Edward Elgar using CRT visitor moorings @ Stourport

frangar

Featured Posts

It seems that the Edward Elgar now takes up a good proportion of the visitor moorings on the Severn at Stourport on certain days....I’m sure it used to have its own mooring here. 

These signs appeared this morning between me checking to see what space is available and trying to moor which I think is taking the tiddle somewhat given the limited pontoons on the river. I see no reason why they couldn’t at least use the wide lock waiting area rather than the 48hr section of the pontoon. 

I shall be writing to CRT to see if it’s an authorised use...the Severn area has form of letting trip boat operators take over as with the use of the Upton visitor mooring a few years ago.

To my mind if a commercial operator wants a mooring then they should install their own. Chatting to the locals here the Edward Elgar used to have a mooring further upstream previously but rumours have it it’s now in new ownership. 

DFED1B25-42BA-40D5-860E-87086F9CD5F6.jpeg.deb00a8c7186ba43d833dd01742bcee5.jpeg

46497FFE-6535-4BAE-BA52-69E2032E50B3.jpeg.468e1d2ade65209cdab6dfe37001a8cc.jpeg

Edited by frangar

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Could just be me, but that does not look legit

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Check with cart I reckon that's cows droppings by some chancers.

I entirely agree.

It apparently did the same thing last Wednesday...it’s not due here till 1115 on weds according to its itinerary so it’s ridiculous to say you can’t moor on Tuesday night....

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Could just be me, but that does not look legit

I think it is legit even though it doesn't look at all professional. There have been similar signs at various places on the G&S canal in the past. It is a terrible way for CRT to treat their customers/licence payers. Surely if a money making business wants to operate they should provide their own mooring.

1 minute ago, F DRAYKE said:

These signs used to appear at this location when I was up that way back in 2018, so nothing new. 

I don’t remember seeing them when I was last here...maybe I was lucky...however long they have been here it’s still not on. 

3 hours ago, Steve56 said:

It is a terrible way for CRT to treat their customers/licence payers. Surely if a money making business wants to operate they should provide their own mooring.

Why don't you think the Edward Elgar pay for a CRT commercial licence at considerably higher rates than pleasure boat licences?

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Why don't you think the Edward Elgar pay for a CRT commercial licence at considerably higher rates than pleasure boat licences?

I'm sure they pay for a commercial licence, and at a higher rate than the leisure licence. Also I am sure the earn a considerable profit from the vessel, much more than you could ever get from a private boat.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Why do you think this entitles them to use very limited visitor moorings along a stretch of river?? 

33 minutes ago, frangar said:

Why do you think this entitles them to use very limited visitor moorings along a stretch of river?? 

Because unlike the majority of craft using the River Severn it is too big to access the canals at Worcester or Stourport. Is it established that CRT only provide visitor moorings for private licence holders? It appears CRT think not.

There are hotel boats on the network that seem to operate solely on non-dedicated moorings, and how different is it from hire boats if holding a form of commercial licence is the key factor?

Large though it may be the boat is appropriate to the waterway, it could be argued that a narrowboat is less so. In any case there’s no shortage of mooring for narrowboats in Stourport, or in Worcester for that matter. At Upton that’s not the case but that’s a matter to be taken up with CRT and not used against the owners of the Edward Elgar, or the commercial boat that does (or did) moor at Upton.

JP

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Because unlike the majority of craft using the River Severn it is too big to access the canals at Worcester or Stourport. Is it established that CRT only provide visitor moorings for private licence holders? It appears CRT think not.

There are hotel boats on the network that seem to operate solely on non-dedicated moorings, and how different is it from hire boats if holding a form of commercial licence is the key factor?

Large though it may be the boat is appropriate to the waterway, it could be argued that a narrowboat is less so. In any case there’s no shortage of mooring for narrowboats in Stourport, or in Worcester for that matter. At Upton that’s not the case but that’s a matter to be taken up with CRT and not used against the owners of the Edward Elgar, or the commercial boat that does (or did) moor at Upton.

