Meadow Lane Lock

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

If a cleat on a boat or on a lockside can take the weight of the boat dangling then it is not by intentional design - I'll leave boat cleats out of this as that's not what we're talking about. 

In specifying a lockside bollard then one would expect the forces designed for to include a lateral force such as holding or stopping a heavy boat - this might be as a result of the paddles being open rather than the bollard being used as a brake. It may be that the design that allows for this also takes the weight of a boat dangling from the bollard, it may not

I've seen boats hung up with ropes, but I've never seen them come clear out of the water, so the bollard wasn't taking anything like the full weight, and I have seen mooring cleats on the bank come off - indeed I took one off myself when I thought the person on the front deck had untied...  

In any event, in this case the weakest point was the coping, not the bollard! 

Oh we were clear of the water in Keadby Lock! Not an experience we are wanting to repeat in a hurry but just one of those things. Our ropes jammed around chains on the lockside bollards, unfortunate that both did the same thing at almost the same time, and as we were right under the lock tower with boats behind us the lockie didn't see what was happening. We quickly hailed him in the VHF and he stopped the lock and came to free our ropes. We landed back in the lock with a bit of a splash, the next option was to cut the ropes.

Reading the books that came with our boat the stern and bow cleats are rated at 3.5 tonnes each, the spring cleats in the middle are a lot less at 1 tonne each. Presumably the higher ratings are for towing and being towed but they do mean that in theory just one of them could hold the weight of the boat if hung.

Hopefully in this case it will be a quick fix.

21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Having hung our boat a couple of times, most noticeably in Keadby Lock when the ropes snagged on chains around the bollards on the lock side out of sight of the lockie in his tower, we can say that no damage was caused to the boat or to the lock.

May I suggest you need to pay more attention in locks then if you have got so hung up your hull is clear of the water. 

• Haha 1

My third policy covers this ...

We will cover your legal liability to compensate other people if someone dies or is injured, or property is lost or damaged as a result of your interest in Scholar Gypsy up to a limit of £5,000,000 in respect of any one accident (which shall be deemed to include a series of accidents occurring in connection with or arising out of any one event) but unlimited in the aggregate.

... but subject to this exclusion ...

Wilful misconduct or acts of recklessness by you, or those to whom this policy extends, including but not limited to when under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

48 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

My third policy covers this ..

... but subject to this exclusion ...

Wilful misconduct or acts of recklessness by you, or those to whom this policy extends, including but not limited to when under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

pretty sure his actions would constitute recklessness, looks like somebody has a big bill incoming.

55 minutes ago, frangar said:

May I suggest you need to pay more attention in locks then if you have got so hung up your hull is clear of the water. 

I must admit I get nervous when descending in a big lock when  you get out of site of your ropes. It seems all too easy for a rope to get caught in a crevice in the lock side or get jammed on the lock side bollard or cleat and if it is one of the locks where a lockie takes your rope, passes it round something and back to you, I always watch that they do it in such a way that the rope can't get jammed.  

haggis

18 minutes ago, haggis said:

I must admit I get nervous when descending in a big lock when  you get out of site of your ropes. It seems all too easy for a rope to get caught in a crevice in the lock side or get jammed on the lock side bollard or cleat and if it is one of the locks where a lockie takes your rope, passes it round something and back to you, I always watch that they do it in such a way that the rope can't get jammed.  

haggis

I carry an axe for this purpose. It would part the rope in a second and before the boat got hung up. The axe is by the steering thingy when under way. I was taught this by the best in 1973 and its stuck with me. I did use it once when first narrowboating and starting to get hung up in a lock due to a jammed rope, not been needed for 30 years since but always ready.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, haggis said:

.. It seems all too easy for a rope to get caught in a crevice in the lock side ...

I have seen that happen - the rope had to be cut which was hazardous in itself

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Not a lot we could do about it when the lock is operated by a lock keeper who can't see us from his location and emptying fast!

By the time we had hailed him on the VHF and he had stopped the lock we were a good few feet out of the water. Could have been a lot worse had we not had the VHF as we were completely out of his line of sight under the lock tower.

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I carry an axe for this purpose. It would part the rope in a second and before the boat got hung up. The axe is by the steering thingy when under way. I was taught this by the best in 1973 and its stuck with me. I did use it once when first narrowboating and starting to get hung up in a lock due to a jammed rope, not been needed for 30 years since but always ready.

We have since always carried a pair of sharp knives onboard, one in the cockpit and the other in the anchor locker so that we can cut the ropes if needs be.

You still need to be careful with that though as we have seen a cut rope injure a crews face when their boat hung up in Ocean Lock and they cut the rope and the cut end whipped across their face.

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Can't say I have experienced a boat being hung up personally but  some locks , eg tidal locks ,are not controlled by the boater.

A boat was almost trashed in Keadby when the keeper opened the outer gates nearly hitting the bow of a boat . We were packed in like sardines and had nowhere to go until others behind adjusted their position ....... but fortunately the keeper heard our calls to stop......just in time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

One of the (many) advantages of steel wire risers.

I also prefer using a rope that is fixed to the bollard and then let out or taken in at the boat end. So if the lockie asks for a line, I would pass up a bowline to be dropped over a bollard.  That way I stay in control. [NB I know in theory you get a bit more leverage with a double length line, but the friction on the bollard and lock side is such that this effect will not be anywhere near 2:1].

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

If a cleat on a boat or on a lockside can take the weight of the boat dangling then it is not by intentional design - I'll leave boat cleats out of this as that's not what we're talking about. 

