Grand Union Boating....slow on Saturday...FISH!

matty40s

Featured Posts

Maybe or maybe not....

Congrats to CRT fishing department, who work from a dark office several miles along the corridor from the boating section.

This coming Saturday(peak boating season) they are proud to announce a national fishing competition which will take place between Dodford and Cosgrove. 

Yes, 17 miles.....and 6 3/4 furlongs.

Encompassing Stoke Bruerne locks (CRT fishing experience currently in place in the bottom lock pound.....yes, fishing off the lock landings!!)

Last time on the Shroppie there were 500 pegs.

However, if you follow the link .....it also says that this years competition has been cancelled and the same stretch is already booked for 21st August next year.

Could someone down the dark corridor update the website.....

Screenshot_20200810-185540_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Cancelled? Surely fisher folk plonked every few yards down the canal bank are suitably socially-distanced?

Just be grateful it’s cancelled!! Why the hell they can’t use a lake or non navigable river I’ve no idea. 

These large fishing matches are a nerve racking experience but it was really interesting when we went past one of them loaded. They didn’t seem to understand that we moved quite a lot of water on a shallow canal so we were shouted at for speeding,pulling their keep nets out of the ground and anything else they could think of. Occasionally one would thank us as it seemed we pushed the fish onto his hook. 

• Greenie 3

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just be grateful it’s cancelled!! Why the hell they can’t use a lake or non navigable river I’ve no idea. 

Fishing matches have happened on the canal for a very long time, as I understand it there used to be many more but as there are more artificial fisheries available canal match numbers have dropped.

I am not defending stupid pegging, lock landings etc. Because that's just stupid.

5 hours ago, frangar said:

So, you know nowt about angling. To add balance, most anglers have absolutely no idea about boating either. 

Since both groups have a love of canals, you'd think someone - oh I don't know, maybe CRT and the National Federation of Anglers - could raise awareness in their bulletins and associated press, etc, and work to increase our mutual understanding to help us to clash less often due to this information gap.  Imagine if it said "No Fishing" on lock landings and maybe even explained why, for example. It's as unfair to expect anglers to simply "know" Boaters need lock landings as is to expect many of us to understand their needs. 

Boaters and Anglers are the two groups with a genuine interest in preserving our waterways as they are. Wouldn't it be to our mutual benefit if we were better aligned?

• Greenie 4

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So, you know nowt about angling. To add balance, most anglers have absolutely no idea about boating either. 

Since both groups have a love of canals, you'd think someone - oh I don't know, maybe CRT and the National Federation of Anglers - could raise awareness in their bulletins and associated press, etc, and work to increase our mutual understanding to help us to clash less often due to this information gap.  Imagine if it said "No Fishing" on lock landings and maybe even explained why, for example. It's as unfair to expect anglers to simply "know" Boaters need lock landings as is to expect many of us to understand their needs. 

Boaters and Anglers are the two groups with a genuine interest in preserving our waterways as they are. Wouldn't it be to our mutual benefit if we were better aligned?

Yeah, and lets not forget the poor cyclists who may not be able to chew the towpath up with their tyres if the fisher folk had their crap spread across the towpath ?

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Imagine if it said "No Fishing" on lock landings and maybe even explained why, for example. It's as unfair to expect anglers to simply "know" Boaters need lock landings as is to expect many of us to understand their needs. 

I had an angler on a services mooring this morning.  Half a dozen signs telling boaters 1 hour maximum, please move off the services as soon as you have finished using them etc. Not one "no fishing" sign, and only 47 feet between the visitor moorings either side of it.

Fortunately my boat is only 45 feet.  

When I was chairman Northampton IWA in the 80s we tried to get together with the angling fraternity after a big fishing match was held from bottom of stoke nearly to gosgrove with very little notice. I think we had two meetings in the Boat at Stoke Bruerne and learned that they wanted boats just to slow down and stay in the middle, it seems they sit on one side of the cut but fish on the other side. We asked if they would give advance information and put notices up stating when the match would start and finish so that if it was say finishing at 11am it gave the boaters the option of waiting until then. This did happen for a little while.

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Angling is just a bloodsport that has no place in a modern society to my mind. I have no wish to be “aligned” to such an organisation.  Hopefully it will be outlawed in my lifetime. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

Angling is just a bloodsport that has no place in a modern society to my mind. I have no wish to be “aligned” to such an organisation.  Hopefully it will be outlawed in my lifetime. 

I simply think it helps to understand the points of view of others so we can all rub along together, in this case anglers understanding boaters and vice versa. 

I have no wish do deny you your opinion but, if you think we should outlaw things some people (in the case of angling, you) don't like, how long do you think boating is gonna last? Just a thought... ;)

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, frangar said:

As the largest mass participation sport in the country, how many politicians are going to vote for that?

52 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As the largest mass participation sport in the country, 

Perhaps the largest participation hobby but can it really be called a sport?

Sport:  an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

To be fair there is quite a lot of exertion involved in getting out of the chair and having a go at passing boaters. Sometimes it involves gesticulating which is known to be a fairly arduous task for less fit people. 

Edited by magnetman
Typo
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Perhaps the largest participation hobby but can it really be called a sport?

Sport:  an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

You really have no idea.

It is a competition to see how large a trolley(with maximum amount of kit, bait and hook drawers,) you can pull down the path to your peg along with proof of purchase of how many metres of Carbon poles you take with you that scores points, fish caught are an irrelevance and have a minimal overall impact on who wins.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/08/2020 at 18:58, matty40s said:

Maybe or maybe not....

Congrats to CRT fishing department, who work from a dark office several miles along the corridor from the boating section.

This coming Saturday(peak boating season) they are proud to announce a national fishing competition which will take place between Dodford and Cosgrove. 

Yes, 17 miles.....and 6 3/4 furlongs.

Encompassing Stoke Bruerne locks (CRT fishing experience currently in place in the bottom lock pound.....yes, fishing off the lock landings!!)

Last time on the Shroppie there were 500 pegs.

However, if you follow the link .....it also says that this years competition has been cancelled and the same stretch is already booked for 21st August next year.

Could someone down the dark corridor update the website.....

Screenshot_20200810-185540_Chrome.jpg

Sounds like the ideal date and venue for a CWDF boat gathering... ??

• 11 months later...

Anyhow, last years cancelled competition returns this Saturday, same length of canal.

Over the weekend, sections of towpath have had flag irises and other natural obstacles removed(with the root ball), and these have been left all over the towpath. This is is preparation for their peg positions.

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Over the weekend, sections of towpath have had flag irises and other natural obstacles removed(with the root ball), and these have been left all over the towpath. This is is preparation for their peg positions.

Hmmm. Compare that with the advice sent out to boaters attending the IWA festival in Worcester over the bank holiday weekend:

"Moorings at this year's Festival are proving to be a bit problematic at the moment caused by the large amount of reed growth on the towpath side of the canal. When we first selected the site, back in 2019 the reeds were not a problem.  However, they are now growing more and more and in some places encroach onto the canal by 2 or more metres.  Unfortunately, for ecology reasons, CRT are not permitted to remove the reeds. We also are not allowed to cut back the reeds or vegetation on the towpath side."

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Hmmm. Compare that with the advice sent out to boaters attending the IWA festival in Worcester over the bank holiday weekend:

"Moorings at this year's Festival are proving to be a bit problematic at the moment caused by the large amount of reed growth on the towpath side of the canal. When we first selected the site, back in 2019 the reeds were not a problem.  However, they are now growing more and more and in some places encroach onto the canal by 2 or more metres.  Unfortunately, for ecology reasons, CRT are not permitted to remove the reeds. We also are not allowed to cut back the reeds or vegetation on the towpath side."

These weren't being cut back, they were being dug and ripped out and discarded.

I don't mind fisherfolk but most of them do seem to mind me. 

Passing a fishist on the Nene I noticed he had a loaded catapult aimed at me. I not so politely explained that if he discharged said instrument I would be on the bank in seconds and he may not be. The threat was withdrawn and peace and harmony prevailed.

When I arrived at Wellingborough (EA water) I found a C&RT organised fishing event consisting of three fishists spread along the only visitor moorings. There is a large stretch of river bank with no mooring signs further along the same location. I complained to C&RT but no response.

The majority of fishists I pass and give  a cheery wave to either scowl, pretend to be fiddling with their hook or mouth something ending in off.

And I'm expected to understand their needs, I don't even understand if they have humanoid brain cells!

Edited by Midnight

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

Anyhow, last years cancelled competition returns this Saturday, same length of canal.

CRT would like to know where this was happening. I've told them I'd try to find out.