JP

I’ve never seen a reserved mooring for hotel boats on the narrow canal network or any rivers for that matter...as for your assumption that narrowboats can moor in other places why should they??...and for your information it was a Dutch barge that was having difficulty finding a mooring on the pontoon because of these signs. If the Edward Elgar wants to be able to moor in a a particular place at a particular time then they need to make their own mooring....as indeed they have or did have in Worcester....and at their base in Gloucester....maybe I should moor on them and see if they object! 

A potential outcome of too many boaters playing their faces could be that the very same piece of mooring would be permanently nominated for use of commercial craft. There’s nothing to prevent CRT doing that since they aren’t obliged to provide purpose built moorings for the exclusive use of pleasure boat licence holders. Many commercial operators have agreements with CRT to use moorings that would otherwise be available for general use. So it may be better that the current arrangement - assuming it is with the blessing of CRT - is respected for the benefit of all users.

What would be an improvement would be proper signage with accurate details of when the craft requires the mooring as it clearly doesn’t require the mooring to be free for the full period the notice is displayed. Your energies may be better put to use suggesting that to CRT.

Should not all licence holders - irrespective of what type - be helping each other to make genuine use of the waterways? I’d say so, hence as a narrowboat owner I’d have no problem in vacating a river mooring in favour of a craft less suited or unable to access other available moorings. That’s just reasonable behaviour to my mind. Would you really choose to spite them instead?

JP

ETA - the point about use of moorings by other hotel boats is that it isn’t a general requirement for such boats to conduct their business solely via their ‘own’ moorings (noting that ‘own’ would likely be CRT provided for exclusive use in any case).

Edited by Captain Pegg

7 hours ago, Cheese said:

Perhaps you want C&RT to make it a bookable mooring - with Edward Elgar booking it every Wednesday, and others having to pay to use it the rest of the week?

If they build their own mooring that others could pay for and book when they are not using it then that’s fine. 

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I wonder howc many people have been unable to moor here because the Edward Elgar was occupying the moorings?

If zero or close to it then there is no need for the arrangements to change.

Well all the pontoons were full last night with one boat on the wide lock waiting area because of the signs...there’s only space for roughly 4 boats without the restrictions. 

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Surely not to be allowed to commandeer what ever moorings they like when they like.    Are you suggesting hire boats should also be allowed to commandeer moorings?

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Surely not to be allowed to commandeer what ever moorings they like when they like.    Are you suggesting hire boats should also be allowed to commandeer moorings?

Not at all.  Steve said he thought CRT customers/ licence payers were being treated terribly but it seems that the Edward Elgar is getting very well looked after indeed.  I simply asked why he didn't think the Eddie was a CRT licence paying boat.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not at all.  Steve said he thought CRT customers/ licence payers were being treated terribly but it seems that the Edward Elgar is getting very well looked after indeed.  I simply asked why he didn't think the Eddie was a CRT licence paying boat.

My apologies for a slight misread.   However even if it is a CRT licence paying boat other customers of CRT are being badly treated when a boat can commandeer a lump of a CRT mooring for its own use.

It is similar to CMers commandeering a stretch of towpath as exclusively theirs, only short term i.e. parts of the week rather than permanently.

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I've never much liked Elgar's music either.

Don't know how much of Elgar's music you have heard,but if you are basing your opinion on Pomp and Circumstance (Land of Hope and Glory) marches ,then you are missing a trick.

Try Enigma Variations,Symphony No1,In  The South overture or Falstaff.

As a retired orchestral player,I think Elgar is one of the worlds great composers.

This is of course nowt to do with boats,just felt I had to say something about Elgar.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

My apologies for a slight misread.   However even if it is a CRT licence paying boat other customers of CRT are being badly treated when a boat can commandeer a lump of a CRT mooring for its own use.

It is similar to CMers commandeering a stretch of towpath as exclusively theirs, only short term i.e. parts of the week rather than permanently.

All it needs is some proper CRT signage detailing the times the mooring is required for use by the Edward Elgar.

JP