517878 Amethyst

jamesinyk

Featured Posts

Just now, jamesinyk said:

I know. Where did my later post contradict that? 

By arguing about the rights and wrongs and the whys and wherefores of pulling over when you have already conceded you knew you were wrong not to.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

By arguing about the rights and wrongs and the whys and wherefores of pulling over when you have already conceded you knew you were wrong not to.

Wow you really are strange. 

As I said, enjoy being the stereotype, I’ll join the other people who join this community then leave shortly later and go have a more interesting debate with a potato. 

Just now, jamesinyk said:

As I said, enjoy being the stereotype, I’ll join the other people who join this community then leave shortly later and go have a more interesting debate with a potato. 

Close the door on the way out...............

5 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

You said earlier on you were quite enjoying the discourse. The potato will have to give you a thrill a minute to be better. Depends what you do with it, I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

It seems to have degenerated into unHappy Nomad being determined to find fault and try to pick an argument with anything the poor guy says.

If you care to kindly read the whole thread I think you will notice several members disagreed with his reasoning and others variously awarding greenies to those that did.

So it's very curious as to why you should single me out for mention. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, jamesinyk said:

Bye!
BTW My friend is a potato

2 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

think we should give this thread a rest...

and please dont go, after sometime you will realise this was all a bit silly(this thread, not the incident)... there is always an option of blocking a specific user(if you dont value his/her contribution at all, now or in future) or not responding at all.

if you leave, you will let terrorists win. :)

Edited by restlessnomad

Last time you were driving and someone in front of you was going slower than you’d like, selfish and obstructive or otherwise, did you drive into them? (1)
Last time when you were walking? When did you last pull your car over to let someone by? (2)
If you didn’t, did they drive into you? I follow tractors on the road all the time, and many don’t pull over. I don’t drive into them. 

Driving your boat into someone else is a dick move however you slice it up, even if you have the moral high ground. (3)

As I said previously, the response of the “professional” boaters on here is entirely unsurprising and in keeping with the stereotype. You have simply reinforced that.  (4)

1/ No, because I am not selfish.
2/ Funnily enough, yesterday, again because I'm not a selfish driver.
3/ When in a hole, as you are, I suggest you stop digging!
4/ There are no "professional" boaters replying to you, as far as I can see. We are all THOUGHTFUL amateurs. (see 3 above)

Where did I say that? You’re intent on reading things that aren’t there. 

Regardless of who is in the right and who is in the wrong, driving your boat into someone is a dick move. 

Clear enough?

No, a "dick move" is acting selfishly and ignoring the boat behind you, who is obviously making more progress than you. 

Edited by Graham Davis

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

You said earlier on you were quite enjoying the discourse. The potato will have to give you a thrill a minute to be better. Depends what you do with it, I suppose.

...and whether it has a chip on its shoulder.

Snatched from google:

“Amethyst is a stone of spiritual protection and purification; cleansing one's energy field of negative influences and attachments. It creates a resonant shield of spiritual Light around the body. Additionally, it acts as a barrier against lower energies, psychic attack, geopathic stress, and unhealthy environments.”

?

there you go, OP, you were seen as a negative influence, of having a lower energy and attacking the psychic

he had no choice other than use his resonant shield of spiritual light to fend you off. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

I hadn't appreciated that there was such a difference in boat tickover speeds. I'm a newbie still on my maiden voyage and haven't yet calculated mine. If a boat has a very slow tickover speed is it better to pass moored boats with low revs on, or is the rule that one always passes at tickover? I've been passing at tickover but can see this would be frustrating if my tickover speed is slower than others.

Edited by MrsM

19 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I hadn't appreciated that there was such a difference in boat tickover speeds. I'm a newbie still on my maiden voyage and haven't yet calculated mine. If a boat has a very slow tickover speed is it better to pass moored boats with low revs on, or is the rule that one always passes at tickover?

The rule is definitely not to always pass boats at tickover, for the obvious reason as you say, that there is a large difference between boats’ tickover speeds. And other factors such as depth and width of waterway, how the boat is tied up and one’s own displacement.

The “rule”, as far as I am concerned, is to pass moored boats such that the passage will not disturb a boat that is reasonably well tied up by the available means.

So narrow, shallow waterway, boat on morning stakes, ones own boat deep drafted = pretty slow.

Wide, deep waterway, boat on permanent mooring on rings etc, = somewhat faster.

