Rochdale (again)

Featured Posts

I’m looking at the maps and planning my stop overs on the way up the Rochdale from Manchester 

I’ll be doing lock 81 from above New Islington to lock 65 Failsworth in one hit and then I’ll be looking for somewhere to over night. 
I thought if I have the energy I’d carry on and stay over on the River Irk Aquaduct. 
Anyone know if I can tie up there?

Otherwise I thought I’d overnight on the locklanding of lock 63. 

Unless anyone can recommend anywhere better to tie up between Failsworth and Chadderton?

Thanks

Edited by Goliath

New Islington to well above Failworth Top Lock should indeed be done in a single hit, and make an early start, especially as the kids are not at school (though I expect the Newton Heath kids probably don't know what school is). Last time we set off well before first light but now you will have to wait for CRT to unlock the locks.

The Irk aqueduct is the standard place to stop. If you are running late then the Boat and Horses just after the road tunnel is ok, it has mooring rings. Its not pretty but safe-ish as its overlooked by the pub garden, though you might get the odd motorbike go past in the night. You could get a pint and sit outside and look down on your boat. If you are running really late then some people do stop in the wide pound below Failsworth top lock (65). There is a big Tesco and an all night shop of some sort (Taxi company?) so its probably ok. I would not choose to stop there. If things have gone really well then you could go past the Irk and do the Slattocks flight. We have done the 18 and Slattocks in a single day but did have Ian Mack helping which makes a huge difference. Stop above Slattocks top lock on rings. If you were still a drinking man then walk down one lock and visit the Ship, a tiny canalside locals pub.

Rochdale is another slightly had work day (fair chance of prop fouls) so do stop at Slattocks top lock overnight and make an early start. Overnight stop is Littleborough. Mooring is  just below the lock but I prefer to go up two locks and stop past the new houses. You can now see and smell the Hills. Littleborough to Summit is a hard half day but you might have to sort an empty pound or two. 

If you can give a bit of notice I might be able to give you a hand up from New Islington to Failsworth.

.....................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

New Islington to well above Failworth Top Lock should indeed be done in a single hit, and make an early start, especially as the kids are not at school (though I expect the Newton Heath kids probably don't know what school is). Last time we set off well before first light but now you will have to wait for CRT to unlock the locks.

The Irk aqueduct is the standard place to stop. If you are running late then the Boat and Horses just after the road tunnel is ok, it has mooring rings. Its not pretty but safe-ish as its overlooked by the pub garden, though you might get the odd motorbike go past in the night. You could get a pint and sit outside and look down on your boat. If you are running really late then some people do stop in the wide pound below Failsworth top lock (65). There is a big Tesco and an all night shop of some sort (Taxi company?) so its probably ok. I would not choose to stop there. If things have gone really well then you could go past the Irk and do the Slattocks flight. We have done the 18 and Slattocks in a single day but did have Ian Mack helping which makes a huge difference. Stop above Slattocks top lock on rings. If you were still a drinking man then walk down one lock and visit the Ship, a tiny canalside locals pub.

Rochdale is another slightly had work day (fair chance of prop fouls) so do stop at Slattocks top lock overnight and make an early start. Overnight stop is Littleborough. Mooring is  just below the lock but I prefer to go up two locks and stop past the new houses. You can now see and smell the Hills. Littleborough to Summit is a hard half day but you might have to sort an empty pound or two. 

If you can give a bit of notice I might be able to give you a hand up from New Islington to Failsworth.

That’s a big favour to ask...

but if your up for it, I’ll say yes. 
You don’t have to do them all with me, 

Or come and meet me at Chadderton?

Nice thing is I could let you do the  boat driving while I work the locks. 

My mate, Simon can‘t make it so I’ll be on me tod. 

But I kind of like a challenge, if the weather is ok and there’s water then there’s no reason why I can’t get through the locks in the time they allow 8 til 4. 

I won’t be doing pubs on this trip. ☹️

My plan is to go up next Tuesday. 
But I can do the Wednesday or Thursday (depending on the whims of CRT of course) 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

That’s a big favour to ask...

but if your up for it, I’ll say yes. 
You don’t have to do them all with me, 

Or come and meet me at Chadderton?

Nice thing is I could let you do the  boat driving while I work the locks. 

My mate, Simon can‘t make it so I’ll be on me tod. 

But I kind of like a challenge, if the weather is ok and there’s water then there’s no reason why I can’t get through the locks in the time they allow 8 til 4. 

I won’t be doing pubs on this trip. ☹️

My plan is to go up next Tuesday. 
But I can do the Wednesday or Thursday (depending on the whims of CRT of course) 

The ship is closed at the moment. We moored just be for lock 65 . No trouble with locals. Could have dropped down to moor offside next to Tesco if we could have got into the edge as only one lock on the top ground paddle on the lock. Very safe at that side due to the taxi rank.

