Engine Hole Cover Board

WJM

Featured Posts

I use Hexagrip its good and lasts years. Available on line or from wood yards but some will have to order it for you. My last lot I got from my mates boatyard as they keep stock for boat fitting and repairs. Its not hard to get hold of. Try a local boatyard or hire fleet?

5 hours ago, WJM said:

Can anyone suggest where I could get a replacement cover board for the engine hole on my Semi-Trad?

Are you just replacing one board or several? I have just replaced all mine. I bought an 8 x 4 sheet of 18mm hexagrip from our local timber yard. This is 12 ply + the finishing coating top and bottom (black - no colour choice).

It is excellent stuff, but my original boards were basic 18mm exterior plywood with deckaplex (or a similar vinyl) coating. They lasted 40 years and sere often subjected to rainwater.

Edited by PhilR

Whether you get Hexagrip or Buffalo make sure it is genuine. I bought what was described as buffalo board from an Ebay seller. Itwas a Chinese knockoff and it lasted less than a year. Marine ply seems to be very difficult to get hold of these days. Most wood merchants supplying WBP and saying it's as good as marine ply, it isn't. As said ensure the edges are very well sealed.

1 minute ago, pete.i said:

As said ensure the edges are very well sealed.

And if possible in exposed boards avoid if you can recessing lifting eyes/latches into them.

Magnet for water ingress.

Go to a commercial vehicle body builder if you know of any. I used to be in the trade and used wisa deck or enzo deck (think that's what it's called) same stuff my boards are made of, it's resin bonded and lasts for years, just paint the edges. Fully waterproof, used on truck and trailer body floors.

On 20/08/2020 at 00:31, nbfiresprite said:

Pressure treated Arbordeck Premium Decking Board (120mm x 32mm) is what I used to cover the engine. Heavy duty unlike that thin stuff from a DIY shed or Garden Centre.  Been in place for sixteen years, not a hint of rot anywhere. 

That's a bold statement...  ;)

• Haha 1

On 27/08/2020 at 07:49, Musetta37 said:

Go to a commercial vehicle body builder if you know of any. I used to be in the trade and used wisa deck or enzo deck (think that's what it's called) same stuff my boards are made of, it's resin bonded and lasts for years, just paint the edges. Fully waterproof, used on truck and trailer body floors.

I second this as I was in the vehicle body building trade too

Graham

On 20/08/2020 at 00:31, nbfiresprite said:

Pressure treated Arbordeck Premium Decking Board (120mm x 32mm) is what I used to cover the engine. Heavy duty unlike that thin stuff from a DIY shed or Garden Centre.  Been in place for sixteen years, not a hint of rot anywhere. 

At 32mm thick it must be bloomin heavy!