Best paint brushes

Glynn

Featured Posts

I seem to recall someone mentioning Purdy Paint brushes recently as being one of the best .

Is the Purdy Ox o  Thin suitable for proper oil based varnish ?.

Im wanting to overcoat the back cabin which is a grey paint finish thats gone dull but otherwise in good nick, and use Le Tonkinois Vernis Marine no1 .

22 minutes ago, Glynn said:

I seem to recall someone mentioning Purdy Paint brushes recently as being one of the best .

Is the Purdy Ox o  Thin suitable for proper oil based varnish ?.

Im wanting to overcoat the back cabin which is a grey paint finish thats gone dull but otherwise in good nick, and use Le Tonkinois Vernis Marine no1 .

I think it's the XL Elite.  Purdy have a whole section on selection here: https://www.purdy.com/painting-resources/painting-tips-and-techniques#:~:text=For oil-based paints%2C most,it is soft and supple.

@dave moore can give professional advice.

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

I use purdy elite xl for varnish with no issues. 

Good finish ?

Natural or syn bristles ?

The Elite seem to be for masonry, could be wrong though. And seem to be called Monarch Elite.

Edited by Glynn

4 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Good finish ?

Natural or syn bristles ?

The Elite seem to be for masonry, could be wrong though. And seem to be called Monarch Elite.

It’s these I use. Very happy and they last well if you look after them. I use white spirit then cellulose thinners to clean them and let them dry well. 

https://www.toolstation.com/purdy-monarch-elite-paintbrush/p18300?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsuP5BRCoARIsAPtX_wHccWnzMQDkUbETk9kHblnKKPDICeJnlMiuvmFYBh-k-Dl3b2dKbBcaAp4ZEALw_wcB

Purdy are first class. As to the 'model' for your job I don't know. What I do know is that unless you're completing the job in one hit a 'Paintmate'  box is a must. A bit of painting,  pop the brush into the box and you can walk away for as longv as you wish, minutes, hours, even weeks. Pick up the brush and carry on .  The other suggestion I would make is that when you decide to clean the brush use a  good brush cleaner rather than white spirit. You will be amazed when you next pick up the brush. 

Purdy Monarch Elite for me. Masonry? I don’t think so..... Brushmate is the paint brush storage system, I’ve brushes in them that I last used months or years ago....top job. The best varnish is the one you haven’t tried yet, according to a customer of years ago.....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I have got myself some Purdy brushes, I am still a crap painter but they are lovely brushes and they do help. They guarantee that no bristles fall out but this is not true, I am sure one fell out the other day. ?

....................Dave

17 hours ago, dave moore said:

Purdy Monarch Elite for me. Masonry? I don’t think so..... Brushmate is the paint brush storage system, I’ve brushes in them that I last used months or years ago....top job. The best varnish is the one you haven’t tried yet, according to a customer of years ago.....

So what is the best varnish ?.

For many years now I’ve favoured Craftmaster Clear. I use it to varnish cans, doors etc after decoration. It’s great over scumble too. When Phil first marketed it I regrained our coaching entry gates, south facing and added a single coat. It did 5 years. I’ve also used it to protect cabin side panels, often reds, which are prone to fading, but external use demands regular re-coats and any scratches must be touched in quickly. If it’s left to peel and crack, it’s too late.....

18 hours ago, dave moore said:

Purdy Monarch Elite for me.

Dave, I’ve read reviews that state they shed on first use. Would you recommend that you soak them for 24 hours before use, or put up with losing a few bristles the first time out? Or were these reviewers simply unlucky?

39 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Dave, I’ve read reviews that state they shed on first use. Would you recommend that you soak them for 24 hours before use, or put up with losing a few bristles the first time out? Or were these reviewers simply unlucky?

I don't know where you read that, but it has never happened with my Purdy brushes.

I can firmly say without fear of contraception that the best paint brushes are those wielded by other people.

I recommend them to anyone.  I can guarantee you won't be irritated by loose hairs, or lack of evenness in distribution.

Indeed similar to Jerome K Jerome I can sit and watch them being used for literally hours without tiring.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't know where you read that, but it has never happened with my Purdy brushes.

Me neither....think I’ve lost a couple of hairs from all my purdys in about 10 years....nothing to stress about. And that wasn’t when they were new. 

I’ve never lost bristles from a Purdy, some of which have been with me for more than 20 years or so, equally I’ve never read reviews on the web. I prefer to base my comments on real experience in the real world. Currently I’m adding many coats of varnish to a custom made casket for the cremated remains of a former customer....is it a Purdy? I’m not sure!?

6 minutes ago, Glynn said:

I did ask for advice, but how is an answer such as

''The other one' an answer ?.  

'

It reinforces Dave’s observation that the ‘best’ varnish is the one you’ve never tried. My favourite is Le Tonkenois, others swear by Epifanes, Dave prefers Craftmaster. ‘The other one’ is probably better than any of those. 

• Greenie 2