My engine blown need another urgent

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

No details!? Why the nastiness! As I said it’s a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder that’s all I know jeez just asking for some help! It’s ok I won’t bother you lot again

Well I wish you well trying to get another engine if you do not even know the engine model and number. It will be all too easy to get a three cylinder Mitsubishi that is very different to the one you have now so it won't fit and/or the marine parts don't fit.

Almost certainly you will find the Mitsubishi engine number on the block or head somewhere. Maybe a drive riveted on aluminium plate or a machined face with the numbers stamped into it. I expect the first few characters will give the model.

Without that information I doubt anyone here can help you much but you have been given a lead to someone who may have the parts to rebuild yours.

I find it increasingly annoying when folks come on here expecting an instant and detailed answer to quwestions such as 'how long is a piece of string', when later you find out they need an anchor warp...

I started boating when there were no fora (almost no internet) and 'you' had to tread carefully - it seemed reasonable to give as much information as reasonable.

"Can I get my boat through the eye of a needle" is of little value on it's own...

Now the forum is besieged with folks who expect and answer - but don't know what the question is and throw their toys (sic) if they get chided...

2 hours ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

No details!? Why the nastiness! As I said it’s a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder that’s all I know jeez just asking for some help! It’s ok I won’t bother you lot again

No nastiness that I saw.  Simply frustration with you not answering simple questions, leaving us all to guess.  Perhaps we shouldn't have bothered, seeing as you can't be bothered to help yourself.

• Greenie 3

May be people who want to get technical help should be asked to answer a pre determined set of basic questions. That will remove much of annoyance on both sides.

questions related to location, engine or the relevant equipment and a few pictures.

People are having trouble attaching pictures here due to file size which is also an issue. 

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

People are having trouble attaching pictures here due to file size which is also an issue. 

Part of that is that mobile phone cameras produce such high resolution pictures now that the file size is huge. Most don't know how to get them down to a reasonable size. 

Jen

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Part of that is that mobile phone cameras produce such high resolution pictures now that the file size is huge. Most don't know how to get them down to a reasonable size. 

Jen

I don’t! Honestly! But sometimes you get asked if you’d like to downsize or whatever its called.

Regarding the OP’s issue.  I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

And even then photograph the one thing nobody is interested in, how much oily water is in the bilge.

I am grieved that the OP feels we are not helping or we don't care.

But the responses, few in number, the attitude that came back and the confrontational boat name give me cause for concern that this could be a guy who needs a lot of help.

Is there a male forum member who is prepared to go and see him?

In all honesty I would not feel safe approaching this guy myself, too old for fighting.

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am grieved that the OP feels we are not helping or we don't care.

But the responses, few in number, the attitude that came back and the confrontational boat name give me cause for concern that this could be a guy who needs a lot of help.

Is there a male forum member who is prepared to go and see him?

In all honesty I would not feel safe approaching this guy myself, too old for fighting.

I know its frustrating, but you cant help people who don't want help. Let nature take it's own course. 

Unwanted help not only gets unappreciated, its also resented by some(like me). You should save your energy for those who want and can take your help.

57 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Yes Terry said that this week to me. As I dont use a photo for pictures I don't have a clue what he should use. Piece of cake on the laptop

9 hours ago, Eeyore said:

I got a flounce just by asking for a photo; I think I’ll “dine out” on that for a while ?

In no way trying to start a competition but I got the impression the OP took exception to me saying he probably does not know the engine model and engine number - both of which he will need if he needs spares. I just feel sorry for him on so many levels.

• Greenie 3

22 hours ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

Underneath big hole all the oil and water now in bilge! Water bilged out bilge pumps full of oil! Temp went right to end of the scale 

Could you provide a photo of the big hole in the engine, both close up, and wider angle? Just so someone who may be able to help can see exactly where it is and what might have caused it.

It would also help to provide a photo of the whole engine, perhaps from above, and from both sides.

FYI the colour of an engine can be a guide to identifying it. Mine is a yellow Mitsubishi 4 cylinder, which suggests that it was marinised by Vetus. I used to have a green Montego 2000 4 cylinder, which suggested it was marinised by Volvo Penta, and so on.

Edited by Richard10002
  • Greenie 1

23 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

May be people who want to get technical help should be asked to answer a pre determined set of basic questions.

That's not really necessary if they simply have good manners.  If they're asked a question then reply to it.  It's not rocket science.

• Greenie 2

56 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That's not really necessary if they simply have good manners.  If they're asked a question then reply to it.  It's not rocket science.

I am not suggesting for a moment that people who are helping strangers are to be blamed but new guys usually dont know how this forum works, may not have access to internet all the time... so they just post and comeback after a day only to see angry remarks from increasingly frustrated member who want to help.

some of them may show humility, some may flip and say 'sod it, I don't need your help'. We all have egos, even those with a rust bucket and dead engine. 

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

I am not suggesting for a moment that people who are helping strangers are to be blamed but new guys usually dont know how this forum works, may not have access to internet all the time... so they just post and comeback after a day only to see angry remarks from increasingly frustrated member who want to help.

some of them may show humility, some may flip and say 'sod it, I don't need your help'. We all have egos, even those with a rust bucket and dead engine. 

There were no angry remarks until the OP returned to the forum and deliberately declined to answer simple questions like "what colour is the engine". If answering that questsion was too much of a chore for him, we are well rid.

22 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There were no angry remarks until the OP returned to the forum and deliberately declined to answer simple questions like "what colour is the engine". If answering that questsion was too much of a chore for him, we are well rid.

am not talking about this thread specifically(may be OP is indeed a grumpy man ), just a general observation (I have seen it happening a few times)