Graffiti and Vandalism

Heartland

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Although it is correct that graffiti in itself is not actually menacing what it can do is create or at the very least contribute to a menacing atmosphere in a location.

It's often associated with rundown desolate places where because they are often deserted (hence the ability to do it) there is a perceived (or indeed actual) risk that one may come to some harm at the hands of some thug.

I think that is what was meant when it was described as menacing.

A very fair assessment.

21 minutes ago, frangar said:

I consider banksy and his ilk the worst type of graffiti as it just seems to make it acceptable which it most certainly isn’t. I’d much rather admire the building or wall as it was built. So called street art has no redeeming features in my opinion. 

I agree up to a point but some is very clever and artistic.

But my personal favourite is the temporary stuff done in chalk  which washes away in the first rain storm.

Some of the stuff done by this chap using chalk and charcoal is just brilliant.

https://mymodernmet.com/david-zinn-street-art/

Street art_1.jpg

We have a Banksy (allegedly) on a beach near us.

It's not particularly impressive IMHO.

It would seem that Athy has a great concern for meanings and words, but so far has not commented on actions. There is still the threat of Covid, and even on the towpath people try to keep thier distance. It is a good way to get exercise, as recommended from the start. I do think that it is not unreasonable for people to follow the current policies and directions, It is not good to see people spraying paint and the smell of solvent is also offensive.

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I consider banksy and his ilk the worst type of graffiti as it just seems to make it acceptable which it most certainly isn’t. I’d much rather admire the building or wall as it was built. So called street art has no redeeming features in my opinion. 

Better not go down the W & B through Worcester then, where CaRT and the City Council organised scenes to be painted on several bridges. 
My daughter was one of those paid to do it.

Edited by Graham Davis

Just now, Graham Davis said:

Better not go down the W & B through Worcester then, where CaRT and the City Council organised scenes to be painted on several bridges. 
My daughter was one of those paid to do it.

Theve vandalised the locks in Leicester in the same way....CRT were proud of making it look a total eyesore. I have made my feelings known. 

It’s a shame your daughter can’t find a better outlet for her talent. 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Some in Leicester brightens up grim areas, and is quite clever....

20200812_172940.jpg

20200812_175133.jpg

Really?? Just looks a total mess to me. 

• Greenie 3
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Theve vandalised the locks in Leicester in the same way....CRT were proud of making it look a total eyesore. I have made my feelings known. 

Insulting as ever without bothering to find out the truth I see.

For your information my daughter is employed by Councils, schools, and other places to paint large murals on buildings, advertising hoardings and such like. That is exactly what CaRT and Worcester City Council did. The scenes painted on the bridges in Worcester were of local views and buildings, covering up past "tags" and since they were put there there has been LESS graffiti in that area. 

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

Insulting as ever without bothering to find out the truth I see.

For your information my daughter is employed by Councils, schools, and other places to paint large murals on buildings, advertising hoardings and such like. That is exactly what CaRT and Worcester City Council did. The scenes painted on the bridges in Worcester were of local views and buildings, covering up past "tags" and since they were put there there has been LESS graffiti in that area. 

What was wrong with the bridges looking like bridges?? I don’t want to be greeted with someone’s idea of “art”....I can think of much better uses for the money spent. 

• Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

What was wrong with the bridges looking like bridges?? I don’t want to be greeted with someone’s idea of “art”....I can think of much better uses for the money spent. 

Try reading what I wrote!!
I'll put it as simply as possible for you:
The bridges were previously tagged.
The Council and CaRT agreed what had to be painted.
The local Community agreed what was painted,
The tags were covered up.
There has been LESS graffiti since!

7 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Try reading what I wrote!!
I'll put it as simply as possible for you:
The bridges were previously tagged.
The Council and CaRT agreed what had to be painted.
The local Community agreed what was painted,
The tags were covered up.
There has been LESS graffiti since!

I read it thank you...Why not just clean the graffiti off....there is only less graffiti in your opinion....I would argue that anything coating the walls is graffiti...however you wish to dress it up as “art” or other nonsense. As for the local “community” having worked for a LA I can surmise how this came about. 

Edited by frangar
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I think that’s a bit mean. 
Good for her engaging with youngsters. 

I think all the community murals I’ve seen have been painted underneath bridges or inside tunnels and most look really good. Some are shit. They’ve usually been done under bridges that are modern and concrete or were cement rendered long ago. 

And again lots  I’ve seen are done by school children and reflect local history. 

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 2

The topic title conflates graffiti and vandalism. They are two separate things. Graffiti is an attempt at creation, sometimes more successful than others. Vandalism is destructive. Both are a way of altering the environment by some of the people that live there. Usually they get to have no influence over what their world looks like. Buildings can go up and be torn down and the ground left waste. Adverts can be pasted up, many of them meaner and uglier than any graffiti tag, but with no say for anyone who lives there over what is done. It isn't a brilliant outlet for peoples energies, but I sort of get why. 

Jen

• Greenie 3

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think that’s a bit mean. 
Good for her engaging with youngsters. 

I think all the community murals I’ve seen have been painted underneath bridges or inside tunnels and most look really good. Some are shit. They’ve usually been done under bridges that are modern and concrete or were cement rendered long ago. 

And again lots  I’ve seen are done by school children and reflect local history. 

Northampton arm motorway underpass is a fine example of what can be achieved by kids to stop crap graffiti tagging.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I read it thank you...Why not just clean the graffiti off....there is only less graffiti in your opinion....I would argue that anything coating the walls is graffiti...however you wish to dress it up as “art” or other nonsense. As for the local “community” having worked for a LA I can surmise how this came about. 

Why do you have to be so obnoxious?
So you don't think that a picture of Worcester Cathedral, or the Glovers Needle, or the Guild Hall is better than a few tags?
All that happens when you paint over tags is that they get put back again, this way that hasn't happened.
And yes the local community of the Arboretum were consulted, as my daughter was at the meetings and showed them examples of the work they were going to do.
Sounds like you've got a big chip on your shoulder.

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

So you don't think that a picture of Worcester Cathedral, or the Glovers Needle, or the Guild Hall is better than a few tags?
All that happens when you paint over tags is that they get put back again, this way that hasn't happened.

So basically you are saying if you put up good graffiti others don't graffiti over it?

Now where's that tongue in cheek emoticon when you need it?

15 hours ago, Heartland said:

It would seem that Athy has a great concern for meanings and words,

Thank you. Yes, of course: they are our way of conveying our ideas and feelings to other people.

15 hours ago, Heartland said:

I but so far has not commented on actions. There is still the threat of Covid, and even on the towpath people try to keep thier distance. It is a good way to get exercise, as recommended from the start. I do think that it is not unreasonable for people to follow the current policies and directions, It is not good to see people spraying paint and the smell of solvent is also offensive.

Oh yes I have. Perhaps you missed the meaning of my words. Whoops, must try harder.

I'm sure that you aren't really attempting to link someone painting a wall with the incidence of the corona virus, as that would risible. I must have missed the meaning of your words.

15 hours ago, frangar said:

Really?? Just looks a total mess to me. 

It's not the greatest work but it's OK.  But the that Mona Lissa jobbie looks a bit rough in the wrong light.?