Another plea for help - vapour coming from one of the three engine casings

KLamb

Featured Posts

We have travelled a long way in our recently acquired narrowboat and are trying to get to Pennington Warf Marina where we have paid for a berth.

we have had to stop at Worsley because I noticed some white “smoke” (not burning smell so might have been exhaust perhaps) coming from the engine - it was whiffing out from under one of the 3 covers on my TS3. 
I have again called the River Rescue people and they will call me tomorrow after 9 but it’s so frustrating being 5 miles away from our destination (I have to go to London tomorrow night) it’s tempting to try to move on anyway now the engine has cooled but I don’t want to cause nor damage.

your advice or comments would be appreciated.

kate

Well unless a gasket has failed and in which case there would likely be an oil leak (see below) the smoke is unlikely to be coming from under the cover. More likely up between the cylinder heads.

If a rocker cover gasket is leaking or if a head gasket is weeping oil will drip down onto the hot fins on the cylinders and smoke but when running I would expect the cooling air to blow it away unless it was  a really bad leak. As Tracy said in the other topic it could be dirt etc. on the cylinder fins.

Without seeing it I suspect you could check the oil level and if OK  proceed on your way. Whatever it is, if its not a leak then you may burn it off. I don't see how an exhaust leak would come out there but maybe from the side of a cylinder head.

PS now you know the advantage of a mono-block water cooled engine. No gaps between cylinder heads for smoke to rise up from apart form on some vintage units.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Because the oil was changed (it had a service at the marina before we departed) it is clear and so I can’t see anything leaking.

River canal rescue will be here lunchtime - I really need a mechanics course! I know nothing about engines!

211DD092-E525-4256-A08F-6203BA2854F4.jpeg

67C170BF-1AE0-422D-90F8-A36E48B0EC1A.jpeg

Those two pictures are of the engine before we bought the boat.

the whiffs of “vapour” are coming from the rectangular case nearest the bottom of each picture.

Since we had the engine serviced, the air intake canvas cover has been fitted properly and it’s had a service - oil change, filter change etc.