Water Pump weep hole

Featured Posts

Right, quick explain, had a diesel heater fitted which went a bit wrong! Have a Mitsubishi marinised 3 cylinder engine, which had an air lock due to not bleeding keel cooler. Noticed a weep under fuel pump, so decided to change seals as the originals were not in good health. I now have a coolant leak out of the weep hole on the water pump, and am losing a lot of coolant. Is it just a sign that the gasket in the water pump is not sealing or is it something more serious?

I've gone around the houses the last week, so could do with some advice!

Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Shedlife said:

Right, quick explain, had a diesel heater fitted which went a bit wrong! Have a Mitsubishi marinised 3 cylinder engine, which had an air lock due to not bleeding keel cooler. Noticed a weep under fuel pump, so decided to change seals as the originals were not in good health. I now have a coolant leak out of the weep hole on the water pump, and am losing a lot of coolant. Is it just a sign that the gasket in the water pump is not sealing or is it something more serious?

I've gone around the houses the last week, so could do with some advice!

Thank you. 

Water seal in the pump has failed. Soon the bearings will fail and the leak will be severe, maybe mechanical total failure.

Fit a new pump PDQ.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The above. The leak may well disappear for a while but don't be fooled, you need a new water pump before it dumps all the coolant into the engine tray.

Thanks Tony, just as a learning because I don't yet understand! How has the pump failed? The impeller is metal and has no damage, and it is not a sealed unit, so just bolts in with gasket to the back of the block. Is there something I'm missing about it? It's an AISIS for a Mitsubishi.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Shedlife said:

Thanks Tony, just as a learning because I don't yet understand! How has the pump failed? The impeller is metal and has no damage, and it is not a sealed unit, so just bolts in with gasket to the back of the block. Is there something I'm missing about it? It's an AISIS for a Mitsubishi.

Thanks in advance.

Its failed because the seal on the spindle is failed and leaking, its scrap.

Nowadays the spindle Tracy talks of is probably a rubber lip seal and these wear over time. Older pumps had a graphite ring bearing against a face on the spindle. these wear and may also suffer loss of spring tension pushing the carbon onto the face.

It is even possible that the ball bearings on the shaft have failed so the shaft and pulley are now waving about so nothing can seal the shaft.

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Nowadays the spindle Tracy talks of is probably a rubber lip seal and these wear over time. Older pumps had a graphite ring bearing against a face on the spindle. these wear and may also suffer loss of spring tension pushing the carbon onto the face.

It is even possible that the ball bearings on the shaft have failed so the shaft and pulley are now waving about so nothing can seal the shaft.

Think I've got it now.

So internally behind the impeller? And therefore it will start the come through the front, where the drive belt attachment is bolted on?

If that's the case, then that makes perfect sense, if not then please correct!!

Thanks both for the advice, very very welcome. A quick question would be, is  eBay my best bet?

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Shedlife said:

Think I've got it now.

So internally behind the impeller? And therefore it will start the come through the front, where the drive belt attachment is bolted on?

If that's the case, then that makes perfect sense, if not then please correct!!

Thanks both for the advice, very very welcome. A quick question would be, is  eBay my best bet?

Thank you.

yes you have got it but when you get the pulley off you will see there is a "nose" on the pump that has the bearings and seal inside it. Its about as long as the pulley is deep.

You will probably need the Mitsubishi engine model and engine number to be sure of getting the correct pump and once you have that then a Mitsubishi agricultural/horticultural agent may be able to supply the pump and gasket. I don't trust Ebay because you may well be conned into buying a cheap Chinese knock off copy. Have a look at @Grumpy 8ollox 's thread of last week because there are some potental suppliers listed in it.

At the risk of a bad attack of deja vu, whose marinisation of a Mitsubishi  is it? How old, any history? Mitsubishi never sold a marinised engine in the UK as far as I know, they supplied to others to marinise them. Vetus, Thornycroft, and others.

What colour is it painted, red, blue, green or yellow?