So for example if you pass moored boats in the thames at tickover with a tiny egg-whisk prop at 0.5mph, you can expect to be overtaken!

The key point is are you causing moored boats to move excessively? In which case too fast. Or if they are not really affected by you passage then you are not going too fast. The problem can arise when a boat is moored so badly that it does move around a lot - typically due to mooring lines at right angles (or worse, on centre line) and or lines very slack so the boat can build up momentum before the lines snatch tight. I would say that there is shared responsibility - responsibility on you to pass at a reasonable speed and on moored boats to be moored reasonably well. There should not be a race to the bottom whereby boats are moored increasingly badly and passing boats pass increasingly slowly to compensate.

And just to be clear it is about the fore and aft pull of water caused by your passage, not about any wash or wake you are (hopefully not) making

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The rule is definitely not to always pass boats at tickover, for the obvious reason as you say, that there is a large difference between boats’ tickover speeds. And other factors such as depth and width of waterway, how the boat is tied up and one’s own displacement.

The “rule”, as far as I am concerned, is to pass moored boats such that the passage will not disturb a boat that is reasonably well tied up by the available means.

So narrow, shallow waterway, boat on morning stakes, ones own boat deep drafted = pretty slow.

So for example if you pass moored boats in the thames at tickover with a tiny egg-whisk prop at 0.5mph, you can expect to be overtaken!

The key point is are you causing moored boats to move excessively? In which case too fast. Or if they are not really affected by you passage then you are not going too fast. The problem can arise when a boat is moored so badly that it does move around a lot - typically due to mooring lines at right angles (or worse, on centre line) and or lines very slack so the boat can build up momentum before the lines snatch tight. I would say that there is shared responsibility - responsibility on you to pass at a reasonable speed and on moored boats to be moored reasonably well. There should not be a race to the bottom whereby boats are moored increasingly badly and passing boats pass increasingly slowly to compensate.

And just to be clear it is about the fore and aft pull of water caused by your passage, not about any wash or wake you are (hopefully not) making

Thank you for taking the time to explain that; it makes a lot of sense. I've read so many posts on FB in which people are moaning about boats passing too fast that it has made me a bit paranoid!

22 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain that; it makes a lot of sense. I've read so many posts on FB in which people are moaning about boats passing too fast that it has made me a bit paranoid!

As I’ve said many times before, I can’t remember the last time we had a boat passing too fast such that it caused us any sort of problem. But some people have no idea how to tie their boats up properly, even though it isn’t at all difficult, and rather than put their efforts into learning how, they prefer to expend effort moaning and complaining about other boats daring to move past them when they are (badly) tied up. All rather sad really, as I said something of a race to the bottom of competence.

And I suspect a fair proportion find great enjoyment in being able to complain about other people.

The bottom line is that the canals are a transport network designed for moving boats, not a linear holiday park for people’s floating cottages. Anyone who doesn’t like their boat moving slightly when another boat passes should buy a caravan!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

I find it notable that quite a proportion of boats that pass us at a fair old lick (even though they don’t cause a problem) have those PASS AT TICKOVER signs. Just like the commuter village dwellers who demand 20mph limits, speed bumps, traffic calming etc.

And yet when they are late for work they are quite happy to power through other people’s villages at 50mph scattering screaming children and pram-pushing mothers.

And another thing... noise is a big factor.

We have a 43bhp engine, big prop, big displacement (ie we move a lot of water even when we pass at tickover). But we also have a hospital silencer = very quiet and slow-sounding engine. So we very rarely get a “SLOW DOWN” complaint even though we are probably on the margins of a reasonable passing speed on a narrow shallow canal.

Sometimes boats pass us with what seem to be roaring engines, despite an actual lack of significant water movement. I am sure they get a lot more complaints just because the noise strongly suggests they are going too fast even when they aren’t.

9 hours ago, MrsM said:

I hadn't appreciated that there was such a difference in boat tickover speeds

Indeed there is. From time to time, we have followed a slow-moving boat and, though we were doing min. tick., I've had to put the engine into neutral or even give a couple of seconds of reverse gear to prevent us from catching up with them.

I would add that, in the majority of cases, they have eventually waved up past.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It really is all about the angle of the front and rear ropes,  on our mooring we have plenty of boats passing all day and we rarely move, even when people don't slow down.

• Greenie 1