Beta Marine BF2803 Pulley wheel bolt coming loose.

Featured Posts

Thats what I said earlier. At idle speed the cyclic irregularity of the engine combined with the steel pulley caused this to happen. Later engines had aluminium pulleys to reduce the weight. Also Beta recomend engines to run at around 1200 rpm when charging batteries.

23 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The later fix for smaller engines (up to 2903) was what I call 'the washing machine fix' - only because the pulley arrangement was made by Electrolux.

I was a supplier to Peugeot when they were developing the 405, the first cars were sold and a flurry of complaints came back about engine vibration. Engineers looked for possible solutions that would not involve having to remake / redesign / replace the engine.

Long story short - the Resident Engineer at Ryton (Fergie Rae) that I was working with brought in a concrete counter balance block from a washing machine, it was bolted onto the engine - problem solved.

Every 405 was recalled & retrofitted with one, and all further production had one bolted on the side of the engine.

Not a lot of people know that.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was a supplier to Peugeot when they were developing the 405, the first cars were sold and a flurry of complaints came back about engine vibration. Engineers looked for possible solutions that would not involve having to remake / redesign / replace the engine.

Long story short - the Resident Engineer at Ryton (Fergie Rae) that I was working with brought in a concrete counter balance block from a washing machine, it was bolted onto the engine - problem solved.

Every 405 was recalled & retrofitted with one, and all further production had one bolted on the side of the engine.

Not a lot of people know that.

That’s a bit like the Ford  V 4 Essex type engine  that had a ballance shaft 

the V 6 didn’t need one 

I’ve been thinking about your problem
 If beta can’t help you at all  could you remove the pulley and check the taper sections are ok 

Then glue the pulls on with special type glues ie apoxy glue  after that fit a locking plate maybe made special For the job 

it may save your engine

Just my idea  

Graham

42 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Although it was a design fault - part of the problem is that folks run the engine at tickover speeds - which introduces 'chatter'  and exacerbates the problem.

It's worth talking to Beta 'cos they're great folks and you may come to a compromise - but that might mean a different engine.

The later fix for smaller engines (up to 2903) was what I call 'the washing machine fix' - only because the pulley arrangement was made by Electrolux. It has the disadvantage (or did) that there were two pulleys and the smaller one was too small a diameter to drive a second alternator to get the same output from two. Well it didn't for me...

I kept the inner original pulley...and Beta provided me a new aluminium double pulley....that was one piece. I had the outer pulley machined off and fixed it to the remaining original pulley which gave me a larger diameter. 

1 hour ago, canalboat77 said:

I’ve not seen what the plate solution looks like, I wonder if I could get someone to fabricate something to keep that nut from coming loose once it has been tightened? 

Whilst the plate I have from beta is not suitable for your engine, I believe they did develop other fixes, one of which is a set of pulleys which clamp themselves onto the shaft which makes the bolt which has come loose redundant. As you say though it is an older engine so fix won’t be on warranty, but give beta a call, as they may be able to help.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

I kept the inner original pulley...and Beta provided me a new aluminium double pulley....that was one piece. I had the outer pulley machined off and fixed it to the remaining original pulley which gave me a larger diameter. 

That's a good wheeze - why didn't I think of that........

Thanks!

I've contacted BM, and will let you know what happens - finger crossed for a good outcome. 

What was interesting was yesterday I ran the engine for about 5 hours (I was traveling at times up and down the canal), I intentionally didn't let the revs get below 1200rpm, and for the first time, the nut didn't come loose. 

Good, but it will eventually.

How can you travel up and down the same canal for 5 hours with engine over 1200 rpm?  Are there no locks and  no moored boats?

How can you turn or wind at 1200 rpm, are the winding holes lakes?

Please, where is this wonderful waterway that no one but you uses?  I won't tell anyone else, honest.

TD'

• 2 years later...