517878 Amethyst

jamesinyk

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

So the point of bump is at 17 seconds, as we pass the dog walker. Sadly it's timelapse and no sound. 

Which shows nothing at all in support of your claim.

In fact based on the video one could question it even more.

6 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

nice time lapse video... which camera did u use? 

GoPro Hero 8 Black

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Because? 

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

But it does show plenty of room to pull over and wave the following boat past.

4 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

Because? 

Why would I bother?

You wont be interested.

Just now, Midnight said:

Steady now, lets not flummox him.

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Really? OK I'm in the wrong then. Frankly as we were approaching a lock with a queue of 4 boats and I was only going that slowly as there were multiple moored boats to pass, it didn't even cross my mind. 

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why would I bother?

You wont be interested.

?

30 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

So the point of bump is at 17 seconds, as we pass the dog walker. Sadly it's timelapse and no sound. 

Well by the video clearly you are going much too fast past moored boats. Didn’t the hire company explain that you are supposed to slow down to below 20mph when passing moored boats?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well by the video clearly you are going much too fast past moored boats. Didn’t the hire company explain that you are supposed to slow down to below 20mph when passing moored boats?

its a time lapse video, the actual speed will be much lower.. you can see the last few seconds, that fat man in white shirt seems to move much faster than normal

29 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

GoPro Hero 8 Black

Because? 

I got the same... the battery is very poor (and weirdly you cant buy from their site)

Edited by restlessnomad

Just now, restlessnomad said:

you mean a powerbank? suits your purpose perfectly then...

I use it as helmet cam sometimes and an exernal battery will be very awkward. 

Yes the standard battery life does seem pretty miserly, but I suppose given the size and weight there's not much to be done about that. 

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It’s time lapse

He was actually travelling much faster

How he got rammed up the ass ?‍♀️ 

7 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

you can see the last few seconds, that fat man in white shirt seems to move much faster than normal

Well, that’s just fatist!

Fat folk can move like ninjas when they (we) want 

(he probably saw how quick the OP was approaching and got out the way)

Extract from an IWA document :

Here lies the body of Michael o’Day,

Who died maintaining the right of way,

He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,

But he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong.

Defensive driving is just as important on the larger waterways as on the roads, if you want to avoid accidents. VHF radio, proper navigation equipment and knowing how to use them can contribute greatly.

On 13/08/2020 at 18:51, jamesinyk said:

Quite disappointing to be driven into by an apparently expert boater when passing other boats at idle whilst approaching a queue of 4 other boats at a lock. 

I may just be an “amateur” hire boater but I would suggest being unable to progress slowly enough means you should stop. Perhaps permanently. 

5205A289-F398-458F-9EC2-7DDC89B8C77F.jpeg

Don’t forget the Llangollen is a dead end trip, 

Chances are you will meet again ?

and there’s a reminder; we do all keep meeting, so we should careful who we upset

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Because that shows there was plenty of room for you to have pulled over instead of being selfish and obstructive.

Last time you were driving and someone in front of you was going slower than you’d like, selfish and obstructive or otherwise, did you drive into them? Last time when you were walking? When did you last pull your car over to let someone by? If you didn’t, did they drive into you? I follow tractors on the road all the time, and many don’t pull over. I don’t drive into them. 

Driving your boat into someone else is a dick move however you slice it up, even if you have the moral high ground. 

As I said previously, the response of the “professional” boaters on here is entirely unsurprising and in keeping with the stereotype. You have simply reinforced that. 

1 minute ago, jamesinyk said:

Last time you were driving and someone in front of you was going slower than you’d like, selfish and obstructive or otherwise, did you drive into them? Last time when you were walking? When did you last pull your car over to let someone by? If you didn’t, did they drive into you? I follow tractors on the road all the time, and many don’t pull over. I don’t drive into them. 

Driving your boat into someone else is a dick move however you slice it up, even if you have the moral high ground. 

As I said previously, the response of the “professional” boaters on here is entirely unsurprising and in keeping with the stereotype. You have simply reinforced that. 

So after admitting you actually were in the wrong yesterday you are now saying you weren't

Make your mind up please.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So after admitting you actually were in the wrong yesterday you are now saying you weren't

Make your mind up please.

Where did I say that? You’re intent on reading things that aren’t there. 

Regardless of who is in the right and who is in the wrong, driving your boat into someone is a dick move. 

Clear enough?

Just now, jamesinyk said:

Regardless of who is in the right and who is in the wrong, driving your boat into someone is a dick move. 

Clear enough?

As is floating around in the middle of the canal and blocking it for people who want to progress at a normal and reasonable speed.