SML Ballastic Black

LS90

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum, and I’m hoping to learn a little bit about SML Ballastic Black hull blacking. Has anybody on here got any experience of the product?

My boat is due for blacking in September, I’ve been recommended this by a few boaters now and just wanted further opinions before ordering the product.

Thanks ?

Product description;

Ballastic Black Premium Hull Blacking is a waterproof, high build bitumen coating that is ideal for use below the waterline as a hull blacking on narrow boats, canal boats and for vessels on the inland waterways. Bitumen products such as Ballastic Black provide an extremely flexible coating it can be applied on to bare steel or over existing bitumen based coatings.

Ballastic Black has a higher percentage of volume solids than Intertuf 16, Comastic and Rylards Rytex. This means that when applied at the same spreading rate Ballastic Black will provide a thicker coating (in some cases 30% thicker) which will give better corrosion protection.

341ED7D3-4AB7-4375-8AF8-8893E2AA60E7.jpeg

Edited by LS90

We used it 4 years ago. We were recommended by SML to put 2 coats if Vinyguard Primer on first, after pressure washing then 3 coats of Blacking which means a full 7 days in drydock . Was very impressed with it. It's quite thick so if you scrape something if sort of rolls it back rather than scraping it off. Even when scraped the primer stays put.

2 years ago we used it again but only one coat of Vinyguard, again as recommended.

We're booked in again for this week again for Ballistic Black but a major power failure at the drydock meant we couldn't live aboard so cancelled. But will be using it when we rebook.

• Greenie 1

Ok thanks for your advice, unfortunately I’m only in dry dock for 4 days, I wonder then maybe if this product isn’t ideal for my situation. ?  what would happen if I was to apply the SML Black over pressure washed old intertuf 16 I wonder? 

Edited by LS90

29 minutes ago, LS90 said:

Ok thanks for your advice, unfortunately I’m only in dry dock for 4 days, I wonder then maybe if this product isn’t ideal for my situation. ?  what would happen if I was to apply the SML Black over pressure washed old intertuf 16 I wonder? 

Ask SML for their advice, they were very helpful. But I can't see a problem. I'm just belt and braces.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

I've used for my last 3? blackings at about 18 -24 month intervals. Protection seemed better than with other bitumens but that is a little subjective. Hope to come out again next spring when I will use it once more.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, LS90 said:

Ok thanks for your advice, unfortunately I’m only in dry dock for 4 days

4 days isn't really long enough for any blacking product. I think they all recommend at least 24 hours between coats and 48 hours drying before refloating, so allowing for time spent going in and out of dock, pressure washing the hull, letting it dry, scraping off any loose old blacking, doing 2 coats all over and a third over the waterline area, then you need a week. 

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, David Mack said:

4 days isn't really long enough for any blacking product. I think they all recommend at least 24 hours between coats and 48 hours drying before refloating, so allowing for time spent going in and out of dock, pressure washing the hull, letting it dry, scraping off any loose old blacking, doing 2 coats all over and a third over the waterline area, then you need a week. 

That's what I do, about every two years.  With a decent pressure washer, any blacking that isn't removed can stay there.

The drying time, particularly before going back in the water is, I think, important.

A few years ago my blacking was done by a boatyard. Two coats rollered on in one day, back in the water the next. Out again less than 12 months later to do it properly.

• Greenie 1

I’ve spoken with SML and the Ballastic Black takes 12 hours @ 23 degrees C per coat. We have Thursday AM until Monday AM. 

Thurs - wire brush water line & jet wash by 9am. First blacking coat immediate after the hull is dry. 4pm?

Friday -   1pm second coat

Saturday - 10am third coat (temperature dependent, if not 1pm third coat)

Approximately  44 hours drying time before going back into the water, this seems feasible to us providing the hull dries after jet washing? I’ve no experience at DIY blacking either ? should we brush the first coat on? 

If we could we’d change the location but everywhere is too busy now so 4 days is unfortunately the best we can do. Does it sound a reasonable plan to you chaps? 

