Steel water tank

Petalsnow

Featured Posts

My regular steel built in water tank has an over flow pipe which snapped when we were doing work. Can I just seal it up or will this cause an issue with pressure in the tank? 
How would I replace a snapped over flow pipe? This is the only way in getting air into the tank.

Thanks!

Just now, Petalsnow said:

My regular steel built in water tank has an over flow pipe which snapped when we were doing work. Can I just seal it up or will this cause an issue with pressure in the tank? 
How would I replace a snapped over flow pipe? This is the only way in getting air into the tank.

Thanks!

No you can't seal it up.  You answered why in your last sentence.

The obvious reply to how to fix it is to weld on another pipe. Is access a problem?  Photos would help.

It depends where it's snapped. If it's snapped off flush with the deck then you'll need to fit a new breather pipe. Ideally just welded on but you could also put a brass pipe fitting into the hole I suppose. 

My breather pipe got blocked with rust on the inside. I couldn't clear it in-situ so I cut it off with an angle grinder about 3" up from the deck, drilled both parts out to clear the rust and simply put it back together with a few inches of hose pipe as the ID of the hose was a perfect fit with the OD of the breather pipe.

51 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It depends where it's snapped. If it's snapped off flush with the deck then you'll need to fit a new breather pipe. Ideally just welded on but you could also put a brass pipe fitting into the hole I suppose.

Exactly what I did. A bulkhead fitting plus two large washers and plenty of goo because it was difficult to get the old welds flat. Then rubber/plastic hose to the pipe stub in the hull and the tank. Only lasted 15 years so far.

Edited by Tony Brooks