In specifying a lockside bollard then one would expect the forces designed for to include a lateral force such as holding or stopping a heavy boat - this might be as a result of the paddles being open rather than the bollard being used as a brake. It may be that the design that allows for this also takes the weight of a boat dangling from the bollard, it may not

I've seen boats hung up with ropes, but I've never seen them come clear out of the water, so the bollard wasn't taking anything like the full weight, and I have seen mooring cleats on the bank come off - indeed I took one off myself when I thought the person on the front deck had untied...  

In any event, in this case the weakest point was the coping, not the bollard! 

If you go to Gainsborough you will notice a missing cleat, I was tied up when a largish agar caught me, boat went up faster then the pontoon and it ripped the cleat from the pontoon! Right performance getting tied up again

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Same here taught by an ex working boatman they seem to know best

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Oh we were clear of the water in Keadby Lock! Not an experience we are wanting to repeat in a hurry but just one of those things. Our ropes jammed around chains on the lockside bollards, unfortunate that both did the same thing at almost the same time, and as we were right under the lock tower with boats behind us the lockie didn't see what was happening. We quickly hailed him in the VHF and he stopped the lock and came to free our ropes. We landed back in the lock with a bit of a splash, the next option was to cut the ropes.

Reading the books that came with our boat the stern and bow cleats are rated at 3.5 tonnes each, the spring cleats in the middle are a lot less at 1 tonne each. Presumably the higher ratings are for towing and being towed but they do mean that in theory just one of them could hold the weight of the boat if hung.

Hopefully in this case it will be a quick fix.

Richard and I have been jammed in a lock on the aire and calder, lock keeper had a few boat to put in so he arranged us Richards boat is 10 foot beam mine 12 foot as the water went down we jammed on the sides and were well clear of the water before he heard our yelling!! other boats close said they were terrified that we would drop and sink them and ourselves! when water went up we floated easily which was a surprise

Notice Alert

Nottingham & Beeston Canal
Starts At: Lock 7 - Meadow Lane Lock
Ends At: Lock 7 - Meadow Lane Lock

Monday 10 August 2020 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Vandalism

Update on 11/08/2020:

We have been advised that the repair works at Meadow Lane, will need to be carried out by one of our Crane Boats. 

This is currently on route to site and should be at the location by Thursday Evening, ready for works to commence on Friday morning. 

Our maintenance team will firstly need to clear out all the stone and debris from the lock, and cut off the twisted escape ladder.   

There are many large stone blocks below water.  They will then be able to carry out a full assessment with our structural engineer on site. 

Once this assessment is completed, we will know the full extent of the damage caused and be able to plan what repair works are needed and estimate a possible date of completion. 

We will then update our website on Friday, with our plan of action. 

We apologise that we can’t be more precise at this time, and appreciate our customers continued patience.

Original message:

Due to vandals causing damage to the lock wall and
ladders, Meadow Lane Lock has had to be temporarily closed off. 

Our structural Engineer will be attending site today to assess the damage and the works needed to reopen the lock as quickly as possible. 

Once this assessment has been completed, we will be able to update our website with a time scale of when the repair works will be completed. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate our customers patience at this time.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/18083/meadow-lane-lock

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/my-trust/notices and uncheck 

Edited by Naughty Cal

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Update on 11/08/2020:

We have been advised that the repair works at Meadow Lane, will need to be carried out by one of our Crane Boats. 

This is currently on route to site and should be at the location by Thursday Evening, ready for works to commence on Friday morning. 

Our maintenance team will firstly need to clear out all the stone and debris from the lock, and cut off the twisted escape ladder.   

There are many large stone blocks below water.  They will then be able to carry out a full assessment with our structural engineer on site. 

Once this assessment is completed, we will know the full extent of the damage caused and be able to plan what repair works are needed and estimate a possible date of completion. 

We apologise that we can’t be more precise at this time, and appreciate our customers continued patience.

I expect they will get on with it as promptly as possible since its  a hazard waiting for new of the local drug addicts or criminals to have an accident.

On 11/08/2020 at 10:36, mrsmelly said:

We have a small axe front and back easily accessible. Only needed once so far when in a lock in Belgium and we got hung up on an underwater shelf running along the side wall of the chamber. The lockies thought it was hilarious and carried on opening the paddles so out came the axe. They looked more serious when they saw me hacking away at our front rope but no apology. There were times when I wished we did the locks over there!

• Horror 2

Notice Alert

Nottingham & Beeston Canal
Starts At: Lock 7 - Meadow Lane Lock
Ends At: Lock 7 - Meadow Lane Lock

Monday 10 August 2020 until Friday 28 August 2020

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Boat damage

Update on 14/08/2020:

The Crane boat arrived on site on Thursday and our maintenance team have been working hard to clear out all the stone and debris from the lock, and cut off the twisted escape ladder. 

Our Structural Engineer has been on site and carried out a further assessment.  Based on this assessment, we estimate the repair works to take approximately two weeks.

As we receive more information and progress reports with regards this stoppage, we will update our website accordingly.

Update on 11/08/2020:

Original message:

Due to vandals causing damage to the lock wall and
ladders, Meadow Lane Lock has had to be temporarily closed off. 

Our structural Engineer will be attending site today to assess the damage and the works needed to reopen the lock as quickly as possible. 

Once this assessment has been completed, we will be able to update our website with a time scale of when the repair works will be completed. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate our customers patience at this time.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/18083/meadow-lane-lock

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/my-trust/notices and uncheck the relevant box.

open.php?u=10513099&id=3648a1d747fb42ff8c8be4227f9e3367

On 14/08/2020 at 16:47, MartynG said:

Not a lot to complain about there .

A shame valuable funds are being spent  on this  but can't fault the response.

Yes they get some stick on here sometimes but the response to this seems quick and the communication is good too.