39 minutes ago, LS90 said:

I’ve spoken with SML and the Ballastic Black takes 12 hours @ 23 degrees C per coat. We have Thursday AM until Monday AM. 

Thurs - wire brush water line & jet wash by 9am. First blacking coat immediate after the hull is dry. 4pm?

Friday -   1pm second coat

Saturday - 10am third coat (temperature dependent, if not 1pm third coat)

Approximately  44 hours drying time before going back into the water, this seems feasible to us providing the hull dries after jet washing? I’ve no experience at DIY blacking either ? should we brush the first coat on? 

If we could we’d change the location but everywhere is too busy now so 4 days is unfortunately the best we can do. Does it sound a reasonable plan to you chaps? 

Good plan, we brush all the coats, a roller really doesnt get into the bits that matter.

• Greenie 1

Maybe the best you can do. But how satisfactory it will be will depend on whether you have 23 degree temperatures in September (or if you can heat the dock).

Wire brush and jet wash by 9.00 am sounds optimistic. What time are you docking?

I would suggest you brush all the awkward details around guard rails, welds, (and rivets if you have any), and significantly pitted areas etc. And then roller all the flat sections. Same for every coat.

Leave the brushes and rollers in water overnight and the blacking won't set, shake out next day and just carry on. And throw them away at the end of the job.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Maybe the best you can do. But how satisfactory it will be will depend on whether you have 23 degree temperatures in September (or if you can heat the dock).

Wire brush and jet wash by 9.00 am sounds optimistic. What time are you docking?

I would suggest you brush all the awkward details around guard rails, welds, (and rivets if you have any), and significantly pitted areas etc. And then roller all the flat sections. Same for every coat.

Leave the brushes and rollers in water overnight and the blacking won't set, shake out next day and just carry on. And throw them away at the end of the job.

They’ll have us out of the water at sun up, so I’d say around 7am ish? Id be guessing but I’d estimate 2-3 hours jet wash and wire brush? There are two of us too so that should help.

On 14/08/2020 at 17:12, David Mack said:

They may be OK if the dock is heated, but last year I had to stop painting in September due to dew-point temperatures.

I'd have to wipe down and towel off everything, but as the air temp was at dew-point the moisture was reforming behind me almost as fast as I was drying it off.

You cannot put any type of blacking / paint onto a damp surface, it will just 'fall off'.

On 14/08/2020 at 10:53, LS90 said:

My boat is due for blacking in September,

Is the dock heated 24/7 ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 20/08/2020 at 08:40, Bloomsberry said:

Is there another boat in the dock at the same time, as the washing of this will be splashing water on your boat too, so might have to wait until the washing of this has been completed.

Luckily we’re the only ones out of the water during that time ?

On 20/08/2020 at 08:51, Alan de Enfield said:

They may be OK if the dock is heated, but last year I had to stop painting in September due to dew-point temperatures.

I'd have to wipe down and towel off everything, but as the air temp was at dew-point the moisture was reforming behind me almost as fast as I was drying it off.

You cannot put any type of blacking / paint onto a damp surface, it will just 'fall off'.

Is the dock heated 24/7 ?

It isn’t heated unfortunately so we’ll have to hope we get some warm weather ?

37 minutes ago, LS90 said:

Luckily we’re the only ones out of the water during that time ?

It isn’t heated unfortunately so we’ll have to hope we get some warm weather ?

You would be better off (save your money) by delaying it and doing it next May / June.

Its unlikely that not doing it for 9 months is going to make any difference to the boat, and if you do do it in September and it 'all falls off' you will need to do it next year anyway.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You would be better off (save your money) by delaying it and doing it next May / June.

Its unlikely that not doing it for 9 months is going to make any difference to the boat, and if you do do it in September and it 'all falls off' you will need to do it next year anyway.

They should be fine in September, just dont put coats on late afternoon.

I agree with your painting experience Alan, but blacking should be OK unless we get a polar blast.