Which L&LC boats are still surviving, and where?

Pluto

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Jake6625 said:

I'm also trying to find a yarwoods mooring bollard for the starboard bow if anyone has one laying around

They aren't anything complicated.  A couple of bits of tube cut at an angle mounted on a baseplate gets you most of the way there.  Add a couple of caps and a couple of bits of bar and any fabricator worth their salt can make one - especially if they have the port one to look at!

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They aren't anything complicated.  A couple of bits of tube cut at an angle mounted on a baseplate gets you most of the way there.  Add a couple of caps and a couple of bits of bar and any fabricator worth their salt can make one - especially if they have the port one to look at!

I was trying to find a original with the yarwoods markings on the cap, all the others have them, trying to keep as much original if I can.

1 minute ago, Jake6625 said:

I was trying to find a original with the yarwoods markings on the cap, all the others have them, trying to keep as much original if I can.

How much are you offering?  I have a battery angle grinder and know where four of them moor ...

:icecream:

Is it still at Laleham? 

I see they (4allmarine) managed to salvage the old tug Endeavour. That looks an interesting project but I think the 8 cylinder Gardner was taken out before it went down. 

I always liked that tug, remember it from before it had the bridge collisions. Pretty boat that is. 

Good luck with A39 it's a nice boat. Came down the east coast a few years ago under its own power. 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Is it still at Laleham? 

I see they (4allmarine) managed to salvage the old tug Endeavour. That looks an interesting project but I think the 8 cylinder Gardner was taken out before it went down. 

I always liked that tug, remember it from before it had the bridge collisions. Pretty boat that is. 

Good luck with A39 it's a nice boat. Came down the east coast a few years ago under its own power. 

Not at Laleham anymore, back out cruising the thames. 

I thought I read she had come down the east coast on her own power, got to have been a scary journey but has the right engine for it. 

7 minutes ago, Pluto said:

This is A39, probably when under test on the Weaver. The photo is from the collection in the archive at Ellesmere Port.

1930s? A39 on test?, Waterways Archive.jpg

Thank you the lovely photo, its a early picture as she still has the widox 18hp in that picture, I have been told your knowledge about the L&L's is extensive, I have read a few of your previous posts about her.

7 hours ago, Jake6625 said:

Thank you the lovely photo, its a early picture as she still has the widox 18hp in that picture, I have been told your knowledge about the L&L's is extensive, I have read a few of your previous posts about her.

Widdop not Widox. 

There is quite a long thread on Thunderboat about L&L boats which might turn up some useful info for you if you have not already seen it. 

Under the history section on Thunderboat.boards.net

Edited by magnetman

32 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Widdop not Widox. 

There is quite a long thread on Thunderboat about L&L boats which might turn up some useful info for you if you have not already seen it. 

Under the history section on Thunderboat.boards.net

Thank you I will have a look.

I realised I had put the wrong engine as I posted it 🤦‍♂️

4 hours ago, Jake6625 said:

I have on the register that is was a 18hp widdop, I'm not sure which version just states power.

The earlier Invincible EM engines were quoted as 15hp in the Widdop literature, but 16/18hp in other correspondence.

There is a twin Widdop in the old Thames dock tug Varlet which is now down at Trinity Buoy wharf. Whether it works I don't know but it is apparently still in the boat. 

I think it was a large unit rated at 60hp or something. 

Edited by magnetman

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Works for this non Facebooker.

And in similar vein

You can see how much better Widdops are compared to Bolinders, as they have a proper governor. Boatmen would step dance to the beat of the engine to keep warm whilst steering in winter.