Union Canal Breach

John Foster

Featured Posts

Stop planks are in (probably have been for a while now) and the level on the canal further east is about a foot down. Iain has loosened Gamebirds ropes to be on the safe side and hopefully no boats were too badly affected by the breach. Flooding in parts of Scotland were pretty bad last night and there have been several landslips. I have never seen lightening like it. There were flashes every few seconds and it went on for hours. 

Haggis

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It doesn't look a very big canal.

Oh, it was once before the reeds were left to grow and the silt to substitute for the depth. You'll not get more than 50% of the width available now for boating and it fills up at 25mm per year from field run off being a contour canal made up predominantly of side cuts.

20 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Oh, it was once before the reeds were left to grow and the silt to substitute for the depth. You'll not get more than 50% of the width available now for boating and it fills up at 25mm per year from field run off being a contour canal made up predominantly of side cuts.

Agree about the altered size, but it's not really a contour canal. It maintains its level by extensive use of cuttings, embankments and three major aqueducts. It doesn't closely follow the pre-existing contour.

Edited by Iain_S

37 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Is that someone's expensive fibre optic cable dropping across the gap?

Possibly ! I wondered that too and I can't remember if our towpaths were used as cable routes as they were down south

Haggis