Leicester Ring

IanD

Featured Posts

For peace of mind take a short term mooring at Sileby Mill boatyard where the owner lives on site and lookas after the boats when the river is in flood. Otherwise the only really safe place north of Leicester which is not affected by river levels is in Loughborough. It is safe in the town there are bollards just north of the Chain Bridge outside what was the Albion.

Birstall is NOT a safe mooring if leaving your boat. Not only is it the only place I have had youths jumping on the roof and violently rocking it, scaring my daughter and friends, but the moorings are below the lock, and can disappear under 2 feet of water.....from a day before 4 feet step up off the boat!!

If you have to leave your boat on the river, leave it above a lock, on long loose lines, and ask someone moored locally to check it if it rains a lot.

The Hope and Anchor moorings are fairly safe, the water only goes up to a foot above the towpath in serious flood times, as there are wiers either side.

58 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Birstall, Syston are good safe moorings, river levels can shoot up over a short space of time when rain is heavy, need to keep your eye on the weather.

That’s good, I guessed they might be ok, reassuring. However, suppose the river level rises when we’re not there. How quickly would we need to get there, and how would we know?

Aha, just read the other posts, thanks Matty again, and others....thinking!

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Birstall is NOT a safe mooring if leaving your boat. Not only is it the only place I have had youths jumping on the roof and violently rocking it, scaring my daughter and friends, but the moorings are below the lock, and can disappear under 2 feet of water.....from a day before 4 feet step up off the boat!!

If you have to leave your boat on the river, leave it above a lock, on long loose lines, and ask someone moored locally to check it if it rains a lot.

The Hope and Anchor moorings are fairly safe, the water only goes up to a foot above the towpath in serious flood times, as there are wiers either side.

Wasn't until after I posted I realised he was leaving his boat, would definitely go to syston.

We couldn't get onto the Soar as planned, it was closed for a day from Leicester to the Trent because of high water levels so this put paid to the idea of mooring in the middle of Leicester. Instead we moored at Aylestone below King's Lock (above where the Soar joins), there are good moorings before Packhorse Bridge (#105). Even better, there's a very nice pub (the Black Horse) a couple of minutes walk away, with excellent food and beer (and good Covid-19 precautions). Result... ?

Before I forget, if you're going through Shardlow on a Thursday make sure to call in at the Malt Shovel, it's Thai night, the food was truly excellent, as was the Pedigree -- not normally one of my favourite beers, but it was sublime. Got talking to a local who remembered the beer-perfectionist landlord (Dickie...?) from our visit in 1986, when he took our half-finished pints away and replaced them with full ones because the barman had forgotten to pull through first thing on Sunday lunchtime -- even though we weren't complaining, in fact we were enthusing about how delicious it was...

1 hour ago, IanD said:

We couldn't get onto the Soar as planned, it was closed for a day from Leicester to the Trent because of high water levels so this put paid to the idea of mooring in the middle of Leicester. Instead we moored at Aylestone below King's Lock (above where the Soar joins), there are good moorings before Packhorse Bridge (#105). Even better, there's a very nice pub (the Black Horse) a couple of minutes walk away, with excellent food and beer (and good Covid-19 precautions). Result... ?

Before I forget, if you're going through Shardlow on a Thursday make sure to call in at the Malt Shovel, it's Thai night, the food was truly excellent, as was the Pedigree -- not normally one of my favourite beers, but it was sublime. Got talking to a local who remembered the beer-perfectionist landlord (Dickie...?) from our visit in 1986, when he took our half-finished pints away and replaced them with full ones because the barman had forgotten to pull through first thing on Sunday lunchtime -- even though we weren't complaining, in fact we were enthusing about how delicious it was...

I travelled upstream on the Soar last Monday and Tuesday. Despite it having been high and a decent amount of flow still remaining I found it really easy cruising as it was wider and deeper than I had anticipated. Very enjoyable. Not so the Trent on which we took a trip to Nottingham and back from Trent Junction on the Sunday. It was really hard work pushing against the flow from Beeston to Cranfleet. Averaged just 2.25 mph and was barely moving over land on the shallow section just east of Cranfleet cut despite it showing six inches into the green when we left Beeston. It’s not like the Severn along which it’s not always obvious whether you’re going upstream or downstream at face value.

Of all the places I’ve visited since leaving Droitwich and travelling via Stourport, Great Haywood, Fradley, Langley Mill, Nottingham, Leicester, Market Harborough and Welford to Stowe Hill I think Shardlow has to be the most disappointing.

JP

50 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I travelled upstream on the Soar last Monday and Tuesday. Despite it having been high and a decent amount of flow still remaining I found it really easy cruising as it was wider and deeper than I had anticipated. Very enjoyable. Not so the Trent on which we took a trip to Nottingham and back from Trent Junction on the Sunday. It was really hard work pushing against the flow from Beeston to Cranfleet. Averaged just 2.25 mph and was barely moving over land on the shallow section just east of Cranfleet cut despite it showing six inches into the green when we left Beeston. It’s not like the Severn along which it’s not always obvious whether you’re going upstream or downstream at face value.

Of all the places I’ve visited since leaving Droitwich and travelling via Stourport, Great Haywood, Fradley, Langley Mill, Nottingham, Leicester, Market Harborough and Welford to Stowe Hill I think Shardlow has to be the most disappointing.

JP

Unfortunately, and despite many requests, including from their employees, to CRT to change the dangerous situation at Beeston, the guage is inaccurate and has been since they allowed the hydro scheme at the weir.

• 2 weeks later...