To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Vandalism

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Nottingham & Beeston Canal

Starts at: Lock 7 Meadow Lane Lock

Ends at: Lock 7 Meadow Lane Lock

Description

Due to vandals causing damage to the lock wall and ladders, Meadow Lane Lock has had to be temporarily closed off. 

Our structural Engineer will be attending site today to assess the damage and the works needed to reopen the lock as quickly as possible. 

Once this assessment has been completed, we will be able to update our website with a time scale of when the repair works will be completed. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate our customers patience at this time.

32 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

According to a CRT employee:

"he thought he had a leak so tied a strap to hold the boat up then drained the lock in hope to find the leak"

The boat owner concerned has come forward and admitted causing the damage.

You couldn't boil them as soft!

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

Bloody well hope so .

There’s a few boaters around that area with dubious boats that have been a pain to CaRT for years, often seen by Sainsbury’s or the County Hall,  if one of those I doubt they can pay, if you boat that area you will know what I mean.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There’s a few boaters around that area with dubious boats that have been a pain to CaRT for years, often seen by Sainsbury’s or the County Hall,  if one of those I doubt they can pay, if you boat that area you will know what I mean.

There were a few around over the weekend.

20 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Their insurance should surely foot the bill?

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You normally surmise they have no insurance or licences or clean clothes.....has your stance changed?

You can be rather snide sometimes.

Is there some history here?

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You normally surmise they have no insurance or licences or clean clothes.....has your stance changed?

Given that I don't know who these people are then I have no "stance" regarding them.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You can be rather snide sometimes.

Is there some history here?

No. He's just being a dick.

4 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I am not sure my insurance policy would cover this sort of wilful act.

I suppose they would have to decide if the damage caused was wilful or an accident. 

Could you really predict that intentionally hanging your boat would cause extensive damage to the lock? 

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I suppose they would have to decide if the damage caused was wilful or an accident. 

Could you really predict that intentionally hanging your boat would cause extensive damage to the lock? 

Are you being sarcastic?? I would have thought most would predict that hanging even the lightest plastic boat off the bollards wouldn’t end well....but I guess there are some very stupid people out there. 

For those that haven't seen the Facebook picture....117713399_689412458453924_69572410560089352_o.jpg.6ab1b390c71516885e2be6f60c49d3fd.jpg

The insurance company may have to pay out on the third party cover element - but third party cover is exactly that, it covers the third party, I think the insurance company may then seek to claim against the boater

It's clearly misuse but the normal warnings against tying a boat when locking down are that the boat will get hung up rather than the lock wall will collapse, although when one considers the forces involved the latter outcome is clearly likely.

I seem to recall CRT's 3 bollard policy came about as a result of boaters bending lock ladders.... 

Since a boat hanging up on ropes is a possibility it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume the bollard might take that load from a rope attached to a suspended boat .

However i don't think  bollards or their anchorage into the  canal lock structure are in fact designed on that basis . 

Perhaps C&RT should thank  the boater for highlighting the inherent weakness in the lock construction and compensate him for any damage sustained to his boat?

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Are you being sarcastic?? I would have thought most would predict that hanging even the lightest plastic boat off the bollards wouldn’t end well....but I guess there are some very stupid people out there. 

Having hung our boat a couple of times, most noticeably in Keadby Lock when the ropes snagged on chains around the bollards on the lock side out of sight of the lockie in his tower, we can say that no damage was caused to the boat or to the lock.

Most boats in reasonable condition should be able to hang from their cleats with no major damage caused and it isn't unreasonable to expect that a lock should be able to support a hung boat. After all it isn't an unheard of occurrence and is easily done with a slip of concentration or a snagged rope.

33 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

For those that haven't seen the Facebook picture....117713399_689412458453924_69572410560089352_o.jpg.6ab1b390c71516885e2be6f60c49d3fd.jpg

The insurance company may have to pay out on the third party cover element - but third party cover is exactly that, it covers the third party, I think the insurance company may then seek to claim against the boater

It's clearly misuse but the normal warnings against tying a boat when locking down are that the boat will get hung up rather than the lock wall will collapse, although when one considers the forces involved the latter outcome is clearly likely.

I seem to recall CRT's 3 bollard policy came about as a result of boaters bending lock ladders.... 

That is all well and good if the bollards are spaced anywhere near sensibly for smaller boats. I recall we had issues in some of the locks and moorings upstream of Nottingham the last time we went up that way as the bollards were all circa 35-40ft apart which is of no use for a 25ft or smaller boat.

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Most boats in reasonable condition should be able to hang from their cleats with no major damage caused and it isn't unreasonable to expect that a lock should be able to support a hung boat. After all it isn't an unheard of occurrence and is easily done with a slip of concentration or a snagged rope.

If a cleat on a boat or on a lockside can take the weight of the boat dangling then it is not by intentional design - I'll leave boat cleats out of this as that's not what we're talking about. 

In specifying a lockside bollard then one would expect the forces designed for to include a lateral force such as holding or stopping a heavy boat - this might be as a result of the paddles being open rather than the bollard being used as a brake. It may be that the design that allows for this also takes the weight of a boat dangling from the bollard, it may not

I've seen boats hung up with ropes, but I've never seen them come clear out of the water, so the bollard wasn't taking anything like the full weight, and I have seen mooring cleats on the bank come off - indeed I took one off myself when I thought the person on the front deck had untied...  

In any event, in this case the weakest point was the coping, not the bollard!