Replace flooring

LadyG

Featured Posts

OK,

so my 57ft NB has [probably] ply fooring which has maybe 20mm 'parquet' on top.

I'd like to lay real wood flooring, 

So, the loo is 'isolated', do I take a big chisel and lift the existing floor, leaving [hopefully] ply with some sort of sticky stuff ?

I took up a tiled floor in a kitchen that had been put down over a chipboard floor with a thinner sheet ply covering. Removing the tiles brought up chunks of ply so that had to be replaced too. Removing the ply brought up chunks of the chipboard floor, so that too had to go.  I managed to save the insulation and the concrete! ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if you're also looking at all or nothing here Lady G. Perhaps that parquet might sand down and polish up a treat...?!  :D

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Perhaps that parquet might sand down and polish up a treat...?!

Exactly what I was thinking. “I want to remove my solid wood floor in order to lay a solid wood floor” doesn’t make much sense to me. 

It's some sort of cheap pseudo parquet, made of 4 x 1 inch square softwood glued in to 'tiles' Some dyed dark, some not but with a sort of plastic finish. I tried sanding, after an hour I got thru to the wood on about 1 sq ft.

It's just some BandQ  rubbish, needs to be replaced/covered

I 've put Flotex in the saloon, but it's a nighmare to remove cat hair, needs brushing every day.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I tried sanding, after an hour I got thru to the wood on about 1 sq ft.

You’d need to be using a belt sander. A random orbital sander is just a finish sander. 

I have always had carpet in the lounge and bedroom, and lino in kitchen and shower room. 2 dogs until June last year, now one dog. Lots of dog hairs, but easily hoovered up with a Dyson V6.

From what you have said, I'd be laying a reasonable carpet on some Cloud 9 underlay, on top of the pseudo parquet, and getting a decent hoover.

Alternatively, you might call it quits, leave the pseudo parquet, and let sleeping dogs lie :)

• Greenie 1

I know the stuff you mean, not terribly attractive. Is it just the loo that you want to re floor?  If so I would just chuck a rug in there. If its the whole boat I would carpet the whole lot . Cat hair? just varnish the cat. The only flippant bit of that is just the bit about the cat. I really would baulk at re flooring the whole boat or even parts of it when it is potentially a really big job and it might not look much better when its done. Our boats always had carpets or rugs and the living area carpet was changed every couple of years, we regarded carpet as disposable.

• Greenie 1

Tried vinyl planks and tiles, both unsucessful.

I ' d  like oak, loo was test area, cat brings mice to munch, 100% carpet no use, and hoover cost about £100 and are a pain.

I like to disinfect everything.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, Bee said:

I know the stuff you mean, not terribly attractive. Is it just the loo that you want to re floor?  If so I would just chuck a rug in there. If its the whole boat I would carpet the whole lot . Cat hair? just varnish the cat. The only flippant bit of that is just the bit about the cat. I really would baulk at re flooring the whole boat or even parts of it when it is potentially a really big job and it might not look much better when its done. Our boats always had carpets or rugs and the living area carpet was changed every couple of years, we regarded carpet as disposable.

I always carpet my boats apart from kitchen and bathroom. This boat has nice wood floors but they are a nightmare to keep clean with a hairy labrador. We had good quality wool carpets with good underlay fitted three years ago as we always do and its easier to keep clean than wooden floors. Decent wool carpets are easily cleaned and way more comfy to live on than wood. Every house I have ever owned I have always covered the wooden floors with carpets.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I always carpet my boats apart from kitchen and bathroom. This boat has nice wood floors but they are a nightmare to keep clean with a hairy labrador. We had good quality wool carpets with good underlay fitted three years ago as we always do and its easier to keep clean than wooden floors. Decent wool carpets are easily cleaned and way more comfy to live on than wood. Every house I have ever owned I have always covered the wooden floors with carpets.

We just chose the nearest match to the local mud we could find. Rugs are good, you can take 'em outside and give 'em a damn good beating.

Edited by Bee
  • Haha 3

Most practical flooring I have experienced in a boat is Flotex carpet tiles.

Hooverable, washable and scrubbable. They even survived hot coals and oil being dropped on them and last 12 years plus on a shared ownership boat.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Most practical flooring I have experienced in a boat is Flotex carpet tiles.

Hooverable, washable and scrubbable. They even survived hot coals and oil being dropped on them and last 12 years plus on a shared ownership boat.

+1for carpet tiles.  If you do get a burn or some other irreparable damage it is easy to just swap a few around so the damage is less visible.  (Or if you were far-sighted enough at outset, swap the damaged ones for spares!)

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I have Flotex in saloon, remove it every so often for washing, i's OK, but I have to brush it every day, browncat hairs stick to it, I might get some more ...........

I think you are too house (boat) proud ?. Perhaps it is time to realise that tow paths are not clean and dirt (and cat hairs) will appear on your floor covering. Time to worry when it reaches your ankles ?

Haggis

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think you are too house (boat) proud ?. Perhaps it is time to realise that tow paths are not clean and dirt (and cat hairs) will appear on your floor covering. Time to worry when it reaches your ankles ?

Haggis

I would just like it to be reasonably clean every day, it takes up too much time, and results are not great.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would just like it to be reasonably clean every day, it takes up too much time, and results are not great.

The way to tell if the boat has got too dirty is if you see the cocroaches using stilts.

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The way to tell if the boat has got too dirty is if you see the cocroaches using stilts.

There was an old boy round our way who invited me into his 200 year old house. When we entered from the back door into his clay floored kitchen I observed that for not an awful lot of money he could have tiles laid over the mud. “There are!” he replied. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have Flotex in saloon, remove it every so often for washing, i's OK, but I have to brush it every day, browncat hairs stick to it, I might get some more ...........

Just dye the cat to match the carpet. ??

On 11/08/2020 at 20:38, mrsmelly said:

Every house I have ever owned I have always covered the wooden floors with carpets.

I bought my current house 2 years ago.  It had been fully recarpeted for sale, even in the fitted wardrobes, coat cupboard, everywhere, including places that a vacuum cleaaner could not reach. Yes, there is the odd carpet moth, the vendor said. 2 years on and our house is busier than Heathrow at peak times.  All the carpet will eventually have to go.

• Haha 1