Jeff78

Featured Posts

Hi,

we’re off for 7 nights and was wondering if anyone can advise on options for WiFi or buy an unlimited data Sim ? The boat does not have it.

It will not be used during the cruising time, just for use in the evening between 4 people.

All Help gratefully received 

WiFi reception will only work if you are in range of an access point and have the password, if any is required. You might be able to pick up a signal if moored directly outside a pub for example. 

Otherwise, a data SIM. Put it in a MiFi gadget to make your own wifi access point. Alternatively, if you have a phone with a good data package, set it up as a portable hotspot. 

Jen

• Greenie 1

something like this: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-36gb-data-30-days.html

in something like this: https://ebay.us/NPKWXy

just blue-tack the Huawei to the window and recharge it whilst cruising

those are just examples and not necessarily the best place to buy, gives you an idea though

26 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

n something like this: https://ebay.us/NPKWXy

just blue-tack the Huawei to the window and recharge it whilst cruising

I killed one of those by putting it in a south facing boat window on what turned out to be the hottest day of that year! 

Jen

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I killed one of those by putting it in a south facing boat window on what turned out to be the hottest day of that year! 

Jen

Ours survived ok the other week when it hit 30something, but on a couple of moorings we had to remove it from the window and stick it on the bench in the well deck to get a better signal. I'm now looking for an external antenna for it to avoid this in future.

37 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just tether to your phone.  It's the simplest option and works fine for me.

That's what I was thinking.... out of 4 people, you would think that one would have an unlimited data plan, or a high Gb data plan, (Mine is 100Gb per month, rather than unlimited).

Alternatively, one of them could buy a large/unlimited data add on for a month.

e.g. Three - 1 month unlimited add on = £15 :

http://www.three.co.uk/support/more-allowance

Not sure whether they are tetherable, but a bit of digging would find out.

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

That's what I was thinking.... out of 4 people, you would think that one would have an unlimited data plan, or a high Gb data plan, (Mine is 100Gb per month, rather than unlimited).

Alternatively, one of them could buy a large/unlimited data add on for a month.

e.g. Three - 1 month unlimited add on = £15 :

http://www.three.co.uk/support/more-allowance

Not sure whether they are tetherable, but a bit of digging would find out.

It is.

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

My phone is on GiffGaff, which despite using the O2 network does not get the same signal my wife's work phone does on O2 so no good for that, its on a cheap tariff and i have no need to change it.

The dongle is only used on the boat or on other holidays and its just easier to have everyone including guests connect to that, works for us, other opinions are available ;)

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Ours survived ok the other week when it hit 30something, but on a couple of moorings we had to remove it from the window and stick it on the bench in the well deck to get a better signal. I'm now looking for an external antenna for it to avoid this in future.

I bought this from Solwise several years ago, but its about ten quid cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0001-Cross-Polarised-Antenna/dp/B00C1DGFPS

Gets a great signal in some very poor signal areas.

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I bought this from Solwise several years ago, but its about ten quid cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0001-Cross-Polarised-Antenna/dp/B00C1DGFPS

Gets a great signal in some very poor signal areas.

i'll probably go for something like that when we splash out on our own boat, but whilst we're in a syndicate it's too much outlay for 8weeks a year.

i may change my mind if the cheapy ones don't cut it though :D

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i'll probably go for something like that when we splash out on our own boat, but whilst we're in a syndicate it's too much outlay for 8weeks a year.

i may change my mind if the cheapy ones don't cut it though :D

Can't you persuade the syndicate they need it for the boat equipment.   I suspect most owners would benefit.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Can't you persuade the syndicate they need it for the boat equipment.   I suspect most owners would benefit.

Some are a bit old fashioned and not even convinced of the merits of a TV, suspect a dedicated MiFi device would blow their mind :D

Its been suggested this years AGM is conducted via a Zoom meeting.........

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

Some are a bit old fashioned and not even convinced of the merits of a TV, suspect a dedicated MiFi device would blow their mind :D

Its been suggested this years AGM is conducted via a Zoom meeting.........

That would help swing the vote towards the internet users ...

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

My phone is on GiffGaff, which despite using the O2 network does not get the same signal my wife's work phone does on O2 so no good for that, its on a cheap tariff and i have no need to change it.

All our phones are on GiffGaff, I just change the Goody Bag to 80gb one before my 2gb one runs out whilst we are away, usually lasts a couple of weeks. I then change it back before the 80gb one runs out.

I don't go unlimited as that has speed restrictions with use and the 80gb doesn't. Total cost £20 less the £8 I would be paying anyway so £12 extra. Easy and cheap.

If I didn't need to get into my home network I would just take the 3 sim out of that. ;)

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

If only one knew what that meant or even howtodoit !

Its a setting on your phone that makes it act like a WiFi router, so other devices can connect to it and use its data if you give them the details. Some phone companies used to frown upon this practice, think they pretty much all allow it now.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Its a setting on your phone that makes it act like a WiFi router, so other devices can connect to it and use its data if you give them the details. Some phone companies used to frown upon this practice, think they pretty much all allow it now.

On my Samsung S10 it's 

Settings 

Connections

Mobile Hotspot and Tethering

You activate Tethering, create a password, then others will see something that looks like a normal wireless network that they can connect to if they have the password. 

On my iPhone I think the same thing is called a Personal Hotspot. 

22 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

On my Samsung S10 it's 

Settings 

Connections

Mobile Hotspot and Tethering

You activate Tethering, create a password, then others will see something that looks like a normal wireless network that they can connect to if they have the password. 

On my iPhone I think the same thing is called a Personal Hotspot. 

On the iPhone it's;

Settings

Personal Hotspot

Allow Other to Join - turn on

then set a Wi-Fi Password

On other phones/devices it then shows as an available WiFi network that they join using the password you set above, so very similar to Android

I just want to watch the racing when football is on...... I re-set my phone when it sulks.

I'm thinking I need a proper laptop, the kind that doesn't roll over and die when  I spill a few ml of white wine on the keyboard.

Budget is about £2-300 , must be faster to react than my tablet.

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I just want to watch the racing when football is on...... I re-set my phone when it sulks.

I'm thinking I need a proper laptop, the kind that doesn't roll over and die when  I spill a few ml of white wine on the keyboard.

Budget is about £2-300 , must be faster to react than my tablet.

Teensy bit over your budget but a cracking lappy for the money...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9192562

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Teensy bit over your budget but a cracking lappy for the money...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9192562

That won't stand up to much wine though, maybe better with something like...

https://www.fullyrugged.co.uk/panasonic-toughbook-cf-19-core-i5-mk4-rare-finger-touchscreen-tb444?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfkvoc4I5nWFWcbTA3gjYVBCmJ2qFCBrn5mZt0yvdXbkX-fO4Axzil4aAuS0EALw_wcB

:D