What model engine is it, there is a number cast or attached on the engine?  It may be a 3L but there are lots of different models.

Diamond Diesels are the main source of Mitzi spares.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

At the risk of a bad attack of deja vu, whose marinisation of a Mitsubishi  is it? How old, any history? Mitsubishi never sold a marinised engine in the UK as far as I know, they supplied to others to marinise them. Vetus, Thornycroft, and others.

What model engine is it, there is a number cast or attached on the engine?  It may be a 3L but there are lots of different models.

After the last one you are braver than I am.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

After the last one you are braver than I am.

You mentioned his name. If I get the same stupid back-flack that I got last time I will leave for good, I don't come on here for that but to help people.

The crass idiots can have it all to themselves as far as I am concerned, if that is the way they want it.

TD'

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You mentioned his name. If I get the same stupid back-flack that I got last time I will leave for good, I don't come on here for that but to help people.

The crass idiots can have it all to themselves as far as I am concerned, if that is the way they want it.

TD'

@Shedlife Tracy is not talking about you unless you change your forum conduct to act like the person did in the topic I linked to. just in case you think he is being rude to you.

When we said something you did not understand (the seal) you told us you did not understand and asked a polite question so we are happy to help.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

@Shedlife Tracy is not talking about you unless you change your forum conduct to act like the person did in the topic I linked to. just in case you think he is being rude to you.

When we said something you did not understand (the seal) you told us you did not understand and asked a polite question so we are happy to help.

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

TD'

Sorry. I should have been clearer.

I was responding to Tony, I had a bad attack of idiots on almost the same topic last week when I was waiting to have a cancer operation, not at my best,  and some people almost blamed me for the OP, @Grumpy 8ollox getting out of his pram after his chucked rattle.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry. I should have been clearer.

I was responding to Athy, I had a bad attack of idiots on almost the same topic last week when I was waiting to have a cancer operation, not at my best,  and some people almost blamed me for the OP, @Grumpy 8ollox getting out of his pram after his chucked rattle.

No problem from me, i was fairly sure what i said was what you really meant and did not want the OP to get upset. The posters who will not answer questions etc. really get my goat as well.

I hope opp went well and best of luck for the recovery.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

No problem from me, i was fairly sure what i said was what you really meant and did not want the OP to get upset. The posters who will not answer questions etc. really get my goat as well.

I hope opp went well and best of luck for the recovery.

Thanks Tony, seems to be OK so far...................................................................................................

44 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Hi

It's a Mitsubishi K3M I believe fitted my FMK Boatserve (no longer active) it's the blue one, have read they made a block for Vetus too, but maybe wrong on that.

31 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks for the help to both of you ?

Have been tearing my hair out thinking it was my gasket repair skills, so it all makes a lot more sense now. Will find and order a new pump and the all should be well (until the next problem). The pump looks like the original, so it hasn't done bad for almost thirty years.

10 minutes ago, Shedlife said:

Hi

It's a Mitsubishi K3M I believe fitted my FMK Boatserve (no longer active) it's the blue one, have read they made a block for Vetus too, but maybe wrong on that.

Thanks for the help to both of you ?

Have been tearing my hair out thinking it was my gasket repair skills, so it all makes a lot more sense now. Will find and order a new pump and the all should be well (until the next problem). The pump looks like the original, so it hasn't done bad for almost thirty years.

Overtight belts are bad for water pumps, you have been warned !!!   Running without antifreeze or summer coolant accelerates failure too.

We used to put a small amount of brake fluid in the coolant to lubricate the water pump seal.

Excellent that you know the engine type, makes spares a lot easier.

12 minutes ago, Shedlife said:

The pump looks like the original, so it hasn't done bad for almost thirty years.

There's no telling when a water pump can go. I had a 9 year old car that was fine one day and the next morning decided to wee all over the drive.

Just now, WotEver said:

There's no telling when a water pump can go. I had a 9 year old car that was fine one day and the next morning decided to wee all over the drive.

Incontinence in cars is embarrassing.                                                                                  Comes with age.