Meadow Lane Lock

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

I hear there are quite a few boats on the Trent below Nottingham from Derby Motor Boat Club that were  prevented from travelling  back to their home base due to this incident so spare moorings in the area  are understood  be scarce.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I hear there are quite a few boats on the Trent below Nottingham from Derby Motor Boat Club that were  prevented from travelling  back to their home base due to this incident so spare moorings in the area  are understood  be scarce.

My mate Alan wants to go the other way! He is stranded at Derby motor boat club and is very annoyed 

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

We were in Nottingham last weekend and there were boats moored all along the steps at county hall so I'm sure plenty of them would have only been there for the weekend.

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We were in Nottingham last weekend and there were boats moored all along the steps at county hall so I'm sure plenty of them would have only been there for the weekend.

Wasn’t that bit of bank disputed ownership? At one point it had quite a few “long term” residents....

On 11/08/2020 at 10:15, haggis said:

I must admit I get nervous when descending in a big lock when  you get out of site of your ropes. It seems all too easy for a rope to get caught in a crevice in the lock side or get jammed on the lock side bollard or cleat and if it is one of the locks where a lockie takes your rope, passes it round something and back to you, I always watch that they do it in such a way that the rope can't get jammed.  

haggis

Serious question but why do you need ropes when descending a lock? I only use the centre line when single handed and then I'm stood on the lockside.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Serious question but why do you need ropes when descending a lock? I only use the centre line when single handed and then I'm stood on the lockside.

Ah, I was talking about big locks as on a river, rather than a canal.  On a canal I am off operating the lock and have no contact with ropes but on a river where the locks are operated for you, I stand at the front and control the bow rope.  This involves handing it to the lock keeper if going down and he passes it back to me after he has put it round something or if going up, I throw the rope up onto the lock side.  It is going down that worries me and I always feel relieved if I see that the lock keeper is keeping an eye on things. 

haggis

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

You cant do that on  the locks on The River Trent below Nottingham.

You do need to have ropes on to control the boat even  when descending , especially if it's windy.

The chap at the front of this lock decided he was only going to use one rope. Needless to say it didn't go well.

DSC-0826.jpg

Took an absolute age to get through the lock as every time the keeper opened the sluice even slightly the boat buggered off across the lock :rolleyes:

On 16/08/2020 at 09:08, stagedamager said:

Its a shame the second lock at Beeston isn't usable as that would have still given a through route.

True, but I think it's the thick end of 100 years since that lock last saw a boat, and the river has quite a gradient from the lock tail to the centre of Nottingham, a typical narrow boat might struggle 

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The chap at the front of this lock decided he was only going to use one rope. Needless to say it didn't go well.

DSC-0826.jpg

Took an absolute age to get through the lock as every time the keeper opened the sluice even slightly the boat buggered off across the lock :rolleyes:

But insisting 2 ropes are used when descending in a lock alone is stupid,  especially if you're single handed.  The old time keepers at Cromwell are quite happy to shut the gates behind you and drop you down while you hang around in the middle of the lock, very sensible. 

On 16/08/2020 at 13:33, frangar said:

Wasn’t that bit of bank disputed ownership? At one point it had quite a few “long term” residents....

Yes, its not Carts it is local council who dont give a hoot.

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

True, but I think it's the thick end of 100 years since that lock last saw a boat, and the river has quite a gradient from the lock tail to the centre of Nottingham, a typical narrow boat might struggle 

Correct. I have taken a narrowboat up near to the lock but you do need to know the river. It is possible to get a long way though past county hall in much deeper craft and past Wilford toll bridge without any problems whatsoever.

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

But insisting 2 ropes are used when descending in a lock alone is stupid,  especially if you're single handed.  The old time keepers at Cromwell are quite happy to shut the gates behind you and drop you down while you hang around in the middle of the lock, very sensible. 

You won't have much luck getting the latest locky at Cromwell to let you do that ?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have come across him a few times. Bit of a stickler for "the rules" and thinks he knows best.

On the  basis of  two short conversations with the guy that's what I thought too.

mussol10.jpg

The boat that caused all the damage at Meadow Lane lock was a large Cruiser called  "STEALTH", the owner Tim Jones is a complete idiot, I've known of him for years, he used to work at McDonald's on Ratcliffe road telling everyone he was "head of maintenance", where he was actually employed as the cleaner, he was last seen heading towards Sawley at considerable speed apparently.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

3 minutes ago, JerryP said:

The boat that caused all the damage at Meadow Lane lock was a large Cruiser called  "STEALTH", the owner Tim Jones is a complete idiot, I've known of him for years, he used to work at McDonald's on Ratcliffe road telling everyone he was "head of maintenance", where he was actually employed as the cleaner, he was last seen heading towards Sawley at considerable speed apparently.

No doubt at some point he will have to pay for the damage caused or at least I hope he does

A McDonald's cleaner unlikely to be able to finance that repair,,,,,,, wonder,,,,,,will his insurance cover it?   I doubt it.

Likely it will land on the licence payers once more. 

Edited by Tracy D'arth