517878 Amethyst

jamesinyk

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

But the OP was talking about people meeting around New Marton locks - which are in England.

It would really be better not to make comments if you ... "don't know" geography! ?

Ooops......

Screenshot_20200814-173928_Chrome.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

As I pointed out the other day, this is the folly of having different rules in different parts of the UK.........

Confusion.

No confusion whatsoever, following rules that are clearly made up by idiots would make you an idiot by default. Probably best to follow the ones that make your life easier and ignore the more idiotic ones.

I would say that between bridges 6 and 11, it would be near impossible to even allow someone to pass. Its narrow, weaves and on a busy canal. Once through bridge 11, you can see the lock and boats waiting. To attempt to make a pass then is tantamount to queue jumping. 

Edited by johnmck
Fat finger edit!

1 minute ago, johnmck said:

I would say that between bridges 6 and 11, it would be near impossible to even allow someone to pass. Its narrow, weaves and on a busy canal. Once through bridge 11, you can see the lock and bosts waiting. To attempt to make a pass then is tantamount to queue jumping. 

Queue jumping is the most logical reason; having followed a boat that is going unreasonably slow would it then be desirable to follow said boat down a flight of locks. The thinking would possibly be that if the guy in front can’t drive a boat at a sensible speed or move out of they way when clearly signalled how bloody slow is this flight going to be?

3 minutes ago, johnmck said:

I would say that between bridges 6 and 11, it would be near impossible to even allow someone to pass. Its narrow, weaves and on a busy canal. Once through bridge 11, you can see the lock and boats waiting. To attempt to make a pass then is tantamount to queue jumping. 

This point seems to have got lost , rushing to overtake and forcing yourself through on the approach to a lock with boats waiting is very bad form.

Just now, Bewildered said:

Queue jumping is the most logical reason; having followed a boat that is going unreasonably slow would it then be desirable to follow said boat down a flight of locks. The thinking would possibly be that if the guy in front can’t drive a boat at a sensible speed or move out of they way when clearly signalled how bloody slow is this flight going to be?

If you know the canal, these are the last two locks before Llangollen.

1 minute ago, Bewildered said:

even so, forcing your self past on the approach to a lock is not very good.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

There was no signal, until approx 1 second before impact. 

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

May i just say that this is a long running thread discussing a little Incident.

I have to say I’m enjoying it. Hopefully my historic wine temperature knowledge is proving entertaining. 

54 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

No confusion whatsoever, following rules that are clearly made up by idiots would make you an idiot by default. Probably best to follow the ones that make your life easier and ignore the more idiotic ones.

Unfortunately not following the 'rules', especially persistently could prove costly.

I wonder if the offender in this case while in a possible beer induced haze actually thought he was sailing down the river Yangtze on board HMS Amethyst and was running the Chinese blockade ? ?

HMS_Amethyst_WWII_IWM_A_30156.jpg

Edited by buccaneer66
uploaded photo

1 hour ago, johnmck said:

I must look at the map more carefully before commenting. I thought the OP was travelling down the Canal but looking again the incident occurred travelling up the Canal between the Jack Mytton pub and New Martin bottom lock and as johnmck says it would be difficult between bridges 6 and 11 for overtaking.

3 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

This is because the room temperature red wine is served at dates from centuries ago when rooms were colder. ??

White wine is generally served chilled as is most lager, both of which pre date refrigeration. Is it perhaps just some form of snobbery that insists red should be room temperature, I personally prefer it chilled. Some reds even suggest chilling on the label.

8 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Since you knew he was behind you for some time, perhaps you could explain why you didn't pull in and let him pass you?

Just asking for another friend, why haven't you answered the above?

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would really be better not to make comments if you (to use your own words) "don't know"

Not at all - we aren't omniscient, and by making such comments, we can improve our knowledge as people offer information.

It's better to mention one's uncertainty than to feign knowledge.

Edited by Athy

14 hours ago, jamesinyk said:

This is because the room temperature red wine is served at dates from centuries ago when rooms were colder. ??

Thinking of the climates of areas in which wine is produced, such as Spain and the Southern half of France, I very much doubt that.

22 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I suggest it is quite wrong to think of a boat owner as a “professional” - with the definition of professional being that you get paid to do it.

Bear in mind that one difference between a hire boater and an owner-boater is that the former had some training from the hire company, whilst the latter may well have had absolutely zero training. In other words there are plenty of incompetent owners.

However there are also other factors at play: hire boats tend to have tiny propellors which mean that the boat will probably do 1 mph at idle. This is to discourage hire boaters from going too fast. Private boats tend to have propellors matched to engine and hull and thus (as is the case with ours) probably does 2mph at idle.

It can be difficult and frustrating to get stuck behind a boat doing 1 mph past moored boats etc when ones own boat does 2 mph at idle.

But I think the main way you have incriminated yourself is that you report that the boat had been following you closely since bridge 6, and you are now past bridge 11. You should have pulled over to let the boat pass at the outset. It is just common good manners and politeness. There is nothing clever about going along at a speed that causes other people to have to slow down, whilst self-righteously proclaiming “I am going at the CORRECT speed”. One sees it on the roads a lot, but that doesn’t mean the same selfish behaviour has to be replicated on the canals.

Next time, let a faster boat pass and then this whole set of events won’t play out again.

Nicely put , however as an experienced hirer I’d suggest the OP is dammed if does and dammed If he doesn’t. 

He’s probably had a week of moored boaters sticking their heads out of hatches telling the naughty hirer to slow down so when he does he’s being pressed  to speed up!  

Edited by Knighty

25 minutes ago, Knighty said:

Nicely put , however as an experienced hirer I’d suggest the OP is dammed if does and dammed If he doesn’t. 

He’s probably had a week of moored boaters sticking their heads out of hatches telling the naughty hirer to slow down so when he does he’s being pressed  to speed up!  

Except there was no long line of moored boats, just a few in the last few 100 yds. 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Except there was no long line of moored boats, just a few in the last few 100 yds. 

Oh I see, so you don’t slow to tick over if there are only a “few” moored boats then, thank you for clearing that up @nicknorman ?

15 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Please bear in mind that this topic is not in the political section, and refrain from making inflammatory comments of a political nature.

27 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

It may be political but since there are 4 administrations in the UK all run by idiots from different political parties it's not party political.

vast majority of people in leadership position of sort in 4 administrations are not idiots (unless they got there due to heredity) ... and I am pretty certain most of them are smarter than ordinary people (like you and me).

Every time I hear this, I roll my eyes and say 'oh here we go, another dumb fool who thinks highly of himself/herself'

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1