16 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

The ship is closed at the moment. We moored just be for lock 65 . No trouble with locals. Could have dropped down to moor offside next to Tesco if we could have got into the edge as only one lock on the top ground paddle on the lock. Very safe at that side due to the taxi rank.

The Failsworth pound is shown as a winding hole but its very shallow,  I don't think we could get anywhere near the edge. I quite like the Boat and Horses, its a big modern urban pub. it does Lees beer which is nothing special but it is a local brewery. They also do a decent pie and you can't go through Lancashire without a cheese pie ?. I believe the rebuilding of the Boat and Horses was a key factor in the restoration of the Rochdale so it deserves a visit.

................Dave

Once you leave Manchester you likely  won't see a moored boat till you get to Littleborough, or just maybe one at the top of Slattocks. Rochdale totally turns it back on its canal, though there are a couple of bits of good organised canalside graffiti. Its got a little canal arm that has potential but its derelict. Once this virus goes away we would also like a look at Rochdale, its got several listed buildings. Best bet is to get up to Todmorden then have a day out on the train. 

And there's a canalside pub in Newton Heath that needs a visit just to say you've been in, but I have not been brave enough yet.

..............Dave

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

I’m looking at the maps and planning my stop overs on the way up the Rochdale from Manchester 

I’ll be doing lock 81 from above New Islington to lock 65 Failsworth in one hit and then I’ll be looking for somewhere to over night. 
I thought if I have the energy I’d carry on and stay over on the River Irk Aquaduct. 

Unless anyone can recommend anywhere better to tie up between Failsworth and Chadderton?

Thanks

We came down from Lock 65 a few days ago - we moored up night before just before it (past the bridge) and it was nice and quiet. Also meant we were ready to descend right away. Would recommend that as a mooring point on your ascent.

Worth noting it took us (and another boat we duoed with) the best part of 8 hours to do it the stretch. The canal is a bloody mess and you're going to have to clear your prop a fair few times. There's also lots of low water pounds to contend with.

Also note there's a trolley currently hidden in one of the locks. Believe it was 67, that almost caused real damage. Just beware of what's floating around in there.

I've enclosed a picture of the stuff we brought down with us on our trip... All got tangled our prop or the other boats prop!

IMG_20200813_001212.jpg

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Thanks

Boat and Horses is fine for an overnight stop, but I don't think I would leave the boat unattended other than while in the pub.

Moorings outside the Rose of Lancaster are shallow- better to moor beyond the Irk Aqueduct a 100 yards or so further on. There are bollards here. The Rose have locked their gate from the towpath, but there are steps on the Manchester side of the main road bridge. I have gone off the Rose since they refused us a meal when their website said they were doing food (read their TripAdvisor reviews for other examples of idiosyncratic behaviour towards customers), but the Modhubon Indian takeaway just across the bridge is excellent and well recommended.

As well as the Ship at Slattocks there is another pub- Hopwood Arms? just beyond the top of the locks. Never been in but it looks OK from the outside.

No moorings at Rochdale. Most boaters hasten through.

At Littleborough you can moor right behind the station, below lock 48, or above 47. The former is closer to the town centre - use the subway under the station; the latter is overlooked by new housing, and the sanitary station is just across the canal (although there seems to be a boat permanently moored there). The Red Lion pub is between the two, and often has good value special offers on local beers. Both are safe locations to leave the boat for a few days.

• Happy 1

We live in Littleborough (house). it's as safe as anywhere.

It's one stop on the train back to Rochdale if you want to explore.

Town Hall is impressive, in fact we married there in a bit of a hurry.

• Happy 1

Haven’t gone down into Manchester via the Ashton yet. Probably won’t until I know for sure I can go up the Rochdale. 

I booked a passage Thursday gone for this coming Tuesday.
It was agreed over the phone with a promise I’d get a call back to confirm. 
Typically I didn’t get a call back. 
So I will ring first thing tomorrow morning and enquire before deciding whether to go down the Ashton. 

In the meantime I hear boats have been turned away this weekend from going up the Rochdale because of low pounds. 

So ho hum, I got no where I need to be 
and Ashton has grown on me, so I’ll wait it out here. 

Wasn't looking forward to doing them in the rain anyway. 

It sounds like the "vandalism" is continuing even though all the locks are locked up every night. I believe CRT spent a whole day sorting out levels but when they returned next morning to let the waiting boats up several pounds were empty again. Another theory is that the Rochdale 18 was effectively abandoned during lockdown, no boats using it and most staff furloughed so it got empty and the gates all dried out and got leaky. What I don't understand is that a few boats have gone up and down in the last couple of weeks so was has it all gone so wrong just now? Plenty of water up at the summit.

