Orchard Marina - what's happening?

pearley

Featured Posts

Came past today. Empty of water and boats. Digger in the basin. Difficult to see it being enlarged as it has road on one side and higher ground to rear and other side.

Guess all the boats have been relocated to Park Farm Marina as it's much fuller than last year.

Edited by pearley

15 minutes ago, pearley said:

Came past today. Empty of water and boats. Digger in the basin. Difficult to see it being enlarged as it has road ok n one side and higher ground to rear and other side.

Guess all the boats have been relocated to Park Farm Marina as it's much fuller than last year.

from what i gather from Facebook its being dredged as it was well silted up, also new jetties and facilities block going in. 4-6weeks work they reckoned.

all boats moved across to Park Farm as its owned by same people.

• 1 year later...

Just came across this thread! They were a wee bit out in their estimate of 4-6 weeks to remove all the pontoons, dredge and replace the pontoons in Orchard marina. It is now well over a year and although the marina looks as if it has been dredged, there are no pontoons and the stop planks are still in - with a tree growing up the back of them. There has been little sign of any work being done for a while. No idea what the hold up is although I have heard it said that  they put water in and it  leaked and another story is that the workers downed tools. 

haggis

35 minutes ago, haggis said:

Just came across this thread! They were a wee bit out in their estimate of 4-6 weeks to remove all the pontoons, dredge and replace the pontoons in Orchard marina. It is now well over a year and although the marina looks as if it has been dredged, there are no pontoons and the stop planks are still in - with a tree growing up the back of them. There has been little sign of any work being done for a while. No idea what the hold up is although I have heard it said that  they put water in and it  leaked and another story is that the workers downed tools. 

haggis

Last time I passed, not too long ago, it did have the look of an abandoned site, there was no activity in a normal working day. After a night of heavy rain there was water but only in large puddles. The edge of the canal has been shuttered with planks but that is all.

• 7 months later...

After nothing happening for a long time, we noticed when we came back from our recent trip that they were busy laying pontoons. Presumably all the rumours about it being filled in and Morrisons using the space were just that, rumours.

I understand that before it closed for dredging this was one of the marinas where you didn't need a licence or BSS and I wonder if that will change when it reopens. 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

After nothing happening for a long time, we noticed when we came back from our recent trip that they were busy laying pontoons. Presumably all the rumours about it being filled in and Morrisons using the space were just that, rumours.

I understand that before it closed for dredging this was one of the marinas where you didn't need a licence or BSS and I wonder if that will change when it reopens. 

If your not over the canal bed then I thought you did not need a licence but BW and Crt realised they would lose out on a lot of money so changed the rules

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If your not over the canal bed then I thought you did not need a licence but BW and Crt realised they would lose out on a lot of money so changed the rules

I understood it was to do with the age of the marina - grand father rights - or where the water feed for the marina comes from. I don't think it has anything to do with whether the marina is over the canal bed or not. If that was the case, most marinas would be exempt.

No doubt someone will be along to tell us what defines a marina where you don't need a licence or BSS

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I understood it was to do with the age of the marina - grand father rights - or where the water feed for the marina comes from. I don't think it has anything to do with whether the marina is over the canal bed or not. If that was the case, most marinas would be exempt.

No doubt someone will be along to tell us what defines a marina where you don't need a licence or BSS

I understand the need for a Bss . I would not want a load of boats moored up next to each over which did not have a bss. 

It is usually, if not always, a question of grandfathers rights, and not all used to demand a BSS, and they often were licence agents for BW, even selling day licences which were very useful, though the best were the book of 30 day tickets to use at one’s convenience, if one remembered to....

It's nothing to do with water feed. To connect a marina to the canal you need to remove part of CRT's canal bank, and to do that you need their consent. CRT make that consent conditional on the marina entering into a Network Access Agreement, and the NAA includes conditions that the marina will in turn require all boats therein to be licensed (and hence have a current BSC and insurance). Those marinas where a licence is not required either predate the NAA and have a different connection agreement, or are on river channels where riparian owners have a right to connect anyway, and so no access agreement is needed.

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

We all tried that when mooring fees came in, as we weren't over the canal bed but farm fields! Sadly, we were still floating on BW water...

7 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I think most non licence marinas are on old canal arms that were derelict when the canals were nationalised, and old arms were seen as unwanted and worthless, even an unnecessary cost.

The one I was referring to above is on an old disused canal arm.

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

We all tried that when mooring fees came in, as we weren't over the canal bed but farm fields! Sadly, we were still floating on BW water...

I'm sure I've read somewhere of someone successfully arguing that CRT and their predecessors had allowed the bank to erode so far that the boat was moored on land beyond the canal boundary and so no 

mooring fee was payable. However that does leave you exposed to the risk of CRT putting in a line of piling between your boat and their canal.

• 1 year later...

I've just passed. Three diggers and several men working. Lots of recent work on the bankside moorings and elsewhere.

The basin is now about half full (it was empty a few weeks ago). One of the workers says they're deliberately filling it and should be at canal level in a week.

1 hour ago, Francis Herne said:

I've just passed. Three diggers and several men working. Lots of recent work on the bankside moorings and elsewhere.

The basin is now about half full (it was empty a few weeks ago). One of the workers says they're deliberately filling it and should be at canal level in a week.

i was close then!

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 14:54, Francis Herne said:

An interesting development! 

Tiny bit late for this winter, but would do for us....   although given current progress, maybe another year till the first boats?