Tesco's at Reading

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

I see that during the last few days the old mooring enforcement signs have been removed from the jetty outside Tesco's at Reading, so there is now no signage there at all. The first "resident" has already claimed his 50ft section.

It is useful to note that the trolleys there no longer have the magnetic brakes on their wheels, so you can push your shopping all the way down to your boat.

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

It is useful to note that the trolleys there no longer have the magnetic brakes on their wheels, so you can push your shopping all the way down to your boat.

I imagine that's where a number of the trolleys will then stay. 

It's a shame.

Time was when the 'boating public' respected short term moorings and the timber jetty 'at Tescos' was respected as such.

Now - as mebe at other hotspot locations CMoorers have taken over and *** the rest of the world.

There will be a time when The Thames and the canal system will become unpleasant to navigate and everyone - not only genuine boaters will be the poorer for it.

• Greenie 3

Tesco at Rickmansworth has also gained permanent boats despite the sign saying they're for shoppers only with no overnight stays. (One such boat is even encroached on the Winding Hole adjacent to the store). As it's not on the tow path, presumably CRT rules don't apply. I believe Tesco rent the land but the canal-side belongs to 3 Rivers District Council who don't seem to care. It's a shame as stopping off to get stuff for CC boaters has become quite difficult

47 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Tesco at Rickmansworth has also gained permanent boats despite the sign saying they're for shoppers only with no overnight stays. (One such boat is even encroached on the Winding Hole adjacent to the store). As it's not on the tow path, presumably CRT rules don't apply. I believe Tesco rent the land but the canal-side belongs to 3 Rivers District Council who don't seem to care. It's a shame as stopping off to get stuff for CC boaters has become quite difficult

This is a shame. But unless those boats have a home mooring elsewhere they would still need to move far enough each year to satisfy the CC'ING requirements of CRT no?

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

This is a shame. But unless those boats have a home mooring elsewhere they would still need to move far enough each year to satisfy the CC'ING requirements of CRT no?

Yeah! What is it? Twelve miles in a year or summat? 

Tescos site at reading is a boating squatters ideal location. For those that see boat squatting as a legitimate expression of their free spirit and alternative way of life that will always be OK. For others it is a pain in the arse. Looking at the boats, the hoarding etc one might conclude that mental health issues are involved. 

When I say boat squattingI don’t mean occupying boats but occupying moorings. 

This problem isn’t going away - the waterways are a place where people think they can live off the grid and often that’s true. 

37 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

Tescos site at reading is a boating squatters ideal location. For those that see boat squatting as a legitimate expression of their free spirit and alternative way of life that will always be OK. For others it is a pain in the arse. Looking at the boats, the hoarding etc one might conclude that mental health issues are involved. 

When I say boat squattingI don’t mean occupying boats but occupying moorings. 

This problem isn’t going away - the waterways are a place where people think they can live off the grid and often that’s true. 

I don't rail at folks who want an alternative lifestyle - there are afew boat downstram of the mooring and who have been there for years. They keep their moorings relatively tidy under the trees and cause no obvious disturbance. They are friendly if approached and have enough sense not to obstruct who want to use the boarded part for shopping.

That seems a reasonable compromise to me.

I the last two or three years a different grould of boater have taken over the 'Tesco staging' and strew 'stuff' all over the place. They have no regard for anyone and are probably hostile if approached.

There should be 'room' for both liveaboards and river users - but not for those who wave two fingers at folks who want to use and enjoy the river.

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, OldGoat said:

It's a shame.

Time was when the 'boating public' respected short term moorings and the timber jetty 'at Tescos' was respected as such.

Now - as mebe at other hotspot locations CMoorers have taken over and *** the rest of the world.

There will be a time when The Thames and the canal system will become unpleasant to navigate and everyone - not only genuine boaters will be the poorer for it.

Old Goat

Wot's this blue flag thingy?

Have you been stripped of your stars?

I went up past Reading a couple of days ago the boarded part outside Tesco was empty then yesterday on the way back down it was full of boats. 

It seems to be a bit random but I haven't noticed anyone there all the time or "claiming" any of it. 

Having passed six times this summer the availability seemed to be reasonable.

ETA there may have been a boat up the front end but the bit right beside the entrances to Tesco was completely empty on Monday afternoon and completely full on Tuesday. 

Edited by magnetman

32 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I went up past Reading a couple of days ago the boarded part outside Tesco was empty then yesterday on the way back down it was full of boats. 

It seems to be a bit random but I haven't noticed anyone there all the time or "claiming" any of it. 

Having passed six times this summer the availability seemed to be reasonable.

ETA there may have been a boat up the front end but the bit right beside the entrances to Tesco was completely empty on Monday afternoon and completely full on Tuesday. 

But that shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of a good rant about liveaboards ?

7 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

But that shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of a good rant about liveaboards ?

I’m not sure the inhabitants of Tesco moorings can be classed as your normal liveaboards....they make even the most ardent CM’r look like they are Hudson owners....

Five weeks ago, we stopped on a Sunday afternoon to shop, but missed the opening time by 5 mins. (I thought the hours had been relaxed for Covid). There was one permanent at the upstream end, but everyone else was bona-fide cruising. We decided to stay till next morning, and I walked the length taking photos to prove there were no signs. Two others moored overnight so still plenty of space.

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

Five weeks ago, we stopped on a Sunday afternoon to shop, but missed the opening time by 5 mins. (I thought the hours had been relaxed for Covid). There was one permanent at the upstream end, but everyone else was bona-fide cruising. We decided to stay till next morning, and I walked the length taking photos to prove there were no signs. Two others moored overnight so still plenty of space.

Interesting, because the signs were definitely there at the jetty when we passed it heading downstream 11 days ago (on 8th August) but were not there when we came back past it 2 days ago (on 17th).

8 hours ago, frangar said:

I’m not sure the inhabitants of Tesco moorings can be classed as your normal liveaboards....they make even the most ardent CM’r look like they are Hudson owners....

True indeed - but with one positive exception, they never lean out of the side doors and shout at you to slow down.

5 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Interesting, because the signs were definitely there at the jetty when we passed it heading downstream 11 days ago (on 8th August) but were not there when we came back past it 2 days ago (on 17th).

True indeed - but with one positive exception, they never lean out of the side doors and shout at you to slow down.

I thought the prominent hudson owner here got his Butler to lean out of the side hatch and request they don't loiter, get a wriggle on and get somewhere else quick? @tellymatches ?

4 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

On a similar topic, I see the moorings above Osney Lock (where I am at the moment) still have a big metal sign saying "Please respect these residential moorings".

No problem with that. What about the moorers though? Are they worthy? 

Edited by Jim Riley

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

No problem with that. What about the moorers though? Are they worthy? 

As far as I can tell there are not actually any long term moorers, worthy or otherwise, on this short-term mooring.