517878 Amethyst

jamesinyk

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

It may be political but since there are 4 administrations in the UK all run by idiots from different political parties it's not party political.

Very droll.

Enough, thank you.

18 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

There was no signal, until approx 1 second before impact. 

That sounds odd, giving a signal just before hitting, if it was intentional.

To me that sounds more like the OP did something unexpected, and the following boat couldn´t avoid hitting.

4 hours ago, Knighty said:

Oh I see, so you don’t slow to tick over if there are only a “few” moored boats then, thank you for clearing that up @nicknorman ?

So can you point me to where I said anything about slowing down or not slowing down past moored boats, few or many? No I thought not. Why make up stuff that I didn’t say? Does it make you feel good?

In case you are not just playing stupid but really don’t understand the point, the point is that the “line of moored boats” which allegedly prevented the OP from allowing the faster boat past, only extended a few 100 metres from the lock. At that point we can all agree that slowing down is the right thing to do and having boats overtake is not a good idea. But there was over a mile prior to that with no moored boats when the boat was up his chuff and yet he didn’t let it overtake.

There, do you get it now?

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

only extended a few 100 metres from the lock. At that point we can all agree that slowing down is the right thing to do and having boats overtake is not a good idea. But there was over a mile prior to that

How very international!

I've never thought that the metric system was appropriate when talking about a 200-year old British network, though of course it's a matter of personal choice. But choose one or t'other!

It’s quite hilarious how agitated you are given that you weren’t there. You’re absolutely certain beyond all doubt that this was my fault and you are the epitome of the angry “professional” boater. I’m terribly sorry that us “amateurs” are constantly clogging up “your” canals with our lack of knowledge and etiquette. 

At the end of the day, number of boats I drove into from behind this week: 0. Number who drove into me: 1. 

Try not to give yourself an aneurism old chap. 

5 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

At the end of the day, number of boats I drove into from behind this week: 0. Number who drove into me: 1. 

I'm sure you have heard the old bloke telling his mates :

"In 50 years of boating I've never been involved in an accident, but I have seen dozens happen behind me"

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So can you point me to where I said anything about slowing down or not slowing down past moored boats, few or many? No I thought not. Why make up stuff that I didn’t say? Does it make you feel good?

In case you are not just playing stupid but really don’t understand the point, the point is that the “line of moored boats” which allegedly prevented the OP from allowing the faster boat past, only extended a few 100 metres from the lock. At that point we can all agree that slowing down is the right thing to do and having boats overtake is not a good idea. But there was over a mile prior to that with no moored boats when the boat was up his chuff and yet he didn’t let it overtake.

There, do you get it now?

“It can be difficult and frustrating to get stuck behind a boat doing 1 mph past moored boats etc when ones own boat does 2 mph at idle.”

So frustrating that one rams the slow boat maybe, anyway sir I’d suggest you take a chill pill. You wouldn’t suggest I’m stupid to my face so why do it it behind the keyboard, are you a naughty warrior by chance?

Edited by Knighty

3 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

It’s quite hilarious how agitated you are given that you weren’t there. You’re absolutely certain beyond all doubt that this was my fault and you are the epitome of the angry “professional” boater. I’m terribly sorry that us “amateurs” are constantly clogging up “your” canals with our lack of knowledge and etiquette. 

Try not to give yourself an aneurism old chap. 

As I said I am certainly not a professional boater.

I’m sure you are too proud to get it, but I am actually trying to help you. Something bad happened to you that seems to have spoilt your day and made you agitated enough to create a login ID on here to vent your annoyance. A good aim surely is to prevent a recurrence of the same sort of event?

As with nearly all such incidents there is fault on both sides. Clearly the chap was impatient with you and probably ultimately did the wrong thing. But equally you were in part at fault by operating your boat in an inconsiderate way that caused prolonged frustration to the boat behind you.

If you like and if it makes you happy, you can wallow in self pity, feeling hard done by and aggrieved. Maybe you are enjoying that bit? But that won’t do anything to reduce the likelihood of a recurrence.

If you would prefer that this sort of thing doesn’t happen again, you need to ponder your contribution to the series of events, realise that you contributed to the development of the situation by causing prolonged frustration to the boat behind you.

