Photos Vanished

Featured Posts

On a miserable damp Sunday afternoon I decide it is long overdue I bring my cruise log up to date so I log in and find that all the photos from the first part of the log appear to have vanished leaving just a series of numbers

What did I do wrong?

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/105317-carry-on-regardless-with-lms-delhi/

Just now, RichM said:

Looks like you uploaded the images to Facebook originally and embedded them into the post while keeping them hosted on Facebook. I don't think Facebook allow this.

That is what I have always done. If it is now not allowed then obviously FB have changed things. Is there any way I can edit all the posts so I can try and get the photos back? That is assuming I can identify which photos they were!

If not then it has all been a bit of a waste of time :( 

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

That is what I have always done. If it is now not allowed then obviously FB have changed things. Is there any way I can edit all the posts so I can try and get the photos back? That is assuming I can identify which photos they were!

If not then it has all been a bit of a waste of time :( 

The photos were not stored on Canal World. You'd need to find the originals on Facebook and/or on your camera/computer and get the post edited. One of the Mods should be able to edit it for you.

I'm not 100% about the Facebook rules - The only thing I can think of is that if you changed the photo privacy settings on Facebook, that may have caused it also. If that's the case, changing the privacy settings back may help.

3 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

What is your point?

Errr......

Simply just to show that it's possible to copy and embed from Facebook, and that the suggestion may not be correct.

That is all.

I'll leave you to it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

If you try to browse direct to the image source, (e.g. below) it gives an "Expired" message. Not sure if it will only allow you to embed them temporarily.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/82781124_102293641326171_6793606546702991360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=dd9801&_nc_ohc=fm9BF0QsKFgAX_evTYt&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=cdf4f89963a624ea6fb165c03f31184d&oe=5E9188BD

Edit: Appears they do expire, as per this post on Linkedin:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/did-you-know-facebook-image-links-may-expire-lothar/

Edited by RichM

1 minute ago, RichM said:

The photos were not stored on Canal World. You'd need to find the originals on Facebook and/or on your camera/computer and get the post edited. One of the Mods should be able to edit it for you.

I'm not 100% about the Facebook rules - The only thing I can think of is that if you changed the photo privacy settings on Facebook, that may have caused it also. If that's the case, changing the privacy settings back may help.

Thank you 

The pictures are still on FB as part of a public page so the privacy has not changed on them. 

I don't know how easy it will be to work out which photo belonged in which part of text. I am unsure if I can even be bothered to do it which is just a shame. I am a bit gutted to be honest - I appreciate it is not CWDF's fault but as it is what I have always done the entire forum is probably littered with my posts that have now lost their illustrations 

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Errr......

Simply just to show that it's possible to copy and embed from Facebook, and that the suggestion may not be correct.

That is all.

I'll leave you to it.

Sorry I think you edited your original post to add a comment, when I shared it there was just a photo without any text to suggest how or why it had been posted which is why I was asking what the point of it was 

Another good reason to have nothing to do with Facebook.

Sorry that’s not very sympathetic.  Would it not be better to use a more conventional picture hosting site rather than social media? 

Thank you 

The pictures are still on FB as part of a public page so the privacy has not changed on them. 

I don't know how easy it will be to work out which photo belonged in which part of text. I am unsure if I can even be bothered to do it which is just a shame. I am a bit gutted to be honest - I appreciate it is not CWDF's fault but as it is what I have always done the entire forum is probably littered with my posts that have now lost their illustrations 

It is probably best to upload them directly to CWDF in future and then they won't disappear. Problem with using third party image hosts is that there's no guarantee as to how long they will host them for and some have been known to change it to a paid for service with little warning.

Edited by RichM

Sorry I think you edited your original post to add a comment, when I shared it there was just a photo without any text to suggest how or why it had been posted which is why I was asking what the point of it was 

No worries.

What happened I think was Rich's post nipped in as I was adding a bit to a new post. Normally if you are quick enough they merge, unless someone posts in the intervening period.

4 minutes ago, dor said:

Another good reason to have nothing to do with Facebook.

Sorry that’s not very sympathetic.  Would it not be better to use a more conventional picture hosting site rather than social media? 

The page on FB has quite a following (not anything epic but plenty of interested people) I am not aware of any way to share a combination of news and photo with a group of people in one place that might be described as "a conventional picture hosting site" I know you can do it via Instagram but that too is classed as Social Media. 

