Pollution incident on Middlewich branch

STIG

Featured Posts

Update on 15/08/2020:

We are working closely with the Environment Agency to monitor the area and we are taking the necessary actions to preserve the safeguarding of the remaining fishery and other aquatic life. At this moment in time, canal navigation is now open, but we politely request our customers to approach the area with caution and be prepared to stop on request.

Original message:

Please be advised navigation is closed between Lock 1, Wardle Lock to Lock 3, Minshull Lock on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal due to a pollution incident.

Our teams are investigating the issue and working with the Environment Agency.

An update will be provided tomorrow, Saturday 15 August.

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

The branch never closed.

There has been frequent "slutch" floating on this branch, for months, quite disgusting looking. Never seen any dead fish and there are often fishermen using the waters.

There are a lot of farms on that stretch, all  dairy.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The branch never closed.

There has been frequent "slutch" floating on this branch, for months, quite disgusting looking. Never seen any dead fish and there are often fishermen using the waters.

There are a lot of farms on that stretch, all  dairy.

CRT said it was , maybe they lied again 

Notice Alert

Middlewich Branch (Shrop Union Canal)Location: Lock 1 to Lock 3, Middlewich Branch, Shropshire Union CanalStarts At: Lock 1, Wardle LockEnds At: Lock 3, Minshull Lock

Friday 14 August 2020 16:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure Reason: Information

Original message: Please be advised navigation is closed between Lock 1, Wardle Lock to Lock 3, Minshull Lock on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal due to a pollution incident.
Our teams are investigating the issue and working with the Environment Agency.
An update will be provided tomorrow, Saturday 15 August.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/canalrivertrust.org.uk?p=eyJzIjoidDdkM3BuTnN0TXRQeVB0cDlPTU5qdGtTa2hJIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2NhbmFscml2ZXJ0cnVzdC5vcmcudWtcXFwvbm90aWNlXFxcLzE4MTIxXFxcL2xvY2stMS10by1sb2NrLTMtbWlkZGxld2ljaC1icmFuY2gtc2hyb3BzaGlyZS11bmlvbi1jYW5hbFwiLFwiaWRcIjpcImM2OWQ1MjY0ZTIzODQ1ODE5MDFiZDE2ZTRlYTAxNTUxXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiMDZiODNhZWUyNzUxYTY4N2VlMTMzNWEyZjJlYWJhN2M3YjU2NjZhNFwiXX0ifQ

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/canalrivertrust.org.uk?p=eyJzIjoiamhMdnF0WnNXdmhOTFlha0dIaE1NaXpQRFdvIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2NhbmFscml2ZXJ0cnVzdC5vcmcudWtcXFwvbm90aWNlc1wiLFwiaWRcIjpcImM2OWQ1MjY0ZTIzODQ1ODE5MDFiZDE2ZTRlYTAxNTUxXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiNWU5OTViMjYyYWQzMzMwYjg2OTdlZGE5MmNmODE1NGUzMDNiMjMwMFwiXX0ifQ

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Quoted as SLURRY on FB, not nice.  Anyone not sure of what slurry is?

Not nice at all - C&RT haven't said much at all. I guess with all the rain there could have been an overflow from a farm - there are quite a few round there.

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

If it’s slurry it won’t do any long term harm will it? Just animal piss and shit ain’t it?

Oil and diesel would be much more harmful. 

Kills fish ( which some would approve of if it stops fish fiddlers ) due to reducing oxygen content of the water.

52 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Quoted as SLURRY on FB, not nice.  Anyone not sure of what slurry is?

There is a song about that in the musical Oklahoma:

When I take you out, tonight, with me,
Honey, here's the way it's goin' to be,
You will set behind a team of snow white horses,
In the slickest gig you ever see!

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
When I take you out in the slurry,
When I take you out in the slurry with the fringe on top!

Watch that fringe and see how it flutters
When I drive them high steppin' strutters.
Nosey pokes'll peek thru' their shutters and their eyes will pop!

The wheels are yeller, the upholstery's brown,
The dashboard's genuine leather,
With isinglass curtains y' can roll right down,
In case there's a change in the weather.

Two bright sidelight's winkin' and blinkin',
Ain't no finer rig I'm a-thinkin'
You can keep your rig if you're thinkin' 'at I'd keep to swap
Fer that shiny, little slurry with the fringe on the top!
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is a song about that in the musical Oklahoma...

I have a funny story about Oklahoma... but it’s late and I can’t be bothered to type it all out... :D

7 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I've noticed that brown coloured sludgy stuff a few times. It's usually in patches, like a few brown air bubbles stuck together. I've only ever seen it in the height of summer.

Oil floating on the water doesn't kill fish. 

The brown sludge stuff is often just algae and stuff brought to the surface by hot weather from bottom of the canal, the bubble will likely be bubbles of methane

11 hours ago, Goliath said:

If it’s slurry it won’t do any long term harm will it? Just animal piss and shit ain’t it?

Oil and diesel would be much more harmful. 

The slurry causes an issue called eutrophication, in effect it feeds the algae to such a massive extent that growth reduces oxygen availability in the water so the fish suffocate 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutrophication

Anything organic in sufficient quantities can do it, milk is particularly bad apparently 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

The slurry causes an issue called eutrophication, in effect it feeds the algae to such a massive extent that growth reduces oxygen availability in the water so the fish suffocate 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutrophication

Anything organic in sufficient quantities can do it, milk is particularly bad apparently 

Leaky cows?

I have been known to wash an empty recyclable milk bottle out and tip it into the cut occasionally, is it all my fault again?

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Leaky cows?

I have been known to wash an empty recyclable milk bottle out and tip it into the cut occasionally, is it all my fault again?

Yup all your fault.

It's about quantity and how robust the system is, somewhere with lots of fresh running water would take a lot more to cause serious damage 

A stagnant silty ditch on a hot day on the other hand

Just in case no not the phantom milk bottle washers fault :)

Edited by tree monkey
  • Horror 1

9 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

P.S.Isinglass is an adhesive made out of fish swim bladders?

Isinglass is also used to clarify beer and wine.

The isinglass windows that Gordon McRae was boasting about however were far more likely to be mica. Isinglass was commonly used as a synonym for any such semi-transparent substance. 

• Greenie 1