Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Ange said:

Oh lordy yes, I've battled Chauvenism since day one.

Lochgelly? I googled but can't make sense.

PM me if the answer may involve you being struck by the big stick

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AWFC_enGB868GB869&sxsrf=ALeKk03cMIxTID4KotjM1768vPKADrsdSw:1598312136501&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=lochgelly+tawse&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5lIvZgLXrAhWdQxUIHTkQB_cQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=974&bih=473

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There are some on here who have made an art form of making comments which perhaps do not contravene the forum guidelines, but which are most unpleasant and uncalled for, it's trolling.

And it seems others feel too intimidated to take part. I've had a number of DM's from people that want to help with info but appear to not want to do it on the thread.

It's a shame really. It detracts from the value of the thread itself. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There are some on here who have made an art form of making comments which perhaps do not contravene the forum guidelines, but which are most unpleasant and uncalled for, it's trolling.

You're spot on. Plus there's definitely a lot more lenience towards Tory voters. They're just joking has been the response too many times when I've reported really nasty posts.

The time when one said he hoped the other would fall off his boat and drown a horrible death. That was meant in jest too. Apparently

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Athy said:

You are not compelled to continue reading it if you don't like it. Participation is optional.

Please be careful what you write, especially if it includes unfounded and erroneous statements. For your information, moddies are impartial and treat each members's contributions on their merits.

Only your use of "chauvanustic", which does have a certain charm, has saved you.

Athy, the guy is a newby and has been attacked by the usual suspects, now the moderator 'warns' him for responding, perhaps, you need to take a break, there are other mods and other forums

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

Chauvenism is rife on this forum, I have most of them, like yourself,  on 'ignore' 

dear lady, just to inform you that your 'ignore function' appears to be defective.   please fix.

7 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

I've had a number of DM's from people that want to help ................................

did you find a parking slot?

On 23/08/2020 at 21:38, frangar said:

So now we can’t have an opinion of our own?  Your thoughts are laughable really. I’m not sure forums are for you if you don’t like others having opinions and thoughts. 

The point is, your opinion wasn't asked for or needed.  Have you even attempted to answer the OP's question?  Or have you just made accusations and insinuations at him?  As I said before, it's no wonder the number of regular posters on this forum continues to dwindle. 

There have been many threads where cc'ing distances are discussed.  Why not resurrect one of those instead of derailling this thread to have a pop at a new member who's done nothing to deserve it?

• Greenie 4

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The point is, your opinion wasn't asked for or needed.  Have you even attempted to answer the OP's question?  Or have you just made accusations and insinuations at him?  As I said before, it's no wonder the number of regular posters on this forum continues to dwindle. 

There have been many threads where cc'ing distances are discussed.  Why not resurrect one of those instead of derailling this thread to have a pop at a new member who's done nothing to deserve it?

So now we should only answer in monosyllabic tones with no deviation from the question concerned...?? Have you ever taken part in a real life conversation in say a public house??....if so you will have noticed that all opinions and views are often given...it’s how life tends to work! 

Edited by frangar

1 minute ago, frangar said:

So now we should only answer in monosyllabic tones with no deviation from the question concerned...?? Have you ever taken part in a real life conversation in a a public house?? 

This isn't real life or a public house, it's a forum with all the disadvantages of being unable to read peoples expressions and body language, it's very easy to miss read someones post and read into it what wasn't intended.

I doubt anyone is suggesting monosyllabic responses, more maybe allowing the thread to develop naturally without jumping to conclusions.

Assuming someone is planning to push the CC guidelines just because the forum has a history of some people asking the question is unfair.

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The point is, your opinion wasn't asked for or needed.  Have you even attempted to answer the OP's question?

I haven't commented yet - as others have said, part of the issue is a lack of body language / facial expression.

We've had new members come on the forum before "My mate tells me it's much easier to switch between Genny and Inverter if I have a short lead with a 13A plug at each end, does anyone know where I can buy one?" - the factual answer is "you can't, but buy a piece of cable and two 13A plugs from B&Q and make your own". I hope most would answer "Don't, you'll kill yourself"

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

They ask aloud, "does anyone know where the nearest shop is?" Now try and imagine responding to them in any way, other than to direct them to the nearest shop????

Errr, Well, I might respond "The shop is over there BUT the parking warden is watching like a hawk and doesn't take prisoners. You may wish to leave your car at the pub and walk...". Answer the question, sort of. Add useful unasked information. Yes.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

A person enters the pub, someone I've not seen before.  They ask aloud, "does anyone know where the nearest shop is?"

Poor example.

The nearest shop for what ?

