Stuck in pound between Mile End and Johnson locks, Regents Canal

Philip

Featured Posts

Just asking if anyone around this area is able to or knows anyone who can let some water down from Mile End lock to the pound below it please? I've got stuck in the pound mid channel, tried the CRT office but mo answer.

Thanks if anyone can help!

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Which flags do you run up for a stranding? Have you phoned the emergency number, 

To report an incident Call 0303 040 4040   ?

That isn't the emergency number. For any kind of problem that is preventing navigation the emergency number is 08004799947

24 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

That isn't the emergency number. For any kind of problem that is preventing navigation the emergency number is 08004799947

The 0800 number goes directly to C&RT, whilst the 0303 number goes to a call handling service that operates the Emergency services 999 number and fills in the time with taking calls for other 'big' customers.

This is one reason why its pretty hopeless trying to explain where you are by using 'canal information' (like bridge number 25, or 'Maureen's lock') but give them lat & long and you'll be fine.

Whenever I have had a problem and used the 0800 number they always know where I am if I give a lock or bridge number. If it is non-urgent (like an operable but damaged lock or bins overflowing etc) I just send an email. The occasions I have had to phone the 0303 number the waiting time wasn't worth it!

20 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Whenever I have had a problem and used the 0800 number they always know where I am if I give a lock or bridge number. If it is non-urgent (like an operable but damaged lock or bins overflowing etc) I just send an email. The occasions I have had to phone the 0303 number the waiting time wasn't worth it!

Never had an issue with 0303 etc. number. I do realise its an answering service. A company i worked for employed such a company. Didn't leave otherwise unanswered calls. Customers felt cared for!?

I thought the 0800 number is for out of hours emergencies wheras the 0303 number is for all calls during normal hours. I certainly was able to report low water levels at Granary Wharf in Leeds last Friday on the 0303 number. I chose the "general enquiries" option and that worked fine and someone who knew where Leeds was answered the phone. They could see the locations of River Lock as well as Office Lock and arranged for someone from North East CRT to ring me back.

I also recently (before Covid) had occasion to report something on a Saturday morning, and rang the 0303 number and got straight through to a CRT employee. Worked a treat.

Edited by Alway Swilby

4 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Do they respond?

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Do they respond?

Yes to the 0800 always, and to the emails also after a few days. I think the choice of number to phone is all down to how urgent or serious the issue is. General low water probably not but they do say if boats or other property is at risk of damage to phone the 0800 number.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

0800 according to my licence. I think the clue is the 999 bit.

IMG_20200810_164619024_BURST001.jpg

This is not really up to date though. It refers to British Waterways and waterscape.com. The 0303 number replaced all the local phone numbers (like the Watford one shown in the picture) and didn't exist under British Waterways. Does the Watford office even exist any more?

WAP mobile! How quaint!

18 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

This is not really up to date though. It refers to British Waterways and waterscape.com. The 0303 number replaced all the local phone numbers (like the Watford one shown in the picture) and didn't exist under British Waterways. Does the Watford office even exist any more?

WAP mobile! How quaint!

But the emergency number, which what this post has ended up discussing, is the same. Do not so out of date.

Form the C & RT website:

Contacting us in an emergency

Here are the details of who to contact in an emergency, as well as in other urgent situations.

Emergencies

In an emergency call 999 immediately. When you have received a response from the emergency services, then inform us on 0800 47 999 47.

When to call 999       

When lives are at risk (includes
serious injury, illness, fatality,
rescue help, fire or explosion on a boat).

Call 999
  If properties are at risk Call 999 
  To report a crime Call 999
Other emergency numbers           
  To report noise Call your local authority
  To report pollution to the environment (this includes dead fish or shoals of fish gasping at the water surface)  Call the Environment Agency 0800 80 70 60

Urgent calls

When the situation is urgent, but not an emergency - please call our 24 hour emergency contact number. Please be aware that we will make a judgement based on the severity of the incident and it is not always appropriate for an on-duty staff member to respond directly.

Call us when    
  There is a dangerously damaged lock, bridge or tunnel Call 0800 47 999 47
  A boat is trapped in a dangerous
situation eg on a weir or a lock
Call 0800 47 999 47
  There is serious flooding or a breach
which risks lives or property
Call 0800 47 999 47
  Serious pollution Call 0800 47 999 47
  To report an incident Call 0303 040 4040

Incident reporting 

The easiest way to report an incident is to call 0303 040 4040, or if you prefer please use our - Incident reporting form

Non-urgent calls

Please use our customer services form to let us know about any non-urgent problems you have, or have spotted.