...................Dave

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

It sounds like the "vandalism" is continuing even though all the locks are locked up every night. I believe CRT spent a whole day sorting out levels but when they returned next morning to let the waiting boats up several pounds were empty again. Another theory is that the Rochdale 18 was effectively abandoned during lockdown, no boats using it and most staff furloughed so it got empty and the gates all dried out and got leaky. What I don't understand is that a few boats have gone up and down in the last couple of weeks so was has it all gone so wrong just now? Plenty of water up at the summit.

...................Dave

How are the vandals emptying the pounds when the locks are padlocked up?

I understand each set of locks is padlocked,  not just the top and bottom lock to stop boaters entering the flight. And this padlocking is in addition to the anti vandal locks. 

So what additional padlocking are they doing? Obviously not working. 

Edited by Goliath
Trying to make better sense

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

How are the vandals emptying the pounds when the locks are padlocked up?

I understand each set of locks is padlocked not just top and bottom lock to stop boaters. 
And this padlocking is in addition to the anti vandal locks. 

So what additional padlocking are they doing? 

That's why I put the "vandalism" in quotes. I expect all the kids without a school to go to probably did cause a bit of trouble, but it now looks like there are other problems too. From the pictures I have seen it looks like the pounds right at the bottom (Miles Platting) are empty.  I suspect a big factor is that there is just not enough water flow down the Rochdale, and lots of short pounds, so a leaky gate or two really does cause a lot of trouble.

..................Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

That's why I put the "vandalism" in quotes. I expect all the kids without a school to go to probably did cause a bit of trouble, but it now looks like there are other problems too. From the pictures I have seen it looks like the pounds right at the bottom (Miles Platting) are empty.  I suspect a big factor is that there is just not enough water flow down the Rochdale, and lots of short pounds, so a leaky gate or two really does cause a lot of trouble.

..................Dave

Last time I tried to go up , I had a fair old rant on the phone at the CRT bloke looking after the flight. 

In an ideal world a big difficult lock flight like that one would have a full time lockkeeper. Second best might be a couple of nominated staff who know the flight well and check it most days, plus a booking system so that when boats are going up they can go out the day before and sort out the levels. I do suspect that one of the volunteer lockkeepers does some day before water management but I think the volunteers are laid off at present, in fact that's probably a factor in it all going wrong.

................Dave

It’s difficult/tricky

There’re clearly issues with the flight. 
However water levels on the flight will be checked daily by a water operative. 

As boaters we  have to book 48hr in advance, so yea you’d expect water levels to be sorted
Yet CRT can only take it day by day.

Dunno, it all sounds a load of cock. 

And Lazy cock at that. 

Edited by Goliath

Devizes flight has a whole team of lock keepers whizzing up and down on quad bikes, plus several volunteers helping boaters. It has nice big side ponds and a good water supply so the levels mostly look after themselves. It also has loads of visitors and is spectacular.  Rochdale is a pile of shit through really bad housing estates and locals who throw all their crap and bikes into the water. Nobody looks after it. There is a team of one or two really good volunteers who just about make it viable.

Most boaters who do it say "never again". I think I must be bonkers.

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Most boaters who do it say "never again". I think I must be bonkers.

You're in good company Dave.  We really like the Rochdale, obviously more from Sowerby Bridge to Littleborough than through the urban bits.

My technique has evolved into absolute minimum propeller use in lock chambers, simply because that's where most of the crap gathers.  Strap to a halt, control with lines, start with a pull and maybe give a few seconds at tickover to assist.  Lots of revving means lots of weedhatch diving!

It's not quite as wolf and shark infested as @Jim Riley makes out though ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

There is a Canal Closed sign posted at Summit. Walked up there today. 

Closed between locks 61 and 64 for essential repairs. 

Is it current or an old notice?? No date on it.

But there's a phone number 03030 404040 or Cart's website. 

15 hours ago, dmr said:

...................Dave

We went down about a week ago, from summit and through Manchester and it was pretty appalling. I've sent an email onto CRT explaining the huge number of issues we found.

Massive leaks in locks, pounds empty, certain paddles not working correctly, etc.

We were coming down a lock and our boat got wedged by a trolley hidden in a lock. We had to stop and refill as it was threatening to capsize us. One of the scariest moments we've had.

We pulled an absurd amount of rubbish out the canal and had to tug someone else along because the water was too low for them.

Even after leaving Islington marina the next day and going down to Rochdale 9 we had to refill an empty pound at the top and at the bottom.

A CRT member suggested that some kids had got hold of handcuff keys (not that it's hard ..). So unless every paddle is locked, then there's a risk of pounds being emptied.

21 minutes ago, Boaty Jo said:

There is a Canal Closed sign posted at Summit. Walked up there today. 

Closed between locks 61 and 64 for essential repairs. 

Is it current or an old notice?? No date on it.

It's an old notice. I saw it when we came through last week. 61 to 64 were open then.