Hillmorton Elsan Closed

canalboat

Featured Posts

The Elsan at Hillmorton Locks is blocked. That of course does not stop people still emptying their effluent into it even though it overflows direct into the canal.

Reported to CRT and Southern Water as its attached to their pumping station.. 

Southern Water turned up but said its a CRT problem.

No sign of CRT yet.

Recommend no swimming.

Edited by canalboat

And its closed again.  That is after the contractors went away after apparently unblocking it. 

And so is one of the bottom locks closed again after a bus-load of CRT experts "repaired" it from being closed yesterday.  

Quite a long tail back of boats heading South. Not so many heading North.

3 minutes ago, canalboat said:

And its closed again.  That is after the contractors went away after apparently unblocking it. 

And so is one of the bottom locks closed again after a bus-load of CRT experts "repaired" it from being closed yesterday.  

Quite a long tail back of boats heading South. Not so many heading North.

SHAMEFUL!

Why can't they do things properly? Its not rocket science, its a 200 year old basic system as they keep telling us.

Has no one phoned Dyno Rod?

A long story which i won’t bore you with. But I proved that a well know drain clearance company, when called out, just move the blockage a number feet, innall sense and purposes, cleared. A week or two later a recall is required as the drain gets backed up again.   Clever ain’t it, until someone finds out whats going on.

I have no reason to not believe this is the case with CRT contractors. 

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

Did they say how?

Now that is an explanation I would love to see.  Just proves that those that should, really know nothing at all.

A lock with a boat in does save water.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

When I pressed them they came up with a variety of fatuous reasons. The only one that even remotely made any sense was that it causes a queue which reduces the number of lockings possible in a day and even discourages some people from going that way at all.

5 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

And CRT have many times told me they prefer to have one of the locks out of action at Hillmorton because it saves water.

Returning from Oxford 3 weeks ago, we approached the middle lock on the right hand side from which a hire boat had pulled away from to the left hand lock. The boat in the right hand lock came up, then descended to join the queue on the other side, as the "lock was not filling. It gets 3/4 way up and no further" ( ex Challenger, so time share)

I refilled the lock, to just over 3/4 and opened the gate and descended. The hire boat said it was not filling and asked how I'd done it. I pointed out the the pound between the top and middle locks was about 15" down. No wonder water gets wasted.

Volockie tweeted that 58 boats went through yesterday with delays of up to four hours. Its shameful that the broken lock equipment causes such delays.

Useless cart

Edited by Loddon
Numlexia

Afew years ago we got held up in a queue of traffic on the M40. At least a couple of hours. Anyway, there was an enterprising Ice Cream van vendor. He had a captive audience for his wares. He just sounded his nursery tune once and he had a queuethat walked with him as the traffic moved 10 yds or so at a time. Lovely!

No change on the Elson front. Still closed. Some boaters took to emptying into the used the lockup loo until that got blocked until one of the lock-keepers unbunged it (not quite in the volunteers handbook). Boaters are saying that the next Elson points  in both directions are also blocked. 

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Time to get a composting loo?

Think about it while you are in the queue

what better plaice to dispose of your ...

If the Elsan stations are used properly,blockages are rare,and easily dealt with.

The problems come because blockheads shove stuff in them that they are not designed to cope with.

There is a poster in my local station (and I am sure,others too) saying what contractors have pulled out.These included duvets,boots,sleeping bags,engine oil and all sorts of other stuff.

51 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Volockie tweeted that 85 boats went through yesterday with delays of up to four hours. Its shameful that the broken lock equipment causes such delays.

Useless cart

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Edited by Athy

51 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Volockie tweeted that 85 boats went through yesterday with delays of up to four hours. Its shameful that the broken lock equipment causes such delays.

Useless cart

Fake news, that's 58 with my old glasses.

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Problem with being numlexic first thing in the morning

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Fake news, that's 58 with my old glasses.

Now edited numlexia rules

And for the latest in the drama - CRT got a telephone call this morning from a boater in a hospital bed. 
He explained that he had struggled with two toilet tanks up to the Elsan point from his boat moored below Hillmorton bottom Lock to find it was closed.
He struggled back with his two full training weights but collapsed, and an ambulance crew recovered him to the road and took him to hospital.

You may imagine this would spur CRT into action - Silly you.  The Elsan Point is still closed.

On 19/08/2020 at 17:46, OldGoat said:

Amazing! (cleanup is not our job Guv.....)

i dare say you are correct  it isn't their job and they would not be paid for it. However C&RT  should have mobilised a cleaner.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, MartynG said:

i dare say you are correct  it isn't their job and they would not be paid for it. However C&RT  should have mobilised a cleaner.

If!, they were infact informed by the contractors that a clean was required. Not all ‘clearances’ need cleaning up afterwards.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if they cleaned them as a matter of course after servicing or clearing blockages ? It might help people appreciate them more and attempt to keep them clean also .... obviously there are people out there who won't but perhaps for the others it might be a nicer experience :)