Covid 19

Oddjob

Featured Posts

Has anyone on here give their boat name as a point of isolation for 14 days after returning from overseas. My Wife is in India where our permanent home is but wants to come to UK. We only have our boat and no house in uk we are on a cc license as I leave it at which ever marina I am near to when I leave uk so don’t have a marina address. 

Edited by Oddjob
Spelling

4 hours ago, Oddjob said:

Has anyone on here give their boat name as a point of isolation for 14 days after returning from overseas. My Wife is in India where our permanent home is but wants to come to UK. We only have our boat and no house in uk we are on a cc license as I leave it at which ever marina I am near to when I leave uk so don’t have a marina address. 

Chances are, no one setting the rules has thought of it. Give them the precedent that @peterboat describes of boat dwellers spending lock-down on their boats if challenged. 

Jen

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Chances are, no one setting the rules has thought of it. 

Agreed.  Chances also are, no-one setting the rules has any idea of how to enforce them or the inclination to do so if it gets at all difficult. I can't honestly see "them" sending their staff anywhere to check and neither can I think the police would wish to get involved in such a time consuming exercise. I suspect they use mobile phone numbers and give up pretty quickly if they have trouble getting an answer - imagine the resources required to do anything more.  The whole thing can only be trust based, surely? At best, I think if anyone was caught being a one man infection machine, the fact they'd not isolated after travel would count against them. 

Maybe someone does actually know how this works but, for me at least, the messages all went a bit Pete Tong when Dominic Cummings driving to Barnard Castle so as to find out if he could do it safely when concerned about his eyesight turned out not only to not be a traffic offence, but also to be a sensible interpretation of the lock-down rules. I don't think I'm alone in this.

• Greenie 3

Bad case of Corona seen on a boat recently...

20200810_191110.jpg

Considering our World Beating Contact Track and Trace system has just jettisoned 6000 of its staff members, I cant see a problem if you state a septic tank in Yorkshire as your home address.....other than the fact that someone will say ...

Luxury....

Edited by matty40s
  • Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Me and Di both had Covid, and have pathology reports to say we now have anti-bodies. I am totally unable to find out if (and why) we are supposed to be isolating if we go to say France and back. Logic says no, but it doesn't seem to get a mention anywhere.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Me and Di both had Covid, and have pathology reports to say we now have anti-bodies. I am totally unable to find out if (and why) we are supposed to be isolating if we go to say France and back. Logic says no, but it doesn't seem to get a mention anywhere.

Tam

Apparently you can get a stifficate from Northern Ireland and go out that way...

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

Logic may not be required! Here's the NHS advice with reference to antibody tests.

106398874_728780094551639_7589145712292185176_n.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

Logic may not be required! Here's the NHS advice with reference to antibody tests.

106398874_728780094551639_7589145712292185176_n.jpg

That advice makes a bit of a mockery of all the millions being spent on trying to create a vaccine, IMHO

What is a vaccine if it isn't a safe mechanism by which the body is encouraged to create antibodies?

You can bet your bottom dollar that, when a vaccine is available and deemed to work safely, the NHS, (government), advice will be that you are safe, (within reasonable limits), from the virus, if you've been vaccinated.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

That advice makes a bit of a mockery of all the millions being spent on trying to create a vaccine, IMHO

What is a vaccine if it isn't a safe mechanism by which the body is encouraged to create antibodies?

You can bet your bottom dollar that, when a vaccine is available and deemed to work safely, the NHS, (government), advice will be that you are safe, (within reasonable limits), from the virus, if you've been vaccinated.

Even with an immune response, nothing is saying it impossible to catch the virus. It is just the body has developed a response, in advance. Like a flue jab. 

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Even with an immune response, nothing is saying it impossible to catch the virus. It is just the body has developed a response, in advance. Like a flue jab. 

Nothing wrong with what you say, but you miss my point completely.

The current advice seems to suggest that there is a difference between the antibodies the body creates when it has the actual virus, and the "better" ones it will create after a vaccination.

Otherwise, the advice will remain the same, a vaccination will achieve little, and you would wonder what the point is?.

