Replacing immersion heater for a surecal 55l vertical

Tasemu

Featured Posts

Hello again folks. I've moved onto my new boat now and loving life. As expected there are a few things I need to fix but so far nothing catastrophic. Yesterday my immersion heater for my calorifier broke and needs to be replaced. I have a 55l (I'm fairly sure) vertical standing unit. I've been told its just a matter of draining some hot water from the taps with the pump off, then unscrewing it and putting the new unit in.

This seems easy enough, but i've learned from experience that asking here first usually results in less tears down the line. So I wanted to ask here for any advice on the subject. I've tried using the search but did not find anything unfortunately. Also I have no idea how long my immersion heater is so cannot order a new one without knowing. Bit worried about taking the old one out without having a replacement ready...

Thanks for any and all advice as always!

Just now, system 4-50 said:

You are sure that its broken?

I'd buy my replacement from Surecal so that I knew it was kosher.

yeah 99% sure, my go-to boat guy said he's sure it is and it trips the 240v breaker whenever I try to turn it on, and it smelled burnt.

• Happy 1

It is best to loosen the old immersion heater before draining water from the calorifier,  otherwise it is all too easy to tear the calorifier, especially if it is made of copper. That said I think most Surecal ones these days are stainless steel.

Just keep a towel handy to mop un any leakage.

45 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Hello again folks. I've moved onto my new boat now and loving life. As expected there are a few things I need to fix but so far nothing catastrophic. Yesterday my immersion heater for my calorifier broke and needs to be replaced. I have a 55l (I'm fairly sure) vertical standing unit. I've been told its just a matter of draining some hot water from the taps with the pump off, then unscrewing it and putting the new unit in.

This seems easy enough, but i've learned from experience that asking here first usually results in less tears down the line. So I wanted to ask here for any advice on the subject. I've tried using the search but did not find anything unfortunately. Also I have no idea how long my immersion heater is so cannot order a new one without knowing. Bit worried about taking the old one out without having a replacement ready...

Thanks for any and all advice as always!

I can't help with the specific problem but after some other recent "requests for help" I'd like to thank the poster for a politely worded question containing all the required information in order for us to assist him!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It is best to loosen the old immersion heater before draining water from the calorifier,  otherwise it is all too easy to tear the calorifier, especially if it is made of copper. That said I think most Surecal ones these days are stainless steel.

Just keep a towel handy to mop un any leakage.

I heard that the water is all pressurised in the calorifier, if I were to loosen it would I not expect it to spurt a lot of water out? (our calorifier is based inside our wardrobe and my girlfriend would kill me I imagine) :)

1 minute ago, 1st ade said:

I can't help with the specific problem but after some other recent "requests for help" I'd like to thank the poster for a politely worded question containing all the required information in order for us to assist him!

Thanks, I come here quite a lot for help so I always make sure to be on my best behaviour haha!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

I heard that the water is all pressurised in the calorifier, if I were to loosen it would I not expect it to spurt a lot of water out? (our calorifier is based inside our wardrobe and my girlfriend would kill me I imagine) :)

Thanks, I come here quite a lot for help so I always make sure to be on my best behaviour haha!

@cuthound was not suggesting that you taking the immersion out or even unscrewing it several turns while the system is pressurised. The idea is that you just start to unscrew it, maybe half a turn and then depressurise the system before totally removing it.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

@cuthound was not suggesting that you taking the immersion out or even unscrewing it several turns while the system is pressurised. The idea is that you just start to unscrew it, maybe half a turn and then depressurise the system before totally removing it.

Exactly, thanks for clarifying that to Tasemu Tony.

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Exactly, thanks for clarifying that to Tasemu Tony.

Ok thanks a bunch, i'll make sure to do so. :)

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

Lol - your answer (non-answer) is as bad as the posts without enough information...

Er.. I don't think it's just a matter of depressurising the calorifier before attempting to take out the immersion heater is it? 

If it's a vertical calorifier and your immersion heater is at the bottom then you're going to have to drain the lot. At least that's what I did.

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If it's a vertical calorifier and your immersion heater is at the bottom then you're going to have to drain the lot. At least that's what I did.

Why is your calorifier upside down?

22 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

If it’s like a house thermostat you may only have to. Take the cap off and slide the thermostat out that’s the bit where all the wires go to and fit a new one  warning turn the electric off first 

graham 

Yes, if it's just the slidey bits that need replacing that would be much easier. But if he's smelled burning the whole thing might need replacing.

As Jacko says make sure any mains supply is off, shore cable unplugged and inverter off and ideally fuse disconnected before messing about with the immersion.

If you do need to drain the entire calorifier and don't have a dedicated draining point then what I did was with the water pump off and system pressure released by opening a couple of taps, disconnect the cold feed pipe to the calorifier at the calorifier side of the non-return valve (if you have one fitted). Because of the vacuum in the calorifier water does not come gushing out. So all you have to do is place the disconnected pipe in a washing up bowl and gently turn the spring-loaded pressure relief valve at the top of the calorifier. This releases the vacuum and allows air into the top of the calorifier allowing the water out and when the washing up bowl is getting full release the PRV to stop the flow. Do this 5 or 6 times and your calorifier will be empty.

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why is your calorifier upside down?

Is it? I didn't realise it was. I thought that immersion at the bottom and hot water outlet at the top was the preferred configuration.

Edited by blackrose

If you can smell burning have a look under the cap first, it could just be the wiring burning and needing reterminating.

If the element is horizontal in the side of the calorifier near the bottom, it will need draining. Blackrose has suggested one way how how, having a wet vac handy is a good idea.

It is likely to be a small flange one, 2"BSP. Domestic ones are bigger, 2 1/4".

You will need a spanner to fit or a large pair of slip joint water pliers.

Move the GF's clothes!

2 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Why not give surejust/surecal a ring.  They have lots of immersion on their site and I am sure they will be able to sort out which one you need.

N

I've tried to find their number on their website but was only met with a contact form and no response. ?