Hillmorton Elsan Closed

canalboat

Featured Posts

This reminds me of my first canal holiday in 1976 when we hired the entire original Black Prince fleet of two boats. One (Rodney I think) had loos that pumped effluent out of the bottom of the hull into the canal. The other (Nelson) had two Elsans. Included in Nelson's equipment was a spade that the owner said was for emergency use! If the elsans got full and there was no sanitary station, we were use the spade to dig a hole in the towpath into which the elsan's contents could be emptied and buried.  Well, fill they did, accessible sanitary stations there were none (due to restricted lock opening hours), and one of our crew, who was in the Territorials, decided it was a good opportunity to practice trench digging. The towpath was far too hard to dig, but there was a convenient adjacent field in which he duly disposed of the  contents as per the emergency instructions! 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typos

In the hot summer of 1976 I and my cousin spent a week sailing around the Norfolk Broads in my GP14 camping on the banks at night in tents. All we had was a bucket and toilet roll. One morning at 6,30am I fancied a sit on grasping the bucket and bog roll went outside to do it on the bank of the river Bure. I had a lovely view until a huge motor cruiser hove into that view from around a bend with women sunning on the roof,''It was hot even at 6.30am''. There I was was with my pants down sitting on the bucket with the bog roll next to me in full view of the cruiser which I didn't hear coming. They also had a lovely view, an astonishing one.

• Greenie 1

• 11 months later...

The annual closing of Hillmorton elsan has been going on since June.  Getting on for 2 months.  Anyone heard anything about it reopening?

The stoppages page says:

image.png.2409aa1dca552b0329f33990afd34ab6.png

Now I'm not sure how much this is actually good news.  The other facility nearby at Brownsover is just a water tap isn't it?  Or am I wrong and there's an elsan there too?

I thought I read on here this morning that the Elsan at Hillmorton had been fixed but I can't find the message now! It was apparently an oval plastic lid jammed in the pipe. Maybe it was on FB I read it and if it was, I'll never find it again 

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Brownsover between Bridges 58 & 59 ?

The whole point of my resurrecting this thread was to enquire as to whether there's an elsan there.  Are you saying there definitely is?  I'm not sure. The CRT canal map says no.  And the boating guide on waterscape says no.

18 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The whole point of my resurrecting this thread was to enquire as to whether there's an elsan there.  Are you saying there definitely is?  I'm not sure. The CRT canal map says no.  And the boating guide on waterscape says no.

It exists, albeit it is a bit of a stealth facility.

AFAIK It is not a CRT elsan point, but is owned by the local council.  It is in  the left  canalside corner of the red brick public toilet building by the offside car park adjacent to the water point. Helpfully there are no signs, but a Watermate key fits the door lock.

The public bogs are usually closed because when open  they rapidly become a haunt of undesirables, cottagers etc.   The elsan point is regularly out of order  so do not rely on it!

N

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

It exists, albeit it is a bit of a stealth facility.

AFAIK It is not a CRT elsan point, but is owned by the local council.  It is in  the left  canalside corner of the red brick public toilet building by the offside car park adjacent to the water point. Helpfully there are no signs, but a Watermate key fits the door lock.

The public bogs are usually closed because when open  they rapidly become a haunt of undesirables, cottagers etc.   The elsan point is regularly out of order  so do not rely on it!

N

Aha!!  So no wonder I was confused.  It's another Westport Lake scenario.  Or Schroedinger's Elsan.  If I venture inside, will a cat spontaneously appear?

The door is guarded by Maxwell's demon. This ensures that any cat has to rely on quantum  entanglement to affect things in Elsan space.   Cats are known to engage in entanglement , if perhaps more noisily than Einstein might have wished.

N

I guess all these references to quantum physics is apt, after all elsans are black holes that dispose of dark matter ;) 

(technically not correct, black holes don't dispose of dark matter but ... )

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, PCSB said:

I guess all these references to quantum physics is apt, after all elsans are black holes that dispose of dark matter ;) 

(technically not correct, black holes don't dispose of dark matter but ... )

So what would happen if you threw a cat in a box in a black hole

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Would the uncertainty keep the cat alive, if indeed the cat was actually in there.

In principle it could do, or it could also be dead too ... 

btw I love/hate QP - does my noodle in ;)

Edited by PCSB
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

It shows on my Waterway Routes map as an Elsan point, never stopped there myself as we’re pumpout, but i have seen folk with cassettes marching with purpose towards it as we’ve cruised by.

1829EAF6-6F39-4DB7-8E02-6CA37C1C3DC3.png

When I worked with the police in rugby in the norty 90s all  the ‘facilities’ at brownsover were fully in operation.

Water elsan and all varieties of sexual encounter.

I used to go through on the boat looking at the boats moored there and think i wonder if you know.

brownsover was where you went to get ‘ a bit of brown’, the city drug dealers of birmingham and london loving drugby for its ease of access, in those days heroin being the drug of choice.

it was always the first stop for  the mentally fragile escaping london, who would get off at this nice little town, get picked up by the police. Id then have to get them sent back to wherever they came from, when they discovered it was not such an inviting place.

Last time I moored there over Christmas (2015 I think), there were a group of Polish workers living in there....

It had been shut a couple of years before that.

I ran a pub in Rugby in the early 1990s, and fully agree with the above description.