change out a PRM 120 for 150

Bob692

Featured Posts

We have a Canaline 38 with a PRM 120 gearbox. If we wanted to change it out for a PRM 150 is the fit the same or will I need a new flywheel cover/endplate and modify the prop shaft etc. I read it will also need an oil cooler does this use raw canal water or is it plumbed in to the engine cooling water.

I suspect the adaptor plate between flywheel housing is to an SAE standard so will probably do. I also expect the splines will be the same but f no a drive plate would need changing.

I can't speak for the length of the box so the shaft or engine may need moving.

The oil cooler is inserted into the return from the skin tank to the engine.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect the adaptor plate between flywheel housing is to an SAE standard so will probably do. I also expect the splines will be the same but f no a drive plate would need changing.

I can't speak for the length of the box so the shaft or engine may need moving.

The oil cooler is inserted into the return from the skin tank to the engine.

Thanks for the response. I now understand about the cooler.

PRM have drawings of their gearboxes, both current and out of production, like the 120 on their website in the user manuals. These give dimensions, input splines, output coupling, mounting hole positions and sizes, input to output shaft vertical displacement and so on. Everything to work out how hard the swap would be. 

PRM120 on page 11.

PRM150

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

PRM have drawings of their gearboxes, both current and out of production, like the 120 on their website in the user manuals. These give dimensions, input splines, output coupling, mounting hole positions and sizes, input to output shaft vertical displacement and so on. Everything to work out how hard the swap would be. 

PRM120 on page 11.

PRM150

Jen

Looks like a 16mm difference in length to me, with the 150 being shorter. 

I changed a Technodrive TC60 for a PRM150. The fit on the engine was the same, but a 5mm difference in drop and 9mm difference in length, easy enough to accommodate.  One thing that was different though was the direction on the Teleflex, that needed the cable fitting moving.

I can’t see changing from a 120 to be too much different.

Took me about 2.5hours not counting doing the oil cooler.  

38 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looks like a 16mm difference in length to me, with the 150 being shorter. 

Wow, Thanks for the links, it makes it much clearer. I can see there is 1.7 mm difference in the centres. It looks to me the dimension from the adaptor plate face to the coupling face is almost the same. 232 mm for the 120 and 216.4 + 16 = 232.4 mm on the 150, assuming SAE 5.