• Greenie 1

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I see that NHS advice is that even with anti-bodies I am supposed to remain 2 metres distanced!!!!! So why has government recommended only 1m now? I assumed they had spoken with the boss of the Covid gang and he'd said they wouldn't bother to travel more than 1m now - Johnson ought to tell the NHS that.

Tam

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Nothing wrong with what you say, but you miss my point completely.

The current advice seems to suggest that there is a difference between the antibodies the body creates when it has the actual virus, and the "better" ones it will create after a vaccination.

Otherwise, the advice will remain the same, a vaccination will achieve little, and you would wonder what the point is?.

Peoples' strength of immunity differ. It could be the immune response to a vaccine may be consistently stronger. I don't have the expertise to judge. 

10 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I see that NHS advice is that even with anti-bodies I am supposed to remain 2 metres distanced!!!!! So why has government recommended only 1m now? I assumed they had spoken with the boss of the Covid gang and he'd said they wouldn't bother to travel more than 1m now - Johnson ought to tell the NHS that.

Tam

At this moment, you would still be able to pass on the virus, and as yet, there is no vaccine to suggest not abiding by the guidelines should be the way. The government suggest a shorter distance because it is less than total removal of the social distancing while not wishing to suggest it is all over and done with, with the virus. And the government is under a great deal of pressure to attempt some movement toward normality. 

Edited by Higgs

2 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

My cousin we believe had it in early March, all the then expected symtoms. His son took him to hospital hospital, put on oxygen for 3 days, recovered and discharged. I asked his son if he asked them if it was Covid, they replied that they couldn't tell him. It was early days of the virus so they probably weren't certain.

15 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

Indeed, many folk don't know what a metre is never mind two. I was in Aldi this morning, one family wandering about in there, none wearing masks, I'd have kicked em out if I was the manager. I kept well clear of them. Aldi's are quite small inside compared with the big supermarkets. I like to go in and get out quickly.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Indeed, many folk don't know what a metre is never mind two. I was in Aldi this morning, one family wandering about in there, none wearing masks, I'd have kicked em out if I was the manager. I kept well clear of them. Aldi's are quite small inside compared with the big supermarkets. I like to go in and get out quickly.

Unfortunately, it seems that the lack of enforcement of the face covering rules means that people who don't want to wear them don't bother. You and I cannot challenge them and the supermarkets won't for the reason that their staff suffer the consequences when they do. 

If I was king for a day I'd make one store in each town not require facemarks and refuse entry to the unmasked at all others. Not sure how to do public transport - maybe red buses for the unmasked and blue for the masked? [For the avoidance of doubt I'm not suggesting staff should be forced to work in these unmasked environments; they could volunteer if they wished].

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I thought that I had read that the antibodies that a vaccine will promote are different - and potentially more effective - than those that result from having had COVID-19.

10 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

When introduced, Chris Whitty was careful to say that the social distancing was still 2m with the alternative of 1 m+ and additional precautions, mainly face coverings. It seems that a lot of people only heard the 1m bit.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Really? Surely you wouldn't squander such an opportunity on something like that! ;)

I'm sure I'd think of some other innovations :)

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I thought that I had read that the antibodies that a vaccine will promote are different - and potentially more effective - than those that result from having had COVID-19.

When introduced, Chris Whitty was careful to say that the social distancing was still 2m with the alternative of 1 m+ and additional precautions, mainly face coverings. It seems that a lot of people only heard the 1m bit.

Obviously some people know a lot more about antibodies than I do. Which is probably why I don't have a flu jab since my understanding is that the flu vaccine is designed to protect against the strains of flu they *think* will be around the following winter.

Many people only managed 1m when the guidance said 2m. 

12 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

It would be interesting to see what you read, and where. Logic suggests that that is unlikely to be the case although, as a layman, I obviously can’t say it’s impossible.

12 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Most people I come into close’ish contact with seem to have no concept of social distancing, whether it be a metre with a mask, 2 metres without a mask, or at all.

I find it quite unbelievable that people are either prepared to take the serious risk of catching it, or are ignorant of the ongoing risk.

• Greenie 1