Legal proof of ownership

clrpm

Featured Posts

I'm going to be living on a boat that my parents own, but the license is in my name. Because they own it is it ok that the license is in my name or should it be in theirs?

Is there anything official I need to do for proof of the situation if for example  banks where to ask for proof of ownership.

Unless your boat is Part 1 Ships Registered then there is nothing to give 'concrete' proof of ownership, so nothing you can show a bank except your bill of sale, and the bill of sale from the guy he bought it from, and so on and so on until you get the original builders bill of sale.

There is no such thing as a 'log book' (like a car - although even that says "This is not proof of ownership")

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

Part I registration

Register your boat on the Part I register if you want to:

• prove you own the boat
  • prove your boat’s nationality
  • use the boat as security for a marine mortgage
  • register a pleasure vessel
  • get ‘transcripts of registry’, which show the boat’s previous owners and whether there are any outstanding mortgages

Your boat must have a unique name to be registered.

It costs £153 to register for 5 years.

How to apply

You’ll need to have:

Send the following supporting documents:

• certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement
  • international tonnage certificate if the boat is over 24 metres
  • certificate of incorporation if you’re registering on behalf of a company
  • deletion certificate if your boat was previously on another register
  • confirmation of radio call sign if you have one

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I would have thought that licensing a boat is much like licensing car, in that it has nothing to do i with ownership.  With a car if your name is on the V5 that only makeS you the registered keeper, not the owner.  So as the person who pays the boat licence it does not infer ownership. That I would have thought to be very common with sponsored boats in hire fleets for example.

Why would anyone ask for proof of ownership, I certainly have never been asked for that.

CaRT don't care who owns the boat. Only that the license is paid for and that there is a person they can chase up over any problems, or payments. They will check that it has a boat safety scheme certificate and may check that the insurance details you provide are valid. As @David Mack says, who is the official person as far as CaRT is concerned is a matter for you and your folks to decide between you. 

Welcome to the living on boat world by the way. 

Jen

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Ownership is a matter for you and your parents. If you live on the boat and you licence it, CRT will be happy to treat you as the owner regardless. Don't worry about it.

As A de E points out there is no absolute proof of ownership for most boats.

I suspect that it does not lead CaRT to treat someone as an owner, rather as a licencee.

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless your boat is Part 1 Ships Registered then there is nothing to give 'concrete' proof of ownership, so nothing you can show a bank except your bill of sale, and the bill of sale from the guy he bought it from, and so on and so on until you get the original builders bill of sale.

There is no such thing as a 'log book' (like a car - although even that says "This is not proof of ownership")

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

Part I registration

Register your boat on the Part I register if you want to:

• prove you own the boat
  • prove your boat’s nationality
  • use the boat as security for a marine mortgage
  • register a pleasure vessel
  • get ‘transcripts of registry’, which show the boat’s previous owners and whether there are any outstanding mortgages

Your boat must have a unique name to be registered.

It costs £153 to register for 5 years.

How to apply

You’ll need to have:

Send the following supporting documents:

• certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement
  • international tonnage certificate if the boat is over 24 metres
  • certificate of incorporation if you’re registering on behalf of a company
  • deletion certificate if your boat was previously on another register
  • confirmation of radio call sign if you have one

This is correct AFAIK but it is irrelevant to a canal boat.

Pay your licence fee to CaRT, and that is all that matters. Except BSS certificate, insurance, mooring, maintenance, fuel ...

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Pay your licence fee to CaRT, and that is all that matters. Except BSS certificate, insurance, mooring, maintenance, fuel ...

That may well be true, but the original question from the OP was how to prove ownership.

It may not apply to canal boats, but that is canal boaters choice, not that the Registration system excludes them, having said that it has applied to canal boats where a marine mortgae has been taken out and the requirement was to have a proof of ownership (as reported by people on this forum)

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

But its not irrelevant as per the OPs question. Apart from part one registration there is no legal document that proves ownership apart from a very recent bill of sale and even then its not absolute proof because the seller may not have a good title. Pragmatically a paper trail for the boat's life is about as best as you can get but practically, as you say, ownership is not an issue, its just who incenses it.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But its not irrelevant as per the OPs question. Apart from part one registration there is no legal document that proves ownership apart from a very recent bill of sale and even then its not absolute proof because the seller may not have a good title. Pragmatically a paper trail for the boat's life is about as best as you can get but practically, as you say, ownership is not an issue, its just who incenses it.

You have repeated what I said in a different way.

I simply said that there is no definitive proof of ownership UNLESS it is Pt1 registered.

If you go for Pt1 registration you have to provide at least 5 years Bill of Sale's or the original Builders invoice.

My point was that your original post of the Part 1 Registration of Ships looked as if it was something a new boater needed to worry about - I was seeking to reassure them that it was a succession of hoops they didn't actually have to jump through. In other words, I was responding to the question rather than providing a baldly literal answer. No offence was intended.