Chaos on the South Oxford.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

We were made aware of a fallen tree near Bridge 212. Lots of boats coming down the locks prior to the location. We passed the fallen tree scene, massive three. Got to Northbrook Lock. Many boats waiting to go through. Canal edge very overgrown with Reeds, difficult to get off and on to hold the boat. We decided to moor up and watch the world go by.

We think the whole world is going by. Feeling sorry for day boat hirers and boat hirers in general.

Is it me or does it seem that theres more falling trees than 10-15 years ago? Maintenance?

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We were made aware of a fallen tree near Bridge 212. Lots of boats coming down the locks prior to the location. We passed the fallen tree scene, massive three. Got to Northbrook Lock. Many boats waiting to go through. Canal edge very overgrown with Reeds, difficult to get off and on to hold the boat. We decided to moor up and watch the world go by.

We think the whole world is going by. Feeling sorry for day boat hirers and boat hirers in general.

Is it me or does it seem that theres more falling trees than 10-15 years ago? Maintenance?

No, the maintenance is perfect. Its climate change, too much rain, vandals too, not to mention boaters travelling too fast. Shouting too, all  not under control by C&RT.

• Greenie 1

Just like to say, in general, maintenance is NOT perfect. When a company becomes re-active rather than pro-active thats when they get on the slippery slope.

In addition  ive never shouted at a tree  making it fall over. Can speeding boats make trees fall over? Is there too much rain. The Oxford Canal summat is suffering a shortage of water.The LL canal is also short of water.

How does vandalism cause a tree miles from anywhere fall into a canal?

Just saying like.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Most of the fallen trees I've seen pictures of seem to be offside and mostly not under CRTs control, this also makes inspection harder because without 3rd party access agreement the area can only be viewed from towpath side.

I have no figures for this but purely based on experience i don't think there is a general increase in fallen trees, somewhat contrary to that though this year has been fairly extreme weather wise, hot, dry, wet, windy at various points through the summer, today and potentially tomorrow for example has some unusually high winds, which does not bode well for wet ground full canopy trees.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Most of the fallen trees I've seen pictures of seem to be offside and mostly not under CRTs control, this also makes inspection harder because without 3rd party access agreement the area can only be viewed from towpath side.

I have no figures for this but purely based on experience i don't think there is a general increase in fallen trees, somewhat contrary to that though this year has been fairly extreme weather wise, hot, dry, wet, windy at various points through the summer, today and potentially tomorrow for example has some unusually high winds, which does not bode well for wet ground full canopy trees.

A better and informative response.

46 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The weather for sure is a factor and I think you are right on the other points too.

The other thing is that with the email messaging we get from CRT we all have the means to get news from around the system. SO the reason we may perceive that there are more fallen trees is that we get to hear about them more often.

I also find it illogical that an organisation that has only existed for the last 8 years can be entirely responsible for a 100 or more year old tree from falling.  If lack of maintenance can be blamed at all it started a longer time ago than when CRT came into being.

• Greenie 2

If we accept that the money available to CaRT, of which part goes on maintenance, is insufficient to keep the system perfect at all times, or even tolerably usable, then CaRT have to take strategic decisions: either they can say that they will spread the money around fairly evenly with the result that everywhere is less good, or they can set a standard of maintenance and say that they will only accept responsibility for that portion of the network that can be fully funded and the less popular parts just have to be closed. 

Choosing the former is not so much a reactive approach as a proactive strategy to be reactive as routine preventative maintenance is outwith the budget.

Of course, it is up to folk to lobby for a higher level of funding but that is probably something that should be discussed elsewhere as, in a formal sense, it is politics.

9 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Firstly my questioning maintenance was just that. I am not aware of tree maintenance.

Also, just my own thoughts, When CRT came into existsnce didn't the management transfer from BW on TUPE or sone other scheme? 

Tree maintenance really does happen (I've seen it) - but just not enough of it.

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Firstly my questioning maintenance was just that. I am not aware of tree maintenance.

Also, just my own thoughts, When CRT came into existsnce didn't the management transfer from BW on TUPE or sone other scheme? 

Fountains were the veg maintenance contractor for BW and still are, the problem really is how do you target the work, the reality is, apart from inconvenience,  tree related issues cause relatively few problems and I suspect CRT consider there are other areas that need the cash more.

I know they do have a maintenance program based on a survey of the network, this was started when CRT came into being this should be repeated on a 4/5 yr basis, ideally this targeted the hazard trees and prioritizes the routine stuff.

How effective all this is or how well organized I have no idea