New to the inlands

Delibe

Featured Posts

Hi All - we have just acquired a  little motor cruiser - well a cuddy boat really! We are used to yachting in the Big Sea, so taking to the inland waters is a new venture. We have done a little bit of canal cruising (narrow boat) and river cruising (to get my powerboat cert and inland helm cert). Our new boat is on a trailer as we want to explore different parts of the country. BUT how do we find out where there are slipways available to get into the canals and rivers?

3 minutes ago, Jane Cartridge said:

Hi All - we have just acquired a  little motor cruiser - well a cuddy boat really! We are used to yachting in the Big Sea, so taking to the inland waters is a new venture. We have done a little bit of canal cruising (narrow boat) and river cruising (to get my powerboat cert and inland helm cert). Our new boat is on a trailer as we want to explore different parts of the country. BUT how do we find out where there are slipways available to get into the canals and rivers?

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

Zoom in to the UK.

Lots of coastal ones but rivers and canals too.

Click on a pin for location and further information.

4 minutes ago, Jane Cartridge said:

last time I looked the CaRT website had  boaters' maps that showed slipways .

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That is my new bit of knowledge for today. Thanks @Alan de Enfield!

That was 1990 .......... Hmmmm 30 years ago.

We trailed that all over the place even up to Oban and played around fishing off Mull.

That was the boat we had the engine-fire on when the lifting eye fell off / snapped off the top of the engine and fell down onto the starter motor terminal, smoke, melting plastic and bubbling battery as all the cabling started to smoulder.

6 miles offshore but very grateful for having a twin-engine set-up so all got back safely.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

• 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, TNLI said:

Boatlaunch

The link above results in a stuck page for some odd reason, as there are no tabs to visit other pages. Google also works well if you forget the address.

What do you expect when you once again go dredging up old threads?  Are you so bored?

45 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What do you expect when you once again go dredging up old threads?  Are you so bored?

Revisiting old threads is done quite often, and can be of considerable interest. Why don't you like people doing it?

The link worked fine for me.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Revisiting old threads is done quite often, and can be of considerable interest. Why don't you like people doing it?

The link worked fine for me.

Thanks for that comment, and if you are looking at a particular subject like BMC 1500 cooling systems, or the real popular slipways and ramps subject, you might well only find old threads, although this one is very popular. I'm still building my 27, (31 with planned bow sprit), ft lifeboat from the sunken alloy hull up, I do have enough time stuck inside caring for my 91 year old father who takes great interst as a former RN and admiralty design office submarine systems designer, in where my boat might go one day. Poole to Cornwall, (Penzance slipway for a temporary stay in the marina), then back to the Azores for a few cold ones in Peters cafe, before heading South via the Cannery Islands to Trinidad, (A very dangerous place for some). yet again!

Some nice small boat pictures in this thread.

Regards 

Cdr Noah (Local knickname) skipper and rebuild team leader, (I have to do everything except welding and major engine installation tasks, like aligning the prop or making new support plates for the BMC donkey that is heading for my garage first). TNLB Elsie May curently in the Foundry Arm car park in Poole.

River Frome.jpg

Photo0195 (1)`Top of cabin.jpg

IMG_20200103_154813262-ANIMATION.gif

Lifeboat with flags.jpg

Drunken birds.jpg

Edited by TNLI
  • Greenie 2

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that where then make the tinned fish ..................

O'No,  I mentioned fish again, things will now be very BLEAK

Oh for cod's hake....

Mind you, without your fish puns, this plaice would have no sole. 

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that where then make the tinned fish ..................

O'No,  I mentioned fish again, things will now be very BLEAK

Alan 303 has hit the right note, yes I used eat Spanish Skippy A TUNE, I think the locals called it, or it might have been a fish named after his pretty daughter, MY BONITA. 

I were a professional deckie and capitano of Bill Fish Fever 1, and big job no 3, (I wonder if that name got changed, cos of Covid shame). 

Edited by TNLI