooted on somebody else's land falls on to CRT property (ie canal) then CRT can claim back the full cost of its removal from that land owner. Oh if only they could be bothered to do so.

No, no the Sarf Oxenford has the most wonderful towpath in all Cristendom (? sp:)

doubt if CRT can claim - It's an Act of The Good Lord - many soslicitors would disagree as they can earn oddles of dosh arguing the issue.

Just get a few boaters with Stihl saws (thew only ones to use, you understand) and hey presto, loadsa' firewood for next winter which will be very harsh to make up for the lovely (?) weather that we've had in 2020....

We were talking about this just yesterday whilst travelling through one of the cuttings on the Shropshire Union. I think there are probably a lot more trees around now than in former years. If the canals were being maintained as a haulage business I would imagine that a lot of this greenery would be cleared out - but most of us rather like it, and the atmosphere it creates.

40 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

doubt if CRT can claim - It's an Act of The Good Lord - many soslicitors would disagree as they can earn oddles of dosh arguing the issue.

Funnily enough, last night I watched the video of "The Man who sued God". What a wonderful film that is!

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Peter Thornton said:

If the canals were being maintained as a haulage business I would imagine that a lot of this greenery would be cleared out - but most of us rather like it, and the atmosphere it creates.

Network Rail have picked up a lot of flack around here for felling trees on railway cuttings and embankments, to minimise leaves-on-the-line problems.

15 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

The Oxford Canal summat is suffering a shortage of water.The LL canal is also short of water.

I crossed the Oxford summit yesterday and it is not short of water; maybe 2 inches off weir but not enough to cause a problem.  Not normally prone to boating this in August but even with a 2 hour wait at Marston Doles being No.10 in the queue, the flight only took 2 hours to clear.

The Braunston pound is around 1 brick below normal though.  Too windy to try today! 

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Network Rail have picked up a lot of flack around here for felling trees on railway cuttings and embankments, to minimise leaves-on-the-line problems.

To be fair, they brought that on themselves, clear felling areas in nesting season is likely to cause a bit of a ruckus 

14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

No, no the Sarf Oxenford has the most wonderful towpath in all Cristendom (? sp:)

Just get a few boaters with Stihl saws (thew only ones to use, you understand) and hey presto, loadsa' firewood for next winter which will be very harsh to make up for the lovely (?) weather that we've had in 2020....

I am pleased to say that the towpath is indeed quite lumpy bumpy and oft overgrown, this is indeed very very good news for boaters. This is because unlike many places on the system we are now getting less and less cyclists tearing along in lycra with those daft bikes with with chewy tyres that cause ruts. No dodging the eejuts either as they simply know its hard work to cycle now.

• Greenie 4

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Did you miss the word "to out, and if so, do they answer you back? ??

Nope, I can talk about trees or talk trees all day, I rarely actually talk to trees, cause they don't listen or answer or quite frankly lack the nous to understand when someone does  :)

Just now, Machpoint005 said:

Only when he is paid to do so. Free advice (not by him) tends to be worth what you pay for it.

Advice freely given, unless you want me to put my name to it, then it costs  :)

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

I crossed the Oxford summit yesterday and it is not short of water; maybe 2 inches off weir but not enough to cause a problem.  Not normally prone to boating this in August but even with a 2 hour wait at Marston Doles being No.10 in the queue, the flight only took 2 hours to clear.

The Braunston pound is around 1 brick below normal though.  Too windy to try today! 

The opening hours restrictions on Napton are still there though, unless I missed something.  That is to allow the back pumping from the Braunston level to the summit to recover the level overnight.  So there is I believe a shortage of water, but the mitigation is working and the level is acceptable.

• Greenie 1

On 21/08/2020 at 16:20, tree monkey said:

Nope, I can talk about trees or talk trees all day, I rarely actually talk to trees, cause they don't listen or answer or quite frankly lack the nous to understand when someone does  :)

Advice freely given, unless you want me to put my name to it, then it costs  :)

They all go into a silent sulk cos you've just killed one of their mates. The Albert Pierrepoint of the woods. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just do what all the townie councils do!

Chop em all down, just in case.

Nevermind the fact that they convert the co2 from generators for tree hugging, smug "all electric" boaters to oxygen. And they provide free "fallen" wood for the woodburning brigade so CRT can see them moored there for more than 14 days

Judging by the number of boats that have passed us today as we did fazeley to hawkesbury it must be quiet on the Oxford now. Heading on towards Braunston tomorrow and then Southern Oxford from Tuesday.

Large stretches of the Southern Oxford towpath were certainly conspicuous their absence when I first went there in 1976.  When the weather was fine, some members of our party used to like walking along the tow path, when present.  We regularly had to stop and pick them up because the towpath had practically vanished. On one occasion the towpath edge gave way when someone was waiting to board, ending up with him sitting down in what might loosely have been described as water (more like green pea soup in appearance due to the drought).

Completely different on my last visit a decade or so ago - the part we were on was neatly piled and cleared. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Further thoughts, typo.

Sorry but you are all wrong, the main reason that trees fall is gravity! Sir Issac Newton figured this out when he noticed that apples float in water but not in air; further experimentation confirmed that apples also float in custard except when baked in an apple pie.

Had a tree down across the Coventry canal a couple of days ago and was forced to take this mooring

FBEBB66C-1CD2-4988-9BBF-9FF0FAA15607.jpeg.7cc643b7080ce807e96655f0f9ae4007.jpeg

Hate it when that happens??????