Hillmorton Elsan Closed

canalboat

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

As they say... if you think you understand QP, it obviously wasn't explained to you properly. 

Oh heck no, no way I understand it :) but I do find it fascinating/confusing/confounding and challenging. 

5 hours ago, haggis said:

I thought I read on here this morning that the Elsan at Hillmorton had been fixed but I can't find the message now! It was apparently an oval plastic lid jammed in the pipe. Maybe it was on FB I read it and if it was, I'll never find it again 

Just read on FB its closed again today. I think the comment was on here about it being cleared

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

So what would happen if you threw a cat in a box in a black hole

The idea that you can't know whether a cat in a box is alive or dead until you open the box is the sort of thing theoretical physicists might believe. Most people would just be wondering where that terrible smell is coming from.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, alias said:

The idea that you can't know whether a cat in a box is alive or dead until you open the box is the sort of thing theoretical physicists might believe. Most people would just be wondering where that terrible smell is coming from.

That's missing the point. It's the looking that causes it to be alive (or dead), Shirley. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Aha!!  So no wonder I was confused.  It's another Westport Lake scenario.  Or Schroedinger's Elsan.  If I venture inside, will a cat spontaneously appear?

I can confirm there is an Elsan at Brownsover as I last used it 2 weeks ago. It seemed to be working fine, albeit a bit slow to drain. Perhaps that means a blockage is imminent?

The front of the building (near the waterpoint) has bricked entrances to the bogs. The Elsan is round the back. There is a sign on the side of the building facing the canal but it's easily missed if you weren't looking for it. I reckon the majority of people who stop at Brownsover don't know it's there. I've certainly never seen anyone else use it during the numerous times I've moored there.

I don't know if it's a CRT facility but I'm pretty sure I've had stoppage notices from CRT about it in the past so I assume it is.

The facility at Hawkesbury Junction was working, and in a reasonable state, when I used it about 3 days ago.

I moored at Hillmorton VMs above the locks Wednesday night. On Thursday morning I spoke to a boater who had just got back from using the Elsan near the Canalchef cafe so it was working then. Whether or not it still is I could not say. 

16 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

It shows on my Waterway Routes map as an Elsan point, never stopped there myself as we’re pumpout, but i have seen folk with cassettes marching with purpose towards it as we’ve cruised by.

1829EAF6-6F39-4DB7-8E02-6CA37C1C3DC3.png

I have no idea what any of those symbols mean but it looks like someone's been playing Blockbusters on your map.

55 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have no idea what any of those symbols mean but it looks like someone's been playing Blockbusters on your map.

That brings a new take on the classic line "I'll have a 'P' please Bob". 😁

• Haha 1