Surely asking what the person intends to buy so you can direct them to the most likely place that sells what they want - there may even be a choice of places and depending on what the questioner wants it could be M&S or Aldi.

Do you have a car or are you relying on public transport is another valid question, the nearest shop may not be on a 'bus-route'.

It could be just they need 'a cup of sugar' and the barman says 'no problem, I can give you some'.

You seem to have a very simplistic outlook that is Black or White.

In 'your world' the answer to the question asked ("does anyone know where the nearest shop is?") is either Yes or No, but most people would ask questions.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

I haven't commented yet - as others have said, part of the issue is a lack of body language / facial expression.

We've had new members come on the forum before "My mate tells me it's much easier to switch between Genny and Inverter if I have a short lead with a 13A plug at each end, does anyone know where I can buy one?" - the factual answer is "you can't, but buy a piece of cable and two 13A plugs from B&Q and make your own". I hope most would answer "Don't, you'll kill yourself"

Errr, Well, I might respond "The shop is over there BUT the parking warden is watching like a hawk and doesn't take prisoners. You may wish to leave your car at the pub and walk...". Answer the question, sort of. Add useful unasked information. Yes.

But most importantly, your response would be relevant to the question and would be in the spirit of helpfulness.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Poor example.

Surely asking what the person intends to buy so you can direct them to the most likely place that sells what they want - there may even be a choice of places and depending on what the questioner wants it could be M&S or Aldi.

Do you have a car or are you relying on public transport is another valid question, the nearest shop may not be on a 'bus-route'.

It could be just they need 'a cup of sugar' and the barman says 'no problem, I can give you some'.

You seem to have a very simplistic outlook that is Black or White.

In 'your world' the answer to the question asked ("does anyone know where the nearest shop is?") is either Yes or No, but most people would ask questions.

Did you even read my post?  I actually talked about the questions and discussion which may follow.  The point is that discussion would be to do with the original question asked.  

If I really need to spoon-feed you this;

Newby - "Does anyone know where the nearest shop is?'

Regular 1 - "What sort of shop?"

Newby - "Supermarket"

Regular 1 - "Well there's the Tesco Metro round the corner, or if you carry on down the A665 you'll eventually come to a big Sainsbury's"

Regular 2 - "Oh don't go there, it'll be packed at this time of day.  There's a Morrison's on the other side of the ring road where it's always quiet"

Newby  - "Oh I only need some milk"

Regulars 1 &2 in unison "Oh well, Tesco Metro then"

Newby - "Cheers"

Regulars - "See ya mate".

Note how nobody questions the newby's motives or start trying to answer a question which wasn't asked?

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Poor example.

So the equivalent responses to the OP's questions might be:  "How big is your car?" "How close to the canal would you need to park it?"  "Do you have any particular parts of the G&S where you'd like to moor?"  Instead you start going on about cc'ing requirements. 

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Did you even read my post?  I actually talked about the questions and discussion which may follow.  The point is that discussion would be to do with the original question asked.  

If I really need to spoon-feed you this;

Newby - "Does anyone know where the nearest shop is?'

Regular 1 - "What sort of shop?"

Newby - "Supermarket"

Regular 1 - "Well there's the Tesco Metro round the corner, or if you carry on down the A665 you'll eventually come to a big Sainsbury's"

Regular 2 - "Oh don't go there, it'll be packed at this time of day.  There's a Morrison's on the other side of the ring road where it's always quiet"

Newby  - "Oh I only need some milk"

Regulars 1 &2 in unison "Oh well, Tesco Metro then"

Newby - "Cheers"

Regulars - "See ya mate".

Note how nobody questions the newby's motives or start trying to answer a question which wasn't asked?

And when the newby says I intend to spend a large part of the year parked outside the supermarket, would it be fair to point out there is only 2 hour parking allowed, which if exceeded results in clamping, car removal and a fine.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And when the newby says I intend to spend a large part of the year parked outside the supermarket, would it be fair to point out there is only 2 hour parking allowed, which if exceeded results in clamping, car removal and a fine.

Why on earth would that possibly come up?  He only wants to buy some milk!  You're only dreaming up ridiculous scenarios because you want to try and justify yourself.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Oh dear. You did it again. Jumping to the conclusion that he intends to park illegally. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Why on earth would that possibly come up?  He only wants to buy some milk!  You're only dreaming up ridiculous scenarios because you want to try and justify yourself.

I refer you to the 1st sentence in his first post

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

So now we should only answer in monosyllabic tones with no deviation from the question concerned...?? Have you ever taken part in a real life conversation in say a public house??....if so you will have noticed that all opinions and views are often given...it’s how life tends to work! 

Yes. I’ve been to that pub. I asked for a large scotch and they gave me the whole bottle.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1