narrowboat appliances

helen1

Featured Posts

Hy please can someone help ,,my boat has been completely rebuilt and its time to buy the appliances i need a shower enclosure 1700 high which is proving impossible to find and a lpg hob which again i cannot find , please can someone point me in the right direction for appliances 

3 minutes ago, helen1 said:

thankyou rob , yes i have but i need a black hob which they dont  do...

I did a really quick Google for ‘black lpg hob’ and had a bunch of hits. Anything specific you need?

This one’s a sensible price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TIMVJRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7iVoFbMKZ1S3Y

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I did a really quick Google for ‘black lpg hob’ and had a bunch of hits. Anything specific you need?

This one’s a sensible price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TIMVJRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7iVoFbMKZ1S3Y

I know this is why its so confusing my boat builder said  im not allowed a 15mm inlet pipe which is what they all are, I  have to find a 8mm inlet pipe and I  just cant find one ??

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

You reduce the hob connection down to suit the gas pipe, standard arrangement.

really? my boatbuilder is saying i cant do that as when the BSC is done it wont pass also the gas will be half the pressure  if we add a connector (is that true ?) 

5 minutes ago, helen1 said:

really? my boatbuilder is saying i cant do that as when the BSC is done it wont pass also the gas will be half the pressure  if we add a connector (is that true ?) 

Bollony,  the pressure at the hob depends on the pressure regulator on the bottle and the proper size of pipe. The pressure using bottled gas is higher than  natural gas in a house so the pipe can be smaller.

I don't think your boat builder understands gas, is he a Gas Safe fitter with the correct LPG for boats card? He should be to be doing any gas work.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bollony,  the pressure at the hob depends on the pressure regulator on the bottle and the proper size of pipe. The pressure using bottled gas is higher than  natural gas in a house so the pipe can be smaller.

I don't think your boat builder understands gas, is he a Gas Safe fitter with the correct LPG for boats card? He should be to be doing any gas work.

i feel so relieved if thats the case as i just cant understand the inlet pipe situation lol , im going to check with him again tomorrrow thankyou so much 

Just now, helen1 said:

i feel so relieved if thats the case as i just cant understand the inlet pipe situation lol , im going to check with him again tomorrrow thankyou so much 

Gas appliances intended for natural gas in houses are fitted with connections large enough for the normal rigid copper pipe used in houses or for the flexible hoses and bayonet  connectors because the the pressure is lower and the pipe runs longer than on a boat.

If you buy a natural gas appliance you need the correct smaller jets for every burner to convert it to LPG at a higher pressure and calorific value. So ensure the appliance is convertible and has the correct bits with it before you buy.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Gas appliances intended for natural gas in houses are fitted with connections large enough for the normal rigid copper pipe used in houses or for the flexible hoses and bayonet  connectors because the the pressure is lower and the pipe runs longer than on a boat.

If you buy a natural gas appliance you need the correct smaller jets for every burner to convert it to LPG at a higher pressure and calorific value. So ensure the appliance is convertible and has the correct bits with it before you buy.

thankyou so much

All boat gas appliances must have Flame Failure devices fitted.  Should the flame be blown out the gas is automatically cut off.

This will be checked on the BSS safety check, missing or non working FFd's will be a failure.

Not all domestic appliances have these fitted, so be careful when buying.

Bod.

9 minutes ago, Bod said:

Not all domestic appliances have these fitted

Could you show me such an example?  I’ve not seen a domestic appliance without ffd for years. This could be because they’re compulsory in flats. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Could you show me such an example?  I’ve not seen a domestic appliance without ffd for years. This could be because they’re compulsory in flats. 

Agreed, but probably still worth checking. There might be the odd old-design thing out there gathering dust in some warehouse.

• Greenie 2

35 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Agreed, but probably still worth checking. There might be the odd old-design thing out there gathering dust in some warehouse.

and there may very well be substandard stuff being passed of by the likes of Amazon & EBay, even more from social media sites that allow selling.