Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, frangar said:

Quite. How you can legitimately CC on a stretch of canal you can easily transit in less than a day is beyond me...there might not be a letter of law regarding it but there is certainly a spirt and the piss takers always make it harder for those who try to comply. 

There is nothing to say you can't take your time and soak in the scenery and local attractions. 

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

perhaps we should coin a new (?) phrase - "water gypsies" ...............................    although, come to think of it, that may be unfair to genuine Romany gypsies.

I'm not sure using the term gypsy in a derogatory way is acceptable. 

True colours and all that.

7 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

There is nothing to say you can't take your time and soak in the scenery and local attractions. 

So a five hour transit becomes a 3/4 month trip? ....that is a pisstake however much you look at local attractions! Some of us have actually boated the G & S you know....

Edited by frangar

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

So a five hour transit becomes a 3/4 month trip? ....that is a pisstake however much you look at local attractions! Some of us have actually boated the G & S you know....

Why is it a pisstake?  What harm are they doing?  How does it affect you?  That boat is going to be moored somewhere.  Why does it matter if the previous place was 2 miles away, or 10, or 20?

Looks to me like you have a certain way of doing things but a complete intolerance towards anyone who does things differently.  Thankfully your prejudiced opinion is worth precisely nothing.  The law says it's perfectly fine to spend 3-4 months taking in the G&S.  Good luck to them I say.

• Greenie 3

I just skimmed this thread for the first time. Bearing in mind how many folk on here have claimed Thunderboat is a home of pestilence and the epitome of nastiness, I think they should have gone to specsavers and taken a look closer to home! Well done OP for sticking it out, clearly you are robust enough to survive CCing. I am a bit surprised that people are still claiming the OP’s plans are pisstaking, around us (Fazeley to Fradley) we see the same boats all the time along that fairly short stretch of water (12 miles) and none of them have patrol notices etc. If you stick clear of honeypot sites (which is probably just Gloucester docks on the G&S) I think you will be fine.

• Greenie 4

37 minutes ago, frangar said:

Looks as though you have some insider information as to how quickly boats should be travelling around the system. Care to share?

Also, it's not a race. Perhaps if you slowed down a little and took some time to appreciate the scenery you might get more out of your time on the cut?

The slow pace of life is what attracts me to boating and there is no way I'm going to let a few grumps on here put me off. 

I can't wait till my slow paced life as a genuine CCer 

Edited by Lewisdb
  • Greenie 1

Looks as though you have some insider information as to how quickly boats should be travelling around the system. Care to share?

Also, it's not a race. Perhaps if you slowed down a little and took some time to appreciate the scenery you might get more out of your time on the cut?

The slow pace of life is what attracts me to boating and there is no way I'm going to let a few grumps on here put me off. 

I can't wait till my slow paced life as a genuine CCer 

The good thing about this thread, is it's given me the idea of spending a good 3-4 months on the G&S next year.  It's a lovely canal...

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

I'll concede my original post could have been interpreted that way but I have cleared that up a number of times.

My frustration is that having done so some are still suggesting that I'm a piss taker and trying to game the system. Something I have no intention of doing.

Thanks for the really useful info in your last two posts. 

Another thought I have had, The Gloucester lock keeper will log when you arrive and when you leave the G&S, this wont be added to your sightings,but if C&RT challenge you for overstaying after you have left the G&S you can refer to the keepers log as evidence of movement if required 

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Another thought I have had, The Gloucester lock keeper will log when you arrive and when you leave the G&S, this wont be added to your sightings,but if C&RT challenge you for overstaying after you have left the G&S you can refer to the keepers log as evidence of movement if required 

The bridge keepers also log boats passing through.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The good thing about this thread, is it's given me the idea of spending a good 3-4 months on the G&S next year.  It's a lovely canal...

We had planned on spending time there this year but Covid got in the way

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The C&RT lock keepers on the Trent have a computer based logging in system using your registration number but it is not co-ordinated with (or connected to) the 'Movement sighting' register.

