Stuck at Anthony Lock, Rochdale Canal

David Mack

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I have stopped there before. But it's not such a good choice. Several people told us that the level had been seriously down as the Shire Cruisers hire boats wind in the wide section, so take a lockful out and don't bring one down. Apparently Belfast had been at a very drunken angle several times over the 2 weeks it had been there. And most of the contents of the kitchen worktops were on the floor, so I can believe it.

No problem in 65, but yes, we grounded below it.

Its quite a big pound, short but wide, you were over a bit whilst we were there but nothing serious. Lock 25 has been giving trouble, did you get through ok? Looked like a top paddle was leaking badly into the lock and draining the pound above, so maybe people letting water down to sort it.

...............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

Its quite a big pound, short but wide, you were over a bit whilst we were there but nothing serious. Lock 25 has been giving trouble, did you get through ok? Looked like a top paddle was leaking badly into the lock and draining the pound above, so maybe people letting water down to sort it.

...............Dave

Isn't that the one with the bad leak at the bottom, so it's hard to get a level going up?

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The restoration from Littleborough to Manchester was funded by a fixed Millennium grant. Inevitably, some costs rose, but there was no extra money. So the final works were cut back in scope. Which is why a number of the shallower sections were only dug out over a narrow channel, rather than full width.

At the time various folk said other moneys would be forthcoming, to finish the job. But 20 years on, it hasn't happened.

There a very good book detailing the Rochdale restoration, it was real seat of the pants and bending the rules stuff. Amongst other things the money ran out so the restoration "company" took out a huge loan on the understanding that various councils could not give capital but would pay off the loan.

It surprises me that the K&A is often cited as the bravest modern restoration but its not a patch on the Rochdale.

................Dave

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yea barkin’

Brilliant. 
Worth it though,

Enjoy?

Did the Huddersfield shallow last September. Not done the Ashton. But need to be in Mirfield for end of September. Don’t fancy the Rochdale again. So no alternative  CRT could be busy ?

41 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Did the Huddersfield shallow last September. Not done the Ashton. But need to be in Mirfield for end of September. Don’t fancy the Rochdale again. So no alternative  CRT could be busy ?

Not done the Ashton myself, but helped a friend up and down much of it, this was with a moderately deep boat. It looked to be quite shallow, including some of the locks, so one good bit of pushhbike/scrap steel etc dumped in a lock can be a big problem. I assume you will have a grappling hook or similar with you.

..................Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Not done the Ashton myself, but helped a friend up and down much of it, this was with a moderately deep boat. It looked to be quite shallow, including some of the locks, so one good bit of pushhbike/scrap steel etc dumped in a lock can be a big problem. I assume you will have a grappling hook or similar with you.

..................Dave

No. Not yet!!. Could have done with one on the Rochdale. Does CRT give you a discount for dredging off your licence!!!

2 hours ago, Jon57 said:

The Ashton is ok regards the easy single locks and it has an interesting landscape. Quite an up hill climb and great to look back in places, seeing Manchester get further and further away. 
I’m not aware of it being particularly bad for deep boats. Dunno. 

It’s quite nice in places from Fairfield Jn to Portland Basin. You go passed some well posh places  

I’ve never done the Rochdale from New Islington to Summit, so I’m eager to see what the fuss is all about ??

2 hours ago, dmr said:

..................Dave

We didn't have any particular problems with Belfast on the Ashton last autumn.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

We didn't have any particular problems with Belfast on the Ashton last autumn.

My friend had a very difficult time, including having to spend a night stuck in a lock. She was boating a bit "out of season" so I suspect the rubbish had built up, and its a very unfortunate boat for these canals, a standard modernish boat with a small engine and small prop but for some reason a lot deeper than normal, it gets stuck on everything and hasn't got the power to push over things. Yours might be deep but I suspect its got a lot of go.

.................Dave

15 hours ago, dmr said:

Lock 25 has been giving trouble, did you get through ok? Looked like a top paddle was leaking badly into the lock and draining the pound above, so maybe people letting water down to sort it.

But now being sorted. Received this this morning:

Notice Alert

Rochdale Canal
Starts At: Lock 25
Ends At: Lock 26

Tuesday 11 August 2020 10:15 until Tuesday 11 August 2020 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair

Original message:

We are undertaking an urgent repair to an offside paddle at Lock 25 and we have to lower the water level between Lock 25 and Lock 26 to carry this out safely.

Navigation between these two locks is temporary closed until we complete this repair.

We will work as quickly and as safely as possible and aim to have this stretch of the navigation reopened this afternoon.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/18087/repair-to-an-offside-paddle-low-water-levels

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

My friend had a very difficult time, including having to spend a night stuck in a lock. She was boating a bit "out of season" so I suspect the rubbish had built up, and its a very unfortunate boat for these canals, a standard modernish boat with a small engine and small prop but for some reason a lot deeper than normal, it gets stuck on everything and hasn't got the power to push over things. Yours might be deep but I suspect its got a lot of go.

It would have more 'go' with a proper engine and matched prop. The ST3 has more than enough power, but it is really too high revving, even with the 3:1 box (the engine was originally fitted with a 2:1, long before our time), and is somewhat under propped. That said, it goes along at a fair lick in open water, and even stops quite well (but does slew badly sideways), but there isn't enough 'grunt' when it comes to accelerating from rest, or pulling against a resistance.