5 minutes ago, Knighty said:

“It can be difficult and frustrating to get stuck behind a boat doing 1 mph past moored boats etc when ones own boat does 2 mph at idle.”

So frustrating that one rams the slow boat maybe, anyway sir I’d suggest you take a chill pill. You wouldn’t suggest I’m stupid to my face so why do it it behind the keyboard, are you a naughty warrior by chance?

Is that supposed to be where I said that one doesn’t need to slow down for the odd moored boat? If so you’ll have to try harder.

I would suggest that you are stupid to your face if you deliberately lied to my face as you are currently doing in writing on here. I think it’s called libel. Or maybe slander, I can never remember which is which.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I would suggest that you are stupid to your face if you deliberately lied to my face as you are currently doing in writing on here. I think it’s called libel. Or maybe slander, I can never remember which is which.

Libel is written down, slander is said out loud.

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Libel is written down, slander is said out loud.

ah, always wondered what is what... thanks

does it mean UK libel laws does not apply to slander (if you just say something and not write it).. is there a law against slander? (sorry for going offtopic)

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

ah, always wondered what is what... thanks

does it mean UK libel laws does not apply to slander (if you just say something and not write it).. is there a law against slander? (sorry for going offtopic)

Definitely no need to apologise.

It's a more interesting discussion.

19 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It's a more interesting discussion.

Far more interesting than someone getting nudged and then going to the trouble of signing up to a forum just to post the other boat's details, that's for sure.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

As I said I am certainly not a professional boater.

I’m sure you are too proud to get it, but I am actually trying to help you. Something bad happened to you that seems to have spoilt your day and made you agitated enough to create a login ID on here to vent your annoyance. A good aim surely is to prevent a recurrence of the same sort of event?

As with nearly all such incidents there is fault on both sides. Clearly the chap was impatient with you and probably ultimately did the wrong thing. But equally you were in part at fault by operating your boat in an inconsiderate way that caused prolonged frustration to the boat behind you.

If you like and if it makes you happy, you can wallow in self pity, feeling hard done by and aggrieved. Maybe you are enjoying that bit? But that won’t do anything to reduce the likelihood of a recurrence.

If you would prefer that this sort of thing doesn’t happen again, you need to ponder your contribution to the series of events, realise that you contributed to the development of the situation by causing prolonged frustration to the boat behind you.

Is that supposed to be where I said that one doesn’t need to slow down for the odd moored boat? If so you’ll have to try harder.

Brilliant a lower deck lawyer too, in my humble opinion of course 

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Still going I see. Keep it up lads and lasses.

Yes unfortunately.

If the original poster had perhaps recognised several pages back that there might indeed be something to learn from others then this thread would have fizzled out ages ago.

However as it appears that he is so cock sure he was 100% in the right we are where we are. What with that and the other joker who keeps chipping in with nonsense based on his complete misreading of other postings this could run for a while yet.

35 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes unfortunately.

If the original poster had perhaps recognised several pages back that there might indeed be something to learn from others then this thread would have fizzled out ages ago.

However as it appears that he is so cock sure he was 100% in the right we are where we are. What with that and the other joker who keeps chipping in with nonsense based on his complete misreading of other postings this could run for a while yet.

If you revisit my contributions you will see this: 

"If the etiquette is to arrive at the queue as quickly as possible then help out then I am clearly in the wrong for pootling along. However the response is not to hit someone and yell at them."

This is the point where I don't believe I'm "cock sure I was 100% in the right". My point about the response stands. 

3 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

If you revisit my contributions you will see this: 

"If the etiquette is to arrive at the queue as quickly as possible then help out then I am clearly in the wrong for pootling along. However the response is not to hit someone and yell at them."

This is the point where I don't believe I'm "cock sure I was 100% in the right". My point about the response stands. 

99.9% then.

???

27 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

My friend said the point is if you pootle along and refuse to allow a following faster boater to overtake, you can expect to get a scrape as following now frustrated boater goes past anyway. 
Nick Norman is a jolly nice chap who offers the wealth of his experience to lesser mortals - or so my friend said.

• Greenie 1