I presume if people use "a conventional photo hosting site" such as Flikr or similar they then have to upload the photos again to the place they want to share them? 

Just to test if FB will still allow me to share my photos here is one:

117385701_10158374523954070_459157904667

I think when we are out cruising to update the Facebook page and upload the photos there then to have to do the entire rigmarole again here kind of defeats the object and there is no fun in doing things twice 

12 minutes ago, RichM said:

It is probably best to upload them directly to CWDF in future and then they won't disappear. Problem with using third party image hosts is that there's no guarantee as to how long they will host them for and some have been known to change it to a paid for service with little warning.

That particular host destroyed a lot of forums, one I used to be on we spent weeks going through rescuing photos and editing post where we could.

28 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

What is your point?

Just below the red flag.

22 minutes ago, RichM said:

I used to have everything on photobucket, they started the above silly games a couple of years ago so I abandoned them.

14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

The page on FB has quite a following (not anything epic but plenty of interested people) I am not aware of any way to share a combination of news and photo with a group of people in one place that might be described as "a conventional picture hosting site" I know you can do it via Instagram but that too is classed as Social Media. 

I presume if people use "a conventional photo hosting site" such as Flikr or similar they then have to upload the photos again to the place they want to share them? 

I think when we are out cruising to update the Facebook page and upload the photos there then to have to do the entire rigmarole again here kind of defeats the object and there is no fun in doing things twice 

So have the pictures disappeared if someone goes onto Facebook?  If not, then Facebook is doing what you wanted it to do.  I don’t think it is there to act as a picture hosting site for third party sites.

I currently normally upload direct to here.

But if I do use a hosting site for elsewhere I use this one.

https://postimages.org/

Easy and cheap free (but yes heed the relevant warnings about the potential for that to change).

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Free not cheap

37 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

If you can PM me the post on FB and assuming the content/writing is the same, I can fix your post on here. 

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

If you can PM me the post on FB and assuming the content/writing is the same, I can fix your post on here. 

Thank you 

It is not a post, it is a page that was added to on a day to day basis as was this thread. In that way it can get a bit out of sequence when people respond to an older post and bring it to the top. 

The link is in the thread anyway,this should work? https://www.facebook.com/LMS-Delhi-102291267993075/?modal=admin_todo_tour

I will start filtering through and see if I can work out which should go where. 

Thanks for the very kind offers of help

28 minutes ago, dor said:

So have the pictures disappeared if someone goes onto Facebook?  If not, then Facebook is doing what you wanted it to do.  I don’t think it is there to act as a picture hosting site for third party sites.

No the photos are all still there and as always if you right click it gives you the option to copy image address which is what I used to share the photo of the goat 

55 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I am not aware of any way to share a combination of news and photo with a group of people in one place that might be described as "a conventional picture hosting site" I know you can do it via Instagram but that too is classed as Social Media.

What's wrong with sharing your news and photos on here? You can always share a link to this site with your FB friends.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

What's wrong with sharing your news and photos on here? You can always share a link to this site with your FB friends.

Very few of my friends are members of the forum and would be unlikely to join just to comment on my posts, also the page is not just open to my friends, it is open to anyone who might be interested. It is far more immediate and is much easier to navigate on a phone than the forum is, which usually has to wait until I finish a day's cruising and boot up my laptop 

30 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

No the photos are all still there and as always if you right click it gives you the option to copy image address which is what I used to share the photo of the goat 

Ditto for the picture I posted.

And then just paste the link into a post. (I also noticed it gave me the option to just paste the 'clickable'  link instead, like it does for You Tube videos).

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ditto for the picture I posted.

And then just paste the link into a post. (I also noticed it gave me the option to just paste the 'clickable'  link instead, like it does for You Tube videos).

I am trying to work out whether the sequence of numbers that appears in the place where the photo used to be is in some way linkable to the original photo. Looking at photos hosted on FB I don't see anywhere were it has a series of numbers to identify it so I can't be certain which photo I had used - for example for the very first photo.

It seems very strange that we can both share the photos from FB now and everyone can see them but all those I shared earlier this year have vanished.

OK, can someone hold my hand please!

As I have kind offers of trying to edit the posts to add in the photos I thought the way to go would be for me to find the photos and host them in the CWDF gallery but when I click on "gallery" there are no photos there!

How do I host them on CWDF?