River Severn might be going up a bit.....

matty40s

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Can Wales stop hogging all of the rain please?

We could do with some over here in Nottinghamshire.

Yes, it doesn't look good for autumn cruising on the east side. The storms yesterday evening passed by to the south west of us (Braunston) and headed over towards Wales so maybe the south Oxford summit got some of it. Could do with a few inches in south Warwickshire.

Hi, 

We're doing the Stourport ring clockwise in a couple of weeks time so just watching the levels out of interest (I realise plenty can change in a short time!).

Been looking at the Severn levels which seem to be 0.97 at Bridgnorth and 1.03 at Worcester now - obviously I'll keep an eye on these as we're heading towards the river but would appreciate some advice... What sort of level would you suggest a hire boater with a decent amount of experience (on canals, this would be pretty much our first river) should have second thoughts at and consider turning around?

I reckon Hanbury junction is probably my decision point time-wise.

Cheers

Dave

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Can Wales stop hogging all of the rain please?

We could do with some over here in Nottinghamshire.

We, here in Wales would be more than happy for you to have our rain. Some of us are investigating the rumours of sightings of Noah and  a large pile of planks.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cornishdave said:

Hi, 

We're doing the Stourport ring clockwise in a couple of weeks time so just watching the levels out of interest (I realise plenty can change in a short time!).

Been looking at the Severn levels which seem to be 0.97 at Bridgnorth and 1.03 at Worcester now - obviously I'll keep an eye on these as we're heading towards the river but would appreciate some advice... What sort of level would you suggest a hire boater with a decent amount of experience (on canals, this would be pretty much our first river) should have second thoughts at and consider turning around?

I reckon Hanbury junction is probably my decision point time-wise.

Cheers

Dave

Which way are you going? In reality it won’t be your call. Also those levels mean nothing much for boating.

At Hanbury top lock there’s a board that shows both the condition of the River Salwarpe (along which you travel to enter Droitwich) and the River Severn. If they both show green lights you are fine to go, anything else and a hire boat shouldn’t proceed. Bear in mind though that from Hanbury Junction you likely won’t be on the Severn until the next day, it’s at least 5 hours from Hanbury via Droitwich and more via Worcester.

JP

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Which way are you going? In reality it won’t be your call. Also those levels mean nothing much for boating.

At Hanbury top lock there’s a board that shows both the condition of the River Salwarpe (along which you travel to enter Droitwich) and the River Severn. If they both show green lights you are fine to go, anything else and a hire boat shouldn’t proceed. Bear in mind though that from Hanbury Junction you likely won’t be on the Severn until the next day, it’s at least 5 hours from Hanbury via Droitwich and more via Worcester.

JP

Excellent, thanks - hadn't realised there were indicators for the Severn at Hanbury, that's perfect ?

We'll be going via Droitwich - assuming we can fit under the M5 ?

Thanks again

7 minutes ago, cornishdave said:

Excellent, thanks - hadn't realised there were indicators for the Severn at Hanbury, that's perfect ?

We'll be going via Droitwich - assuming we can fit under the M5 ?

Thanks again

The M5 bridge is a bit of a non-issue, the canal is only common with a small stream at that point. The most likely problem is flooding below the M5 where the navigation is on the River Salwarpe. Any risk and the locks will be padlocked above and below the sections common to the rivers in any case.

Chances are it will be fine, there was barely any water in the Severn before this weeks rain.

JP

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, it doesn't look good for autumn cruising on the east side. The storms yesterday evening passed by to the south west of us (Braunston) and headed over towards Wales so maybe the south Oxford summit got some of it. Could do with a few inches in south Warwickshire.

We certainly got a downpour - I was trying to moor in the worst of it!

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

And there is another board at Lock 2

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

We certainly got a downpour - I was trying to moor in the worst of it!

And there is another board at Lock 2

Lock 2 is at Hawford for clarity to anyone reading.

There is no way of winding above Hawford locks for anything over 35’ so that board is of no great use if you don’t have the ability to sit it out and wait. The last winding hole on the Droitwich heading west is above lock 8 at Ladywood.

JP

I think it would take a bit more than the recent deluges to affect the Severn by much, and it tends to rise slowly. It takes at least a couple of days for water to get to the navigable stretch from the upper reaches. The Avon is different, it goes up and down like a fiddler's elbow.

In the days of lock keepers at Diglis they used to let you out onto the river provided the level was less than 2ft up.

On one memorable occasion he said to us " don't hang about its 1'11" up, another inch and you are not going"

Made us go out backwards so we didn't have to turn in front of the weir.

Many hours later arrived at Stourport to be greeted by " Who the F let you out on the river its well over 2' up" from the lock keeper.

Witnessed a hire boat break loose from a submerged pub moorings on the way up, the 6 guys from the boat only just managed to hold it.

The Severn was the colour of chocolate, a lot of sediment on the way down.