517878 Amethyst

jamesinyk

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I know things can get lost in interpretation but surely you mean 'pass to the right' or 'pass left to left (port to port)'.

.....and therein lies a complication. Some people can't differentiate between overtaking (both going the same way) and  and passing (boats going in opposite directions) which could immediately lead to confusion. 

Howard

51 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is fine as far as it goes but very few inland boaters have any inkling about sound signals so even if hire boaters had the info all too often it would mean nothing apart from "why is he making all that noise" to many boaters.

Rule one of the COLREGS states, ‘These rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels.’

I await the usual howl !

I don't have my guides to hand but bridge 6 to bridge 11 does seem a fair distance to have someone up your 'cuff' and not react by either pulling over / slowing down to allow overtaking. In my many years of boating I've met a few , private and hirers who have meandered without any concern for others. A polite 'toot' normally works works fine. Maybe a little consideration on the part of the OP at an early stage would have been better for the blood pressure of all concerned.

PS. If i were the 'offender' in this incident I would be a little p!!!ed off by having my photograph posted on a public forum within my knowledge. I think doing so shows more about the OP than anything else. Perhaps it's a sign of the times.     

• Greenie 2

Assuming the OP means Bridge 6W:

Summary of trip

This is a trip of 1 mile, 4¾ furlongs from Polletts Bridge No 6W to New Marton Bottom Lock No 2 travelling northwest on the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Main Line).

This will take 47 minutes

If he really does mean Bridge 6:

Summary of trip

This is a trip of 30 miles, 3¼ furlongs and 15 locks from Burland Bridge No 6 to New Marton Bottom Lock No 2 travelling southwest on the Shropshire Union Canal (Llangollen Canal - Main Line).

This will take 19 hours and 16 minutes which is 2 days, 5 hours and 16 minutes at 7 hours per day.

Edited by David Mack

35 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Is it possible to pass on this stretch of the LLanwhatsit?  I've put off visiting it because I understood it had lots of narrow places?

Yes, the only truly narrow bits, apart from the bridges, tunnels, locks etc. are on the last stretch over the aqueduct and 1 of those has a passing place.

17 minutes ago, Slim said:

I don't have my guides to hand but bridge 6 to bridge 11 does seem a fair distance to have someone up your 'cuff' and not react by either pulling over / slowing down to allow overtaking. In my many years of boating I've met a few , private and hirers who have meandered without any concern for others. A polite 'toot' normally works works fine. Maybe a little consideration on the part of the OP at an early stage would have been better for the blood pressure of all concerned.

PS. If i were the 'offender' in this incident I would be a little p!!!ed off by having my photograph posted on a public forum within my knowledge. I think doing so shows more about the OP than anything else. Perhaps it's a sign of the times.     

I would say it most definitely is. 

Facebook and the like have given an open platform for people to name and shame without any responsibility to ensure you give the full story. And normally without any consequences if you have got it wrong or posted maliciously.

Our village facebook page was full of 'misdemeanours' from parking issues to dog walkers not cleaning up etc etc etc.

One incident was posted as a 'selfish ****' who had parked without consideration for others when in fact they had broken down. On there of course one normally has to post under your real name and being a small place the 'offender' managed to trace the 'accuser' and well..............

...........................lets just say the accuser will be being much more careful in future.

Whilst not condoning the resulting violence that occured it does show people do need to be careful about posting misdemeanors on the internet.

48 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Is it possible to pass on this stretch of the LLanwhatsit?  I've put off visiting it because I understood it had lots of narrow places?

the three narrow bits are only after you make the turn at Trevor basin really, and they're not that bad. Just send crew up first until they reach one of the passing points, or wait for another boat with crew or the trip boat and follow it through.

Never understood those who go as far as Trevor to "do the Pontcysyllte" then turn round, if you don't go to the basin you're missing the best bits IMHO.

The locks at New Marton can be quite the bottleneck, so perhaps the chap behind was in a rush to get them done?

Edited by Hudds Lad
rogue "the"

55 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Lots of room on that stretch but perhaps the original poster wanted to get the lock first.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is also very true.
I think we are about the only country in the world that allows anyone to buy any boat, with no experience and no requirement for insurance, jump-on and drive off.

Whilst I'm all for the 'freedom' I do think that there should be some sort of basic 'driving licence' to be achieved before you can buy a boat.

The RYA 'Day Skipper' or 'Powerboat Level 1' (1-day course), 'Power Boat level 2 (2-day course) or even the ICC are all very simple and don't takes weeks of 'schooling'

The 'Inland' certificates are even simpler & are 'watered down' with obviously no coverage of things like Tides, Navigation etc.

You mention some form of certification before buying a boat, but what about hirers? I suspect that if you imposed the same conditions - say a minimum of an Inland Waterways Helmsman's cert before hiring - there would be an outcry from the hireboat industry, and the numbers of potential hirers would fall dramatically. 

Personally, I also have some reservations about the IWHC; there is a danger of some people thinking that once they have  obtained the certificate they magically become an expert rather than accepting that it is a very basic bare bones foundation for them to grow their expertise. 

Howard

1 hour ago, howardang said:

.....and therein lies a complication. Some people can't differentiate between overtaking (both going the same way) and  and passing (boats going in opposite directions) which could immediately lead to confusion. 

Howard

I assume these folk aren't drivers or do they think they are overtaking every car they meet coming towards them.

44 minutes ago, howardang said:

You mention some form of certification before buying a boat, but what about hirers? I suspect that if you imposed the same conditions - say a minimum of an Inland Waterways Helmsman's cert before hiring - there would be an outcry from the hireboat industry, and the numbers of potential hirers would fall dramatically. 

Personally, I also have some reservations about the IWHC; there is a danger of some people thinking that once they have  obtained the certificate they magically become an expert rather than accepting that it is a very basic bare bones foundation for them to grow their expertise. 

Howard

Worldwide hirers do not need any licence or experience to hire 'chug-chugs', but, there are very different requirements for the hiring of 'boats'.

56 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Similar set ups work in other countries whereby owners have to have certification but hirers are exempt. I'm pretty sure the same could work in this country.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Get there to help the others transit the lock quicker, or, are you one of those who stays on their boat until everyone is thru then do it yourself.

We’ll help if is needed but also respect others who wish to do it themselves. It’s not a race to see how quickly we can get all the boats through. 

28 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

Not at all, I didn’t see the point of arriving in a queue of 4 any sooner than necessary. 

How did you know there was a queue of 4 at the lock when you were still at bridge 6? Does not compute.

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Just asking for a friend, but where you going slow and minded not to let him past?

Yes, obviously

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

When the OP has been forced to follow another boat at idle for miles and miles because the boat in front sits in the centre of the canal at idle with the crew looking every way but to the rear and oncoming boats, moored boats and bends make trying to pass unsafe then he may alter his view. Mr Amethyst may have a good reason for wanting to travel at faster then idle and the speed of boats at idle vary so it may well be true that Amethyst had to keep going into neutral to match the OPs speed. Also how well was the OP steering? Was he wandering all over the canal blocking attempts to pass him?

I would suggest that Mr Amethyst could post an account giving a totally different perspective.

I think the OP mentioned blowing the horn - is he aware there are sound signals that cover the intention to pass and did he respond in the right way?

How well did he keep adequate watch astern? Did he move over and signal Mr Amethyst to pass at the earliest safe opportunity?

As others have said this is a one sided report with insufficient details to condemn Mr Amethyst, I suspect it was six or one and half a dozen of the other and with more experience and courtesy form the OP this may never have happened.

I have a normal boat Tick over is about 1.5 mph, I have been chased by old working boats and pulled over to let them past, their Tick over was a tad over 2 mph. I have also followed a boat for 40 minutes past a row of moored boats, I at one stage stopped and held onto a moored boat, my normal boat, doesn't steer in neutral, the guy in front didn't look back to see the carnage he was causing to me and 4 other boats. It was a fairly windy day and the moored boats were bow to stern, the other bank was shallow and full of trees. Measuring the length of moored boats later with GPS. They occupied 0.3 miles, making his speed just under 1/2 miles per hour. He had no trouble with a slow Tick over Lister and small prop, but he would struggle to punch the current on the Thames

34 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

“Oooh mustn’t rush”... “it’s not a race”... this sort of attitude really pisses me off. You do not get to decide about whether other people have an agenda / need to get somewhere at a specific time. You have no idea about other people’s issues, and nor do you care it seems. You do not get to decide how fast everyone else must go at. Or if you do, you are likely to get rammed. The only pity is that it wasn’t harder. If you want to enjoy a peaceful time on the canals you need to learn that it is not all about you.

You’re seriously defending someone who rammed me whilst I was passing a line of other boats? Wow. 

40 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

How did you know there was a queue of 4 at the lock when you were still at bridge 6? Does not compute.

Yes, obviously

I didn’t, obviously. Between 6W and line of sight to the lock, he caught me up as I was idling along the closer I got to the lock. 

I make slow progress, I like it that way. I let boats past if they come up behind, pull over to towpath side, quick wave, easily done. If the boat behind intentions are unclear, I ask a passing boat to ask the boat behind to give a toot on the horn if they want to go by.

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, jamesinyk said:

Between 6W and line of sight to the lock, he caught me up as I was idling along the closer I got to the lock. 

So naturally you pulled over to the side to allow him to pass... oh no, you didn’t, did you?

2 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

I make slow progress, I like it that way. I let boats past if they come up behind, pull over to towpath side, quick wave, easily done. If the boat behind intentions are unclear, I ask a passing boat to ask the boat behind to give a toot on the horn if they want to go by.

Exactly as it should be :)  have a Greenie 

Edited by WotEver