Over working fridge

CLAN1

Featured Posts

Hi, obviously in this heat the fridge keeps running, as it can't get cold, bought a computer fan fitted to back wall but fan seems useless, not enough blow from it. What do others use? Folk on here suggested the computer fan maybe im missing something. Cheers

You need a supply of fresh cool air to flow over the coils at the back of the fridge. There must be a route for the air to be supplied and a route for the heated air to escape. Hot air expands and rises, so easiest is if the air comes from the cabin bilge and escapes upwards. Holes in the floor under the rear of the fridge and other holes above the fridge to let the warmed air escape and give a continuous flow. Add a fan for extra oomph, but it can run on its own without. Mine has a grill in the floor and another in the kitchen work top above the back of the fridge. 

Jen

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mine is screwed to the floor over the hole, It only has to improve on convection to make things better

Mine too.  Wired to the fan connection on the fridge so only runs when the compressor is running.

30 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What route does the warmed air have to escape at the top, for preference, or sides? 

I have a vent above mine which even in this current weather seems to be working as the fridge is still only running approx 15-20 minutes in the hour.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, it is just the old phone we use as a 'hot-spot'.

CAM00454[1].jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Not all compressor fridges have the condenser at the back.  Most modern ones have it on both sides.  If so the fan(s) need to be moving air up the sides, and there needs to be a decent gap there for it to go up as well as at the top for the heated air to escape..  

You can tell if you have a side condenser.  There will be no network of pipes and wire radiator thingy on the  back and the sides (right side first, probably) will get warm when the fridge is going.

It is also important that the cooled air inside can circulate easily, so that the thermostat can do its job. So leave some air gaps between the beers, tonics, water bottles and milk cartons.  Clear out anything not essential.

N

• Greenie 2

It looks as if you have screwed it flat against the wall with no hole behind it. If so no wonder it  can't suck much air in to blow out.

What have you connected the wires to? If its the fridge control box maybe you have got the wrong terminals.

As said before the best thing is a hole in the floor with the fan over it so cool bilge air is blown up the fridge but you must give the air a way out, otherwise it will not blow much air.

IME you need a really LARGE computer fan, either an 8" jobby from a real computer mainframe ( a bit like hen's teeth) or at leas a 5" one designed for or ex PC power supply 

CPC farnell have some 12V 120mm for sale.

Chose your fan size then choose your fan here Quiet PC.  The bigger the airflow the better but it's a trade off against noise. If you wire it into the fridge so it only runs when the compressor is running then noise isn't really an issue.

Edited by Alway Swilby

But if he has just screwed it to the wall as the photo may show then  he can fit the biggest most powerful fan possible and it still won't blow much. The ait must have a way into the fan for it to be blown out.

Will @CLAN1 confirm if there is a large hole behind the fan or not?

The problem 99 percent of the time with regards fridges is most boat kitchens are very badly thought out, this is of course due to size limitations but neverthe less nearly every boat I have seen or owned the fridge is in the kitchen back against the hull and boxed in either side with cupboards. No air circulation and on days like to day no hope of the fridge working correcty. For years I bought short boats but for the last twenty they have all been over 65 feet and the difference makes such as kitchen planning far more sensible. My two fridges are under one work surface  with about six inches and more between them and any bulkhead or cupboard so hot air can escape and the fridges remain happy. The most sensible place of course is at the end of the kitchen units completely feestanding but not many seem to do this.

I drilled a 4" hole beneath my fridge, and fitted a computer fan to suck air up from the bilges,,,,,, there is a gap at the back and top of the fridge, so the air can flow. In addition, there is a vent into the lounge at the back of the fridge. The fan is connected such that it runs 24/7 when the fridge is powered up - noise isnt an issue.

In addition, I have fitted another computer fan at the front of the boat. This one blows into the bilge and is connected to the water pump feed, so also runs 24/7.

I don't know if this has actually affected the amount of time the compressor runs, as I didn't do a before and after measurement - but logic suggests that it will be better than no fans.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But if he has just screwed it to the wall as the photo may show then  he can fit the biggest most powerful fan possible and it still won't blow much. The ait must have a way into the fan for it to be blown out.

Will @CLAN1 confirm if there is a large hole behind the fan or not?

Hi tony you quite right my mistake, i did mount fan against wall, didn't think. Have previously drilled a few holes but will make bigger area then mount fan over that. Cheers mate

To tide me over till i can sort it ive got a 12v free standing fan quite powerful that is just sitting behind fridge as well as moved the fridge out a bit away from wall.this is doing the job for now.

Edited by CLAN1
Extra text

We are also having fridge problems at the moment. Ours is a shoreline integrated and nine years old now. Last year, we were out over a previous very hot and humid period. It started making some very strange noises, continued to work, then settled down when the weather cooled. I have added extra ventilation to the box it is built in, but not as yet added a fan. My next job. Just ordered a Silent eagle fan. I already have two of these, one venting the shoreline chest freezer, under the dinette,  tother under the bed. Both have worked fine adding a little air circulation and hoping this improves the fridge when fitted.

But, if the fridge is set at any higher than just below 1, it freezes the contents and runs almost continually, to I suspect the thermostat is also dodgy.

36 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

Hi tony you quite right my mistake, i did mount fan against wall, didn't think. Have previously drilled a few holes but will make bigger area then mount fan over that. Cheers mate

I think you may not have grasped the need to blow COOL air at the fridge. If the "wall" you talk about   has just the cabin on the other side you will be b,owing cabin temperature air and after a short while the same will apply if its a locker.

Just sticking a fan behind the fridge in the void just blows warm air that has been heated by the fridge about.

You need a source of the coldest air you can find and that means bilge air even if you have to duct it up the other side of the "wall" and through a large hole.  You then need to ensure its very easy for the air to escape from the void behind the fridge. If you don't ensure these two things you will be wasting your money and effort to some degree.