A member of this forum was put under enforcement for insufficient movement and he argued the case from his log book that he had travelled from Newark the full length of the Trent and back again in the time that C&RT claim he had not moved, they were pretty adamant that whatever he had in his log book their sightings log took priority.

He spoke to the Lockie at Nether Lock who had logged him thru and back again and the lockie spoke to C&RT & offered to send in copies of his records but C&RT refused to accept them as evidence of movement - only the sightings by the 'correct' officers are counted.

When the boater refused to accept and was going to involve the Ombudsman it sort of 'drifted away' and nothing more was heard.

Not fit for purpose !

We spent a couple of summer months on the G&S a few years ago skippering & crewing for a couple of charity boats.We got in touch with CRT to try & organise a summer mooring & possibly a longer term mooring.CRT told us that they'd got our boat name /why we were there & we'd be ok.That's when we got spotted in the same place even though we were facing in the other direction ! While we were there,we spotted quite a few boats moving from bridge to bridge without an obvious mooring.There were also boats with folk we got to know with actual moorings.A couple of years later we went to the G&S for a week...& the same boats were still pottering.We chatted to a few & some told us that they'd been on the G&S for years without a mooring. Not sure what this proves,apart from  the fact I'm a nosey?.

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

maybe you are a xxxx

Several people have been banned for using that word, calling someone 'female genitalia' is apparently against the rules.

I wonder if the forum moderation is going to be applied consistently ?

Edited by Athy
to remove quoted obscenity.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Several people have been banned for using that word, calling someone 'female genitalia' is apparently against the rules.

I wonder if the forum moderation is going to be applied consistently ?

Well only if somebody reports it Alan, otherwise the mods may not know.

So if you want to check report the post.?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not a mod so I have no idea how I can check if anyone has reported it.

I know you aren't. Where did I come anywhere within a million miles of suggesting you were?

I was merely offering a suggestion as to how you could verify if the forum moderation was to be applied consistently?

Its not difficult.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

I know you aren't. Where did I come anywhere within a million miles of suggesting you were?

I was merely offering a suggestion as to how you could verify if the forum moderation was to be applied consistently?

Its not difficult.

Then how do you suggest I check if it has been reported ?

• Unimpressed 1

Then how do you suggest I check if it has been reported ?

Where do I suggest that?

Re read what  I actually posted, not what you think I posted and try again.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Where do I suggest that?

Re read what  I actually posted, not what you think I posted and try again.

I give in - you are not speaking English

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is it OK to call someone a "Richard" or what needles do, how about Mr Wokers fist name? 

Maybe you should ask the question of those that decide on, and enforce the rules.

I give in - you are not speaking English

OK Alan let me spell this out in very small easy to understand baby steps.

1 You suggested somebody had previously been banned for using the 'T' word.

2 I suggested the mods may not be aware of its use in this thread and if you wanted to test whether they were, and test the consistency of moderation you should report the post in question.

Its not difficult, unless you make it so.

31 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

OK Alan let me spell this out in very small easy to understand baby steps.

1 You suggested somebody had previously been banned for using the 'T' word.

2 I suggested the mods may not be aware of its use in this thread and if you wanted to test whether they were, and test the consistency of moderation you should report the post in question.

Its not difficult, unless you make it so.

I got a warning for the use of "idiot". Yet someone calls me a piss taker and nothing....

Even a bit of casual racism thrown in earlier but it looks like that's o.k to... 

I got a warning for the use of "idiot". Yet someone calls me a piss taker and nothing....

Even a bit of casual racism thrown in earlier but it looks like that's o.k to... 

Of course what you dont know is what sanction has been applied to the member who called you a 'piss taker'.?

They are not normally made public.

But as I have just said, the mods cannot be aware of forum rule transgressions unless they see them themselves or they are reported.

Edited by The Happy Nomad