My engine blown need another urgent

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

If a rod /Conrod snaps it’s normally the small end in the piston that gives up  this is often caused by over reving the engine or

short of oil 

It makes a glorious mess when that happens, i had one go driving my old ?Austin Cambridge to Chichester the police were not happy that I'd coated the dual carriageway with oil.

I imagine the OP got the same loud bang and a cloud of smoke followed by the instant stop.

The lovely old VW air cooled engines were notorious for this. Mine never did it but a friends did. As an air cooled they ran hot so with a bit of detonation would melt the piston, as a flat engine the rod then dropped slightly and the shoulder came right out through the side of the block.

I wonder what one would be like in a boat ?

................Dave

2 hours ago, dmr said:

The lovely old VW air cooled engines were notorious for this. Mine never did it but a friends did. As an air cooled they ran hot so with a bit of detonation would melt the piston, as a flat engine the rod then dropped slightly and the shoulder came right out through the side of the block.

I wonder what one would be like in a boat ?

................Dave

Closest I’ve seen in a Narrowboat