Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Not at the moment. Because boats are being deep cleaned between hirings, changeover days are being staggered. We have a boat booked with UCC in a few weeks time, and we are setting off on a Monday.

Ah, sorry, I didnt see you stood there on Saturday David, or talking to the staff I was talking to whilst waiting for an hour and a half.

There were at least 12 boats going out on Saturday, quite obviously, maybe not all up Braunston, but when added to a very large queue it really isnt fun.

21 hours ago, johnmck said:

From Clifton Cruisers base, it's about 18 hours cruising to the top of Foxton locks. Once past Bruanston and onto the Leicester line, you will find it quiet, rural, with good stops at Crick, Welford and Foxton itself. Aim to get to the bottom of Watford locks as early as you can. Any delay can easily be made up on the lock free summit pound.

Not if you draw 3 ft cant.

However the Watford lock crew are great, and well organised.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

Ah, sorry, I didnt see you stood there on Saturday David, or talking to the staff I was talking to whilst waiting for an hour and a half.

There were at least 12 boats going out on Saturday, quite obviously, maybe not all up Braunston, but when added to a very large queue it really isnt fun.

That's interesting more than half their fleet. going out on the Saturday. When I spoke to Heather a few weeks ago, she gave the impression that they were trying to stagger turnaround days.  If most of the boats are already out on the Monday when we arrive, maybe there is more chance that we can get away somewhere close to our requested 12noon departure. We have not yet decided on which route we will take, but it will probably be either Market Harborough or Lower Heyford.

Yesterday it took one of our friends 4 hours to get up the Napton flight and there was a queue of 8 boats waiting to come down Marston Doles when they got to the top. Today they were 10 th in the queue to go down Claydon. We've been doodling around the Braunston area this week and it's the busiest I have seen it. Let's hope it quietens down in September. 

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Yesterday it took one of our friends 4 hours to get up the Napton flight and there was a queue of 8 boats waiting to come down Marston Doles when they got to the top. Today they were 10 th in the queue to go down Claydon. We've been doodling around the Braunston area this week and it's the busiest I have seen it. Let's hope it quietens down in September. 

I doubt it. A friend of mine has been trying to hire a boat for a week in September or October without success.  It seems thst all hire bases are fully booked.

Still it is good news for the hire companies, with luck none will be forced to close this year due to covid 19.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I doubt it. A friend of mine has been trying to hire a boat for a week in September or October without success.  It seems thst all hire bases are fully booked.

Still it is good news for the hire companies, with luck none will be forced to close this year due to covid 19.

Union Canal Carriers still have some available slots in September and October :https://unioncanalcarriers.co.uk/availability/

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We were No.8 in the queue going up Claydon yesterday, but the usual trip time from Cropredy Marina to Fenny of 3 hrs ended up as 4 so not bad overall.   

And despite what CRT are saying, the summit is OK, must be all this rain!