Fenders - what do you hold them on with?

andy4502

Featured Posts

Hi all, I have 3 fender mounting points along my 45ft boat, I have fenders tied on with rope at the moment but am considering (advice please) using shackles or other quick release metal - can I have your thought please hive mind :)

1CEE393B-37B8-49BA-8A71-CC7EADEE7DBA.jpeg

• Haha 1

PS yes it’s scruffy- have been boating more days than not since the end of lockdown and it was blacked just before I went out - the locks in the Stratford are bloody tight when at low water - hence scrapes 

2 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Google rope shackles from tradline. 

Brilliant 

Looks like the OP has a good potential solution with rope shackles. When I first had this boat I tried using retired climbing carabiners to attach side fenders. Unfortunately, they all unclipped themselves rubbing against lock walls. Apologies to all those who found my lost fenders in the cut. Now I just use side fenders when moored up, tied either in to the gunwale loops, or hung from roof rails. 

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

I am so glad that people try to go through locks with fenders down, so that they get torn off. I collect more of them than I can make use of, so that I have never had to buy one in over 50 years of boating. I generally use carabiners, but only for overnight mooring.

The pipe fenders that sink are not good though when they have enough rope left on them to get picked up on the prop. Had the engine cut out coming through Shade House lock with a pipe fender. Fortunately no lasting damage.

Three weeks ago, had to wait while a boat locking down onto the Cherwell from the Oxford had to go back in again to remove the side fenders. The boat had just been repainted and blacked.

He was most upset that the tight bottom gate rubbed blacking off the rubbing strip. Surely the clue is in the name.