Thames closed to navigation at Hammersmith

magnetman

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't doubt that, but just wondering why people are talking about replacement? I think there are proposals for a temporary structure within the bridge but that's still not a replacement.

Yes, here is some detail of some of the latest thinking. The latest news is that the current bridge piers would be strong enough for this option to be workable - in theory.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2021/03/19/hammersmith-bridge-could-re-open-next-summer/

I wonder why they haven't managed to organise a two boat ferry system for foot passengers and cyclists going back and forth across the river? At least local schoolkids wouldn't be so inconvenienced. In some third world countries they'd have had something up and running the next day.

When I was in Ghana a few years ago a major bridge across the White Volta in the north of the country developed a hole in the decking and was closed to 4 wheeled traffic. All the long distance buses were forced to take a much longer route but I managed to get across by taking a local minivan to the bridge and then a motorbike taxi across to the other side.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I wonder why they haven't managed to organise a two boat ferry system for foot passengers and cyclists going back and forth across the river? At least local schoolkids wouldn't be so inconvenienced. In some third world countries they'd have had something up and running the next day.

When I was in Ghana a few years ago a major bridge across the White Volta in the north of the country developed a hole in the decking and was closed to 4 wheeled traffic. All the long distance buses were forced to take a much longer route but I managed to get across by taking a local minivan to the bridge and then a motorbike taxi across to the other side.

Patience. Tfl are running a procurement exercise for the ferry,  i think using the Harrods